Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

keto practice time success

am starting my pre op eating habits early (no surgery date yet - late sept or early oct) and am trying to do less than 50 total carbs a day (keto) but not strict (been 75 carbs - 2 days and under 50 - 5 days this past week) …

and it has worked well this last week! down 6 lbs :) in one week!!

I am now down to 389.8 (8/23/2022)from my high weight last year of 452. (426 in April 2022)

woo hoo yay me :)

Thats awesome. You have knocked 10 points off your BMI already. You are doing so well.

had another weight drop this morning… must have been retaining some Water because it was 385.4! checked a couple times to make sure it wasn’t a fluke reading.

confession time… part of me wishes i had confidence that i could keep this up and loose weight I desire without the surgery. yes, i have already changed my lifestyle and worked super hard to overcome binge eating and emotional eating…even if something happens and i can’t have surgery i will loose some weight and be better off because of the changes to me……

but i know it would be difficult keep up this particular diet long term. I love love love Beans and legumes and sushi too much to be this strict all the time… I also know how hard it would be to really reach my goals without a lot of medical help at my weight. fighting biology sucks :) i want to be under 235 (150 more lbs) but secretly want to be under 200 (185 more lbs… aim for the stars!!)… mostly i just want to be somewhat normal and not always be the fattest person in the room or worried about if i can sit someplace … and stop getting “those” looks that people give ultra fat people…

terrified that without surgery it will be ultra easy to become that binging person again… or simply that it will be too hard to fight the biology of my metabolism to really achieve what i want in a reasonable amount of time….each day i am getting older ya know;)

so enjoying the accomplishment for now… i had an arbitrary goal to be 378 before surgery and it now seems reasonable since i still have a month… time will tell!

just another update… down to 374.4!

thats 65 lbs this year so far!

it’s been several years since i have seen my weight under 390!!

Been doing some really hard emotional work and am pretty used to the keto… think that combo is bringing success

That’s amazing!!!! And every pound you lose now will make it that much easier post surgery. I am just finding this post for some reason but have you considered counseling for your binge eating and emotional eating??. I have seen quite a few people swear that was a huge component of their success along with the surgery.

@ShoppGirl thank you for asking. I have done a lot of therapy over the years and simply i was not ready to use what I learned then.

My life circumstances just did not allow me to make the adjustments without pretty much having a breakdown or loosing things I wasn’t willing to loose even tho it was hurting me. About a year and a half ago, my mind and body realized that my life circumstances had changed and I could start processing all of that and making my life better. with this year, I finally was able to start implementing the tools and tricks and skills I had learned in therapy but wasn’t able to implement because of other pressures.

I feel right now that I am on my best mental footing in twenty years. I am clearer with my desires and boundaries. Frankly, right now I think a new therapist would just muddy the waters because I am doing more on my own than a therapist ever did, but using techniques that I learned from them. I have about six journals that I have filled this year which really mimic what therapy was for me. But now instead of spinning wheels and just staying alive, I feel totally different and am starting steps towards living again.

If I stop making progress or hit a hard bump I am more than willing to go back to therapy, but I just don’t see the benefit right now for me. I haven’t binged since very early this year. I stopped the behavior and I am not just white knuckling my way through but finding forgiveness and inner peace to keep the urges from happening. i have been setting boundaries around the things that were causing me to eat my feelings. I am standing up and not accepting the gaslighting or other bad behaviors anymore.

I never really understood before what being “ready” meant. It almost brings me to tears of relief when I think about how amazing it feels compared to the struggle. I am ready and walking the path and it feels good, even with the emotional work pain.

I wish everyone could find their “ready” because it just makes life easier, even when doing hard work.