Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Favorite sugar free and other low calorie sauces

I recently discovered Sweet Baby Rays sugar free Hickory BBQ Sauce which isn’t bad at all. Not quite as sweet as regular BBQ but it satisfied the craving. Then I learned here this morning that G Hughes makes a whole line of sugar free sauces, marinades and dressings. Just wondering if anyone else has tried those or has any other brands that they thought were good. I am trying to find a lower calorie versions to replace each of my pre surgery favorites (it’s amazing how many calories are in condiments). So far I have found a pretty good replacement for My ranch by Bolthouse farms. It’s not sugar free, but It’s made with yogurt so it is 50 calories a serving and that SBR BBQ sauce is 15 calories a serving but the G Hughes one is only 5 so hopefully that is just as good or better. Anyways, what lower calorie dressings and sauces do you buy? Or do you just budget for the good stuff??

I don't have a favorite artificial sweetener based sauce because I use full leaded sauces. I just use so little of them, just to give a sense of the flavor. I don't do artificial versions because, it's weird, but I would go full leaded versions in old quantities eventually, which would be bad. So I do an appropriate quantity of full leaded (which is very little), and it works out just right. It tastes right and i don't need to do more.

Good luck,

Tek

I think all of the SF sauces have a weird after taste. I have tried so many and have had no luck.

I just use regular sauce because I barely use it anyway. When I do, I measure it out and make sure I know exactly how much I use.

I think the bigger problems of our past was using 1/4 cup or more at a time rather than the 2 TBSP servings. Those calories add up FAST!

I'm with some of the others, the SF stuff just doesn't do it for me. They taste off, leave me wanting, and are generally full of all sorts of bizarre ingredients that make them less food and more science experiment. I have learned to Portion Control the "regular" stuff and fully enjoy it. If I am eating 100g of pulled pork for instance, I really only need a very small amount of BBQ Sauce to get the flavor I want and to be satisfied. So I might as well go for the good stuff, in appropriate amounts, and fully enjoy it vs. using more of the replacement and walk away still wanting more.

All that being said, seems to me that G Huges is a fan favorite. That's what I've seen most frequently recommended in bariatric circles.

I agree with the others. I only use regular sauces, but I portion them. I don't use them much anyway.
I am very careful and health conscious about ingredients in my food, so I don't like to use anything artificial, or things like high fructose corn Syrup or hydrogenated oils.
I have allowed for SOME sweeteners since my surgery, like Stevia or Monkfruit, but I limit them. As often as I can, I go for real ingredients.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using BariatricPal mobile app

Sweet Baby Rays also has Rays no sugar added BBQ Sauce that is pretty good. Not as sweet as the original but no weird after taste and fills the need. It's a good fit for BBQ sauce.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

I infrequently use sauces so I just opt for the regular stuff. However I usually use Olive Garden light Italian for salads. I don’t do ketchup either but my son loves sir kennsington ketchup

My salad world opened up when I had Waldens Chipotle Ranch dressing and their Creamy Bacon dressing. The Thousands Island is good too. I always have a few bottles of the first two on hand.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

I totally get the struggle to find lower-calorie sauces that still hit the spot. It's awesome that you've found some options like the Sweet Baby Rays sugar-free BBQ Sauce – I'll have to give that a try.

When it comes to sauces, I've stumbled upon some real gems that I think you might love too. I've been a fan of Alfredo sauces for ages, and recently, I found a list of the best store-bought Alfredo sauce brands in a jar. These sauces are not only lower in calories but also pack a ton of flavor. It's a win-win in my book. If you're interested, you can check out the link here: https://www.beststorebought.com/alfredo-sauce-brands-in-jar/

I use keto-friendly sauces like Primal Kitchen’s unsweetened ketchup and avocado ranch or I make my own from scratch. They may not be the lowest calorie, but I use so little of it that it isn’t really an issue and they have fewer chemicals and other garbage in them so I’m willing to make that sacrifice. They’re very, very tasty.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, SkinnyMingo1408 said:

Rays no sugar added BBQ Sauce that is pretty good. Not as sweet as the original

Rays has a sweet and spicy SF version along with SF Original and Hickory. Ray's Honey Mustard Dipping sauce is amazing too. I am never without a couple bottles.

Sweet Baby Ray's Expands Popular "Ray's No Sugar Added" Line with Two New sauces (prnewswire.com)

Skinnygirl also has a line of SF/FF products. salad dressings, preserves, drink mixers and Snacks. I love the Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing and was gifted a bunch of drink mixers I have yet to try.

With the popularity of Keto, there are now tons of SF options. Even ketchup. Too bad though that healthier choices are all so overpriced. 🤔

I've used "real" Salad Dressing since I was able to start eating salads a few months following my procedure; I just budget for them. I'm a big fan of poppyseed dressing and the only low-calorie one I tried was the Skinnygirl one and it made the salad inedible it was so bad. This is just me but I'd rather use a lot less of something that tastes good than be able to slather on something that doesn't. One trick I have done, though, is mixing additional vinegar (which is low calorie) into the dressing, maybe increasing the volume by 1/4, which lowers the overall calorie count but only ends up making it slightly more tart.