Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loosing teeth after gastric bypass and the easy way out?

On 8/31/2022 at 1:15 AM, Smanky said:

Do people who insist it's the easy way imagine it's ... what? Like the tooth fairy? Fat is taken away by the blessed pixies every night as we still eat whatever we like?

This is the premis of a particularly charming episode of Doctor Who! (Well, it's actually one of those sorts of things that's horrifying when you really think about it.) But the equivalent of the fat-taking blessed pixies are painfully cute.

Edited by Nepenthe44
confusing spelling error

On 9/1/2022 at 1:17 AM, Erin18 said:

Makes me feel a bit better now and I will still talk to the surgeon about it too. Thing about my dentist, it's like they cancel my appointment every time I have one. I've only seen them twice since I started going there and that was back in July or August of last year. I had an appointment in November and December and they both got canceled. Then they rescheduled it for january this year...canceled. scheduled for Feb, then March. Didn't cancel the appointment in April. Next appointment was in July canceled, then my appointment was August 8th and they canceled that too. My next appointment is at the end of next month. I know I should switch dentists, but no one in my area accepts my insurance.

But whenever I do get in there, I will also make sure to let them know that I'm going to be getting wls and I care about my teeth. I already have weakened enamel on my top front teeth so that does scare me a bit. They were supposed to put something on them to help them and they haven't yet.

And im always going to tell people, when I announce someday that I had wls, that it isn't the easy way out. I know we have to put in like 95% of the work and it does the rest. People who say it's the easy way out are super clueless.

find a new dentist

So my take on this is, just watch your Calcium, floss daily, brush at least twice daily, see your dentist 1-2 times per year, get a cleaning done yearly, and you will be fine. The surgery itself won't cause your teeth to fall out. You just have to get plenty of calcium (if I don't eat food with enough calcium on a given day, I still take my supplement to make up the difference).

Edited by SleeveDiva2022

Could be many reason why they lose their teeth. Genetics, how well someone takes care of their Teeth, keeping up with regular dentist appointments. Are they taking the right Vitamins for bariatric surgery.

The only east way out I ever see is not doing nothing.

How much is from pre existing conditions? Or hadn’t been picked up previously like the dentist who said his x rays are more detailed now. If we’re honest for many of us our diet before surgery wasn’t the best & potential for dental issues as a result is great. (The stats on children who drink lots of soda & tooth decay is frightening.) And many don’t regularly see their dentist for many reasons.

Genetics is a big factor. My brother has never had a filling in his life. He’s 52 & also obese (always battled with his weight just like I did). His dentist tells him he’d go broke if every patient was like my brother.

Acid from reflux or gerd will cause damage to the tooth enamel not fillings. I was diagnosed with reflux more than 20yrs ago admittedly not a severe case & I managed a lot of it with dietary changes. Mind you I know I experienced reflux symptoms from a teenager so 40 odd years ago. I often get my dentist to check extra carefully for any acid damage & none has been found yet though he did say I had a little wear recently but said it was more like what occurs with age. (Yeah that made me feel great.) If you do have issues with reflux & gerd you need to speak with your doctor or surgeon.

I think you need to find a new dentist @Erin18. One who is reliable.

I immediately thought of the Dr Who episode too (Partners in Crime) with the space babies formed from human fat @Nepenthe44. Remember thinking when I first saw it if only those Adipose pills were real. 😆😆

On 9/10/2022 at 11:18 PM, Arabesque said:

How much is from pre existing conditions? Or hadn’t been picked up previously like the dentist who said his x rays are more detailed now. If we’re honest for many of us our diet before surgery wasn’t the best & potential for dental issues as a result is great. (The stats on children who drink lots of soda & tooth decay is frightening.) And many don’t regularly see their dentist for many reasons.

Genetics is a big factor. My brother has never had a filling in his life. He’s 52 & also obese (always battled with his weight just like I did). His dentist tells him he’d go broke if every patient was like my brother.

Acid from reflux or gerd will cause damage to the tooth enamel not fillings. I was diagnosed with reflux more than 20yrs ago admittedly not a severe case & I managed a lot of it with dietary changes. Mind you I know I experienced reflux symptoms from a teenager so 40 odd years ago. I often get my dentist to check extra carefully for any acid damage & none has been found yet though he did say I had a little wear recently but said it was more like what occurs with age. (Yeah that made me feel great.) If you do have issues with reflux & gerd you need to speak with your doctor or surgeon.

I think you need to find a new dentist @Erin18. One who is reliable.

I immediately thought of the Dr Who episode too (Partners in Crime) with the space babies formed from human fat @Nepenthe44. Remember thinking when I first saw it if only those Adipose pills were real. 😆😆

It's hard finding a dentist who accepts my insurance and they're the only dentist who accepts mine and it also sucks that they're an hour away. I wish I had the money to just go to a dentist and do monthly payments. But that would be costly ugh

On 9/2/2022 at 7:17 AM, ShoppGirl said:

I’m not sure if yours is similar to what I had several years ago but once someone else told me and I shopped around I realized that the dental insurance was not saving me that much money. Not enough to be limited to dentists that I didn’t feel were that great. Maybe call around and ask for the cash price for what you are having done (especially if it’s just routine stuff) and see if you are really saving enough to put up with their mismanaged scheduling.

