Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to pack for hospital stay and things needed post op once at home?

Heyyy yall! RNY is scheduled for Monday August 1st, the surgeon said I will be staying 1 or 2 nights, what are some things that will come in handy during my hospital stay and what are some things I need once I'm home?
Thank yall in advance. 🥰

don't take much to the hospital - you'll likely be sleeping most of the time. Phone and phone charger for sure. Comfy, easy-to-put-on clothes for going home (I just wore the same thing that I wore *to* the hospital). I brought toiletries (shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush and paste), but didn't need to because the hospital gave me a bag of them.

some people have dry mouth after surgery and like having Chapstick and Biotene mouth spray with them (I brought them but didn't need them)

other than that, not much else...

A cane was very helpful once i got home. Getting up is extremely difficult at first. Also a recliner.

recliner, cane, warm fluids for when home. Honestly, very little for the hospital. Phone and charger, slide on shoes/sandals, something loose with elastic waist to go home in. I actually wore the clothes to the hospital that I was wearing home. I wore my sandals and I had my phone and charger in my purse. Super easy.

Both of my surgeries I brought way too much. I brought my phone, tablet, chargers, books, CPAP (per doctor's orders), never used ANY of it. I spent all my time either sleeping or being awoken every two hours to walk around the floor.

As others said, not much. I slept overnight, woke up and went home. I would say something to wear that is really loose (I brought a large Tshirt type of dress) that you can just throw over your head to wear home, a small pillow waiting for you in the car to hug if you have a bumpy ride home.

I brought a whole duffel bag full of stuff and did not touch it once. I did bring a plush robe and slippers with non slip bottoms, which made walking in the hallway of the hospital more comfortable. I barely touched my phone since the first night I was out of it and then the next morning I went home after drinking my required liquids.

At home I slept on the couch most of the time and bought little containers for my liquids to take little sips from.

I brought my phone, charger and a toothbrush. Only thing I wish I brought was a robe. I was sometimes giving a free show to the nurses as I was walking around. (was wearing two gowns butttttt) LOL

I brought a loose fitting t-shirt dress to wear home, just like Tomo did. At the hospital, I slept and walked the halls around and around, in between them taking bloodwork or checking vitals every 2 hours. The next morning (one night stay) after showing that I could drink all of my fluids, I was discharged early evening.

Items I brought in small overnight bag - you won'r need much!

1. Light-weight robe (walking the halls)

2. Slippers

3. Phone, phone charger

4. Toiletries (toothbrush, paste, Shampoo, conditioner)

5. Loose fitting cotton dress to wear home/extra underwear

6. If you don't already have one, it's definitely worth investing in a heating pad for when you get home. It helps the soreness of your tummy SO MUCH! The hospital will have one for you to use while you're there.

The dress is Universal Threads Knit Tank dress from Target ($15) . Sooooooooooo comfy!!!!!!!

Here's the thread in case you want to check it out.

https://www.target.com/p/women-39-s-racer-back-knit-tank-dress-universal-thread-8482-green-m/-/A-84777392?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000014846111&CPNG=PLA_Women%2BShopping_Brand|Women_Ecomm_AA&adgroup=SC_Women&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9031508&targetid=pla-300925489891&ds_rl=1241788&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQjw54iXBhCXARIsADWpsG84noB9hlvFUs5V9l4BFt4xeDVXndX96CxW8Ht5cMV-UYdDMiivD2oaAubsEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

* Tip - the more you walk, the better you'll feel and eliminate gas pains

Good luck to you!!! You're going to do great and be so happy to be on the other side!!!

9 hours ago, Gonebacktohealthyandfit said:

I brought a loose fitting t-shirt dress to wear home, just like Tomo did. At the hospital, I slept and walked the halls around and around, in between them taking bloodwork or checking vitals every 2 hours. The next morning (one night stay) after showing that I could drink all of my fluids, I was discharged early evening.

Items I brought in small overnight bag - you won'r need much!

1. Light-weight robe (walking the halls)

2. Slippers

3. Phone, phone charger

4. Toiletries (toothbrush, paste, Shampoo, conditioner)

5. Loose fitting cotton dress to wear home/extra underwear

6. If you don't already have one, it's definitely worth investing in a heating pad for when you get home. It helps the soreness of your tummy SO MUCH! The hospital will have one for you to use while you're there.

The dress is Universal Threads Knit Tank dress from Target ($15) . Sooooooooooo comfy!!!!!!!

Here's the thread in case you want to check it out.

https://www.target.com/p/women-39-s-racer-back-knit-tank-dress-universal-thread-8482-green-m/-/A-84777392?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000014846111&CPNG=PLA_Women%2BShopping_Brand|Women_Ecomm_AA&adgroup=SC_Women&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9031508&targetid=pla-300925489891&ds_rl=1241788&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQjw54iXBhCXARIsADWpsG84noB9hlvFUs5V9l4BFt4xeDVXndX96CxW8Ht5cMV-UYdDMiivD2oaAubsEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

* Tip - the more you walk, the better you'll feel and eliminate gas pains

Good luck to you!!! You're going to do great and be so happy to be on the other side!!!

That dress is super cute and looks super comfy!! Thanks for the link 😍

I brought loose fitting pajama pants to wear under my gown. I just slept in them but if that’s not comfy you may want a robe to slip on when you walk. I also brought an extra long phone charging cord and was glad I did cause outlets are sparse.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:06 AM, jenuinelygenuinely said:

That dress is super cute and looks super comfy!! Thanks for the link 😍

You are so welcome! It is soooooo comfy too! I bought 5 of them (different colors)! 😂

I also brought a bunch of stuff but in the end (2 night stay) I only used my slippers, extra long phone charging cord, plug, phone stand and toiletries. I did download some movies on my phone that were favorites and this helped me fall asleep. I wore home what I wore to the hospital. Comfy, loose pants and a t-shirt. I slept, drank and walked.