Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is over, I'm ready for my weight loss

Had my surgery on Tuesday. On Thursday I weighed 5lbs more than I did on Monday. Today, Friday, I'm down 1 lb. I know this is temporary, but hearing about how others' first week went will help me feel better if anyone wants to share.

Doobie.

Congrats and hope your recovery goes well. I'm still preop, scheduled for July 7 so I can't provide any insight yet. But I was debating on whether or not to weigh that first week post op. Water retention from all the fluids is for real, but you're right - only temporary!

31 minutes ago, doobie31 said:

Had my surgery on Tuesday. On Thursday I weighed 5lbs more than I did on Monday. Today, Friday, I'm down 1 lb. I know this is temporary, but hearing about how others' first week went will help me feel better if anyone wants to share.

Doobie.

Same here. I know it's only temporary so I'm not worried about it. I am concentrating on getting all my Fluid and Proteins in now. Hang in there!

Had my sleeve on 6/20 and have not gone near a scale yet. When you are on iv fluids for over 24 hours you tend to gain weight. I remember when I had my daughter, I weighed 11 pounds more leaving the hospital than when I went in. I’m just trying to hydrate. Is anyone else not able to take the 64 oz of Water? I got to 32 yesterday And 2 ice pops and considered that a victory.

5 minutes ago, lvetere83 said:

Had my sleeve on 6/20 and have not gone near a scale yet. When you are on iv fluids for over 24 hours you tend to gain weight. I remember when I had my daughter, I weighed 11 pounds more leaving the hospital than when I went in. I’m just trying to hydrate. Is anyone else not able to take the 64 oz of Water? I got to 32 yesterday And 2 ice pops and considered that a victory.

Yesterday, my first full day on my own, I was able to get 64oz of Fluid including 32oz of Water. That's what I've been told to do. Is that what you mean? Or do you have to get 64oz of water alone? No way I could do that right now AND get 60g of Protein.

2 hours ago, doobie31 said:

Yesterday, my first full day on my own, I was able to get 64oz of Fluid including 32oz of Water. That's what I've been told to do. Is that what you mean? Or do you have to get 64oz of Water alone? No way I could do that right now AND get 60g of Protein.

Any liquids count towards your total. Well done on achieving it.

2 hours ago, lvetere83 said:

Lots of people struggle with the liquids early out, me included. Do the best you can. If you struggle with cold Water try warming it.

I had surgery on Monday 6/20/22. Yesterday I started full liquids. Barely met my goals but I did it. Today my metabolism is on fire I’ve already met half of my goals and it’s only the afternoon.

They told me to count Water And shakes separately. And to put the water first. So 64 oz water plus whatever would bring me to 60 grams Protein. I’m just not wanting to drink. I don’t feel thirsty or hungry. It hurts when I drink, so it’s just not a good time lol. I had about 2/3 of a shake earlier.

I had my surgery 6/21/22 went in 245 came out 250 and down to 248.9 today!! The struggle is real. Sounds like this is normal for a lot of people. 😣

31 minutes ago, lvetere83 said:

They told me to count Water And shakes separately. And to put the Water first. So 64 oz water plus whatever would bring me to 60 grams Protein. I’m just not wanting to drink. I don’t feel thirsty or hungry. It hurts when I drink, so it’s just not a good time lol. I had about 2/3 of a shake earlier.

That's really interesting .They definitely told me the Protein Shakes counted towards my 64oz Fluid goal. Only 32oz needed to be water. No way I could do 64oz of water AND add in more to get 60g Protein. Just not enough hours in the day. I'm taking in every 15 minutes as it is. Good luck to you!

12 minutes ago, Rebekahlynn9 said:

I had my surgery 6/21/22 went in 245 came out 250 and down to 248.9 today!! The struggle is real. Sounds like this is normal for a lot of people. 😣

Very much how mine is going, too. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Yup, Water weight. I was advised to not weigh for 3 weeks after surgery. If you can resist weighing, you’ll get a pleasant surprise when you finally do!

I was on an IV after surgery for two and a half days. I came home from hospital very swollen from fluids. It hurt my feet just to walk. Happily after about 5 days the excess Water had left my body. Weighing once a week will help you avoid the fluctuations that happen normally in our bodies.

I'm a month out now. Down 18 lbs since surgery. I didn't come out of surgery at a higher weight and I continued to lose weight the first week or two. Then the stall hit.

It's hard not to get frustrated when the weight isn't dropping. Especially since I saw it drop so fast on the liver shrinking diet. The pace of loss now is not nearly as exciting. Even knowing in advance that I won't see the same rate of loss and that there will be a stall.

I just have to remind myself that the 19 lbs I've lost in the last month is still a greater weight loss than I was able to do on my own in the last 10 years.

And I have to remind myself that even at a relatively slow weight loss of 5 lbs per month I can reach my goal weight in a year. That's really pretty fast when you think about it.