My insurance covers everything at the dentist. But they can't do full x-rays more than once a year or something. I need fillings and they were supposed to put something on my weakened enamel to help support it or something. It's just really hard when you don't have much money for that kind of stuff😔 so I feel like I just have to stay patient and wait

On 9/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, SHORTY_ said:

Totally agree with this, "work smarter not harder" ... unless it's weight loss surgery apparently. We all know going through this journey it's not the easy way out. It surprises people when I tell them all the life-altering changes we have to make. I do think it's SLOWLY starting to become more acceptable to society. It makes me sad that most people wait till it's their very last option (✋🏼💁‍♀️👈🏼 Hi, it's me I'm one of the people) because they're afraid they are going to be labeled for taking "The easy way out". It's life-changing and I don't regret it for a second, anyone that doesn't or wouldn't understand my decision is probably not someone I want around in my life anyway.

I'm that person too. I wish I went for it back when I decided the first time I wanted to get surgery again. Back in 2014. But I let people get in the way of that

On 9/2/2022 at 7:51 AM, ShoppGirl said:

I am so glad that I stumbled upon this post because I have somewhat unexplained dental issues and I am going to ask if they are possibly related to sleeve. I have been going to the dentist twice a year since I had teeth, religiously. I have had a few small cavities over the years but fortunately no issues beyond that.

All fillings have to be replaced eventually so I was not totally surprised when my dentist found a chip in a filling (this was the first one I have ever had that chipped) When he found THREE chipped fillings though, I admit I was a little shocked. I mean, same time last year I had my teeth checked by the same dentist and had zero issues (plus the hygienist cleaned them 6 months ago and didn’t notice anything) so within a period of 6-12 months three fillings are beginning to fail??

This dentist took over the practice a couple years ago, he bought it from my favorite dentist who retired but my hygienist is still there so I just kept going. Well my first thought was is this guy just trying to make a bunch of money off of me by saying my fillings are chipped? I even considered getting a second opinion but of course I’d have to pay for that and I know the fillings will be due to be replaced anytime now.

Well, now I am wondering if the acid is making the fillings wear faster because of the surgery?? My appointment is in a couple weeks. I will definitely be asking his opinion on this and what if anything I can do. I know it’s not a Vitamin issue because i am very good about those and my labs have been excellent. For what it’s worth if it IS related to surgery though I did not have any vomiting or reflux. I did not have issues getting Protein or Vitamins. Didn’t even lose any hair? ? This could all be total coincidence but it sure seems suspicious time wise.

I haven't got my surgery yet, but I also found a chipped filing or tooth. I wish the dentist I used to go to didn't retire because I never had to worry if they were gonna cancel and I always had my routine check ups and cleanings. It's so hard to find a new dentist. Wish I had another health insurance that places will take it

You can absolutely lose your teeth if you have bad teeth and you throw up often. Calcium deficiency can cause this. I forced myself to vomit 2x and I’m 1month and 10 days out. The hair thinning is more concerning to me but this is still worth it. I’m 30lbs down 5’6 was

220 after 2, 4, 7, 9 yo kids.‘I was able to get it and

jumped

On 9/16/2022 at 12:26 AM, Erin18 said:

My insurance covers everything at the dentist. But they can't do full x-rays more than once a year or something. I need fillings and they were supposed to put something on my weakened enamel to help support it or something. It's just really hard when you don't have much money for that kind of stuff😔 so I feel like I just have to stay patient and wait

You could consider telling the insurance company about the issues you are having with finding an adequate dentist that can see you timely. Perhaps they will work on adding new providers in your area.

On 9/17/2022 at 7:20 AM, ShoppGirl said:

You could consider telling the insurance company about the issues you are having with finding an adequate dentist that can see you timely. Perhaps they will work on adding new providers in your area.

Good idea. I was actually gonna call my insurance to see if there were anything better

I’m 7 yes post op and have had to have a few teeth pulled due to cavities. Although I’m religious about brushing and flossing. I think the surgery probably has a small bit to do with it but for me at least it’s genetic. I have since gotten a partial denture. Hair loss after WLS is not uncommon and as I found out in my follow up with my program today it is common to happen again if you’re not keeping up with your Protein.
My biggest piece of advice is to keep your follow up appointments that are recommended by your program. I didn’t and have struggled with the rollercoaster of losing and gaining I had before. Thankfully I’m back in the program though not necessarily for another surgery but to get things going in the right direction. Good luck to you!!

On 8/30/2022 at 11:45 PM, Erin18 said:

Hi guys,

So lately I've been seeing posts on tik tok and comments on there about people losing their teeth sometime after gastric bypass. That scares me a bit, but not stopping me from getting the tool. They all say they take their Vitamins everyday. What could be causing them to lose their teeth? Is there something I can do to help prevent that?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16989694/#:~:text=Acidic levels in the oral,dental caries and tooth erosion.