Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I made a post about GERD here: https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/441776-is-this-gerd/

But now I'm not sure what is going on. So here's what I'm dealing with:

1) burning in my throat and occasionally my chest and stomach

2) nausea when eating anything at all, no matter what it is or how much or little of it I try to eat

3) can't tolerate anything but liquids now

4) if I try to eat, it literally won't go down. It sits at the bottom of my throat and doesn't move for AGES. Drinking liquid doesn't help. It just gets stuck there, too.

5) lots of burping and hiccups

6) dark, sticky kinda poo (sorry, tmi)

7) heaviness and pain in my upper stomach/abdominal area

8 ) occasional shortness of breath

9) feeling full after literally 2 or 3 bites of something (small bites, and before stuff wouldn't go down, I was trying to eat and I would be PAINFULLY full after 2 or 3 bites)

10) literally woke up with what felt like acid in my throat this morning (now my throat feels raw and hurts)

Some of this sounds like GERD, but some of it doesn't. My husband looked it up and said it sounds like a hiatal hernia, but I don't know. Anyone have experience with that? I'm up late because I'm in so much pain and I can't sleep. Definitely looking forward to calling my surgeon's office. But still, anyone on here have any clue at all what this might be??

Go to the doctor. The dark sticky poop may mean you're bleeding somewhere in your stomach/intestines. GERD is just acid in the esophagus, which burns and feels uncomfortable, but doesn't include 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 or 9. I suffered from it acutely for the best part of two decades before WLS.

Hiatal hernias can definitely make you feel uncomfortably full, short of breath and very burpy.

But go to a doctor asap. No one on here will be able to do much beyond guess and that won't help anyway.

2 minutes ago, Smanky said:

Go to the doctor. The dark sticky poop may mean you're bleeding somewhere in your stomach/intestines. GERD is just acid in the esophagus, which burns and feels uncomfortable, but doesn't include 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 or 9. I suffered from it acutely for the best part of two decades before WLS.

Hiatal hernias can definitely make you feel uncomfortably full, short of breath and very burpy.

But go to a doctor asap. No one on here will be able to do much beyond guess and that won't help anyway.

I'm calling when the office opens. I'm just trying to figure this out in the meantime.

On 08/22/2022 at 01:49, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I made a post about GERD here: https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/441776-is-this-gerd/

But now I'm not sure what is going on. So here's what I'm dealing with:

1) burning in my throat and occasionally my chest and stomach

2) nausea when eating anything at all, no matter what it is or how much or little of it I try to eat

3) can't tolerate anything but liquids now

4) if I try to eat, it literally won't go down. It sits at the bottom of my throat and doesn't move for AGES. Drinking liquid doesn't help. It just gets stuck there, too.

5) lots of burping and hiccups

6) dark, sticky kinda poo (sorry, tmi)

7) heaviness and pain in my upper stomach/abdominal area

8 ) occasional shortness of breath

9) feeling full after literally 2 or 3 bites of something (small bites, and before stuff wouldn't go down, I was trying to eat and I would be PAINFULLY full after 2 or 3 bites)

10) literally woke up with what felt like acid in my throat this morning (now my throat feels raw and hurts)

Some of this sounds like GERD, but some of it doesn't. My husband looked it up and said it sounds like a hiatal hernia, but I don't know. Anyone have experience with that? I'm up late because I'm in so much pain and I can't sleep. Definitely looking forward to calling my surgeon's office. But still, anyone on here have any clue at all what this might be??

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this!! It sounds like a severe hiatal hernia but I’m not a medical expert. Please call your surgeon ASAP!!! Don’t let them schedule you where you have to wait. You need to be seen immediately. Put your foot down! Tell them you’re in extreme pain and this is emergent. Have them work you into their schedule. Let us know what they tell you.🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️

I tried to edit my post but it wouldn’t let me….. anyway, I also wanted to add that you should tell your surgeon you think you may have an ulcer that could possibly be bleeding. I think that would account for the very dark stool. (I know, TMI but, hey, we’re all friends here.)

Sounds very acid reflux/ GERD related, except the abdomen and stomach pain.

That could be 1000 things. Gallbladder issues are common after WLS, my surgeon put me on preventative medication for 6 months. Appendix, depending where the pain is? Dark tar like stools are a sign of blood in your stool, could be something very serious.

Definitely call your surgeon ASAP this morning and get it looked into.

I hope you feel better soon!

Hopefully you are about to call your dr now. I agree with others that you should be seen right away. Perhaps tell them that you are willing to wait to be fit in between patients. Be sure to emphasize that you believe you have blood in your stool and fear that you are bleeding somewhere. If they absolutely say they can’t fit you in ask if someone can at least call you asap to let you know if it sounds emergent. If it does sound emergent ask if you should request any particular dr at the hospital. Of course you can’t always get who you want but sometimes there is an option. Basically just don’t be nice and agreeable and let them push you off. Keep asking questions until you get the help you need. And keep us updated when you have time.

Hi all. It's only 6:35am where I'm at, so they aren't open yet. I did want to mention to @kcuster83 that I had my gallbladder out back in 97 so I know it's not that. The pain is my upper abdomen/stomach area.

I will definitely be very assertive with them. I may even have my husband drive me to their office and just sit there if they can't do anything for me over the phone. I will let you all know what happens after I call (they open at 9am Mountain time). Thanks for your responses!!

Edited by SleeveDiva2022

3 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Hi all. It's only 6:35am where I'm at, so they aren't open yet. I did want to mention to @kcuster83 that I had my gallbladder out back in 97 so I know it's not that. The pain is my upper abdomen/stomach area.

I will definitely be very assertive with them. I may even have my husband drive me to their office and just sit there if they can't do anything for me over the phone. I will let you all know what happens after I call (they open at 9am Mountain time). Thanks for your responses!!

It's entirely likely they will tell you to go to the ER. This may or may not be related to your surgery, but is definitely serious enough to warrant a trip to the ER to get checked out.

@SleeveDiva2022 what did the dr say?

I’m wondering too. I’m hoping they said they could get her right in if she went right then and that’s why she hasn’t posted.

Hi sorry for the delay in update. I had to wait for the NP to call me back. I left a message with everything going on and she just called me and said my surgeon said to go to the ER. He's calling ahead to tell them to expect me and he wants a scope done to see what's going on. The NP said it sounds like a really bad hiatal hernia but they need to be sure. So I'm changing clothes and heading there. I'll let you know what's going on once I know.

3 minutes ago, SleeveDiva2022 said:

Hi sorry for the delay in update. I had to wait for the NP to call me back. I left a message with everything going on and she just called me and said my surgeon said to go to the ER. He's calling ahead to tell them to expect me and he wants a scope done to see what's going on. The NP said it sounds like a really bad hiatal hernia but they need to be sure. So I'm changing clothes and heading there. I'll let you know what's going on once I know.

So glad you got a prompt response and they are taking it seriously. Hope to hear they found it and fixed whatever it is very soon.

On 08/22/2022 at 13:26, SleeveDiva2022 said:

I figured they would probably tell you to go to the ER. I feel terrible that you have to do that but they can run tests that your surgeons office can’t. I hope everything is going okay and you can get some definitive answers! 💕