Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food intolerance after wls

Hey everyone!

I was just thinking, I had my bypass in Feb this year and I'm slowly but surely learning what I can and can't eat. There are randomly some foods I cannot stand now that I'm bypassed and it's not dumping, it just they taste to intense and sickening that I can't do it. Ever since surgery I am OBSESSED with hot tea (never was before). Drink it every day multiple times a day...something about a hot herbal drink feels so good in my esophagus lol

Here are things I cannot stand now that im bypassed but used to be able to eat in large amounts: peanuts, Peanut Butter, any Protein peanut powder or anything with peanut flavor, alfredo sauce, full fat cream cheeses or dairy based dips and spreads, pesto, corn based chips, nacho cheese sauce, mayo/cream sauces and dressing, gravy, chowder.

So mostly my taste buds and like my throat (I get a weird sensation there with these foods) have changed and it's like im super honed into how fatty a food is when before I wasn't. It's weird but of course I like it because it helps me eat better and know my limits.

So what are some foods you cannot do anymore after surgery that you liked before?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

bananas and any really high-fat meal. I used to love going to Friday night fish fries before surgery - can't handle those anymore. Way too much grease.

bananas and any really high-fat meal. I used to love going to Friday night fish fries before surgery - can't handle those anymore. Way too much grease.

I cant do bananas either! They make me nauseous :(

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I once had a small bowl of Cereal on a trip, and that led me to believe I was having a heart attack. Due to the sugar, I guess. My tastebuds never really liked sweet things but now my whole body seemed to react to it as well. That was months ago, and I haven't tried again. Other than that, I can tolerate everything else. Oh, I forgot, uncooked cabbage can be challenging.

Potatoes are the worst. They sit so heavily. Every now & again I’ll try them but … Had a couple of spoons the other day & nope still can’t. Felt so full & heavy I couldn’t eat the rest of my delicious duck, lentil & smoked beetroot lunch (was super delicious too).

Have to say I love my aversion to sweet foods. Not even tempted these days. Never liked pears & their grainy texture. Now I can eat a couple of slices & it’s okay. Mind you it’s with a wedge of Brie. 😆😆.

I was told that it was less likely to happen with sleeves, but I can attest that my tastes are DRASTICALLY different. I can't tolerate pickles anymore, can't eat salt because it's so intense I can't stand it, I have ZERO sweet tooth and actually am turned off at the idea of eating sweet stuff. Sour and tart stuff now tastes sweet to me. I don't like bacon anymore. Cottage cheese is HORRIBLE now. It tastes like it went bad to me, even when it's new (used to LOVE it). Lettuce doesn't sit well with me. It tastes fine but my stomach doesn't like it. Feels very heavy and uncomfortable. I used to be obsessed with fried foods, now I don't even think about it. I didn't go out of my way to avoid it, I just don't want it. I used to kind of be "meh" about hummus, but now it's literally my new obsession. Avocado was something I really liked, now it's "meh". My husband thinks it's so weird lol And now, before we buy anything I used to like that I haven't had since my surgery, he gets a tiny bit for me to try first because there's no guarantee I'll still like it lol

I would really like some family friendly recipes using chicken mince suitable for a chilli hating family. The last recipe I made was tiny chicken meatballs in a vegetable soup/broth. It tasted delicious and fresh. I still can not fit in any carbs so for the family they are separate. Any other chicken is still a no go area for me.

I had a revision and the thing I find most interesting is the food I had probably 4 nights a week post sleeve, can’t tolerate it and don’t like it anymore—tilapia! I had a go to way of cooking and spicing it and looking at it now makes me want to be sick 🤢 I’m actually getting more Protein from vegan sources and I’ve never had the desire to be vegan…just what my body can tolerate now.

1 hour ago, redhead_che said:

I had a revision and the thing I find most interesting is the food I had probably 4 nights a week post sleeve, can’t tolerate it and don’t like it anymore—tilapia! I had a go to way of cooking and spicing it and looking at it now makes me want to be sick 🤢 I’m actually getting more Protein from vegan sources and I’ve never had the desire to be vegan…just what my body can tolerate now.

What are some of your Vegan Proteins? I am not a huge meat fan so always looking for new ideas for Protein.

I admit I still haven’t tried anything deep fried so I am not sure about that but pretty much anything I makes at home before surgery I can tolorate after. The only thing I just don’t seem to enjoy the taste of afterwards is this southwest ranch seasoning packet I used to use to make chicken tacos. I used to love it and now it’s just blah. On the other hand I used to make myself eat fish once a week and now I actually enjoy it a little more. Still mild fish like mahi and snapper but it’s a taste change for me.

I am lucky or unlucky (how ever you prefer to see it) to be able to tolerance pretty much everything I have tried so far. I can't eat cold chicken and really that is just about it. bread sometimes sits very heavy and other times is fine. I don't eat it much so not too worried about it either way.

Red meat in any form be it steak or ground/chopped meat does not sit well with me. fruit is now overly sweet and orange juice-which i could drink by the gallon is really sweet and I just add a little to my Water if I want to flavor it. Mashed potatoes sit like bricks; I havent tried Pasta or bread (not until I'm 6 months out), and avocados taste like slime to me.

Mine have been eggs, beef and plain Water. I ate eggs almost every day before surgery, now I can barely tolerate them. Beef just sits super heavy in my stomach. I used to drink plain water before surgery and now can barely stand it. I use flavored water now except for the fruit punch flavor. I just can't with that. I'm still kind of early in so we will see.

Almost a year out, and I still can't eat white meat chicken. At all. Or turkey. It will not go down. eggs were weird... initially they were ok, then they weren't, and now they're good again. Hopefully they stay good, because it's an easy, versatile Protein. Rice... two spoons, ok. Two spoons and one grain, 🤢.

🤷🏾‍♂️

On 8/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, Candigrl1 said:

Mine have been eggs, beef and plain Water. I ate eggs almost every day before surgery, now I can barely tolerate them. Beef just sits super heavy in my stomach. I used to drink plain Water before surgery and now can barely stand it. I use flavored water now except for the fruit punch flavor. I just can't with that. I'm still kind of early in so we will see.

I would starve without eggs! I'm with you on the plain water but fruit punch is my favorite flavor. I've not had any aversion to what I've tried so far but I'm pretty cautious about what I eat. I only get carbs from my fruit and veggies. I don't eat any potatoes(except if I'm out and Mashed potatoes are an option... I've had them 2x in 9 weeks), no Pasta, no rice, no bread. First because I was told to wait 6 months post op and second because I'm worried they'll show my weightloss.

The weirdest taste thing for me was that I now ❤️LOVE❤️Applesauce. It's the first thing I had post surgery that had any real flavor and now we buy the cups by the case because I have at least 1 a day with Breakfast. It's my favorite food!