Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help - I'm getting Complacent

Here is the deal - I was banded on Sept 13th and have lost 42 lbs. I am just about where I always end up before I fall off the wagon and start sabatoging my success. I have a closet full of clothes that fit again, people are starting to notice, I feel good, - all valid and good reasons to want to continue, but for some reason it becomes my reason to stop.

I know that I need a fill and will be getting one next week, but I feel like I am losing that edge that I had. The determination? I don't know if it is the holidays (not my favorite time of year - childhood issues) or if I just am not meant to succeed.

I saw a picture today of me from this summer and I almost pucked - it was so disgusting. I don't want to go back to those days. I want to live the last half of my life not fighting this fight.

I am open to any suggestions on how to get that determination back -

Jack, I LOVE YOU!

I've fallen completely off the wagon, I'm totally complacent and I can't get myself back into it.

Your post is an inspiration to me.

Getting a fill will definitely help. It might be the Holidays. Go get a message or do something nice for yourself. Recommit every day. You can do it!

Coastalgrl,

You and i started at about the same weight, and now weight close to the same, we are kindred spirits!

I have found that it has made a 100% difference since I started charting everything I eat on Fitday.com. I am also drinking tons of Water and fluids, making sure my Protein is 60 or more grams per day, and keeping my calories at or below 1000.

Before Fitday, I was eating like crap. I didnt keep track of anything, had no clue how many calories I consumed, how much protein or water.

Also, I have a closet full of smaller clothes that I will try on constantly, I am already wearing a lot of clothes that I haven't worn in about 3 years. It is wonderful!

Also,

JACK IS THE BOMB! (I know, so 90's isnt it?)

But read and reread his post, he is a great motivator.

Here is the deal - I was banded on Sept 13th and have lost 42 lbs. I am just about where I always end up before I fall off the wagon and start sabatoging my success. I have a closet full of clothes that fit again, people are starting to notice, I feel good, - all valid and good reasons to want to continue, but for some reason it becomes my reason to stop.

I know that I need a fill and will be getting one next week, but I feel like I am losing that edge that I had. The determination? I don't know if it is the holidays (not my favorite time of year - childhood issues) or if I just am not meant to succeed.

I saw a picture today of me from this summer and I almost pucked - it was so disgusting. I don't want to go back to those days. I want to live the last half of my life not fighting this fight.

I am open to any suggestions on how to get that determination back -

Coastlgrl

I am feeling the same way. I was doing so good and this past week I have been eating junk and not exercising. I know I need a fill as well and I go next Thursday for one. I just bought an eliptical and my husband put it together today. Hopefully this will inspire me to get back on track. Hope it gets better for you soon.

Your Awsome Jack! I am going to get a back pack and fill it with rocks that weigh how much I lose. So when I hit that spot I can wear the bag all day doing chores. So I will remember what I dont have to carry arround any more.

When you reach one of your mini goals, don't forget to treat yourself!!! No, not with food..... Have a friend help purchase little fun things for you and put them in a basket. When you do well, you can reach in and choose. For example: a movie pass, a new bottle of nail polish, a pedicure, a funny pair of socks, a gift certificate for the florist, a naughty book, you name it!

Wow great idea.

I am trying to think of all the things I want. hummm

Well ok all the things I can afford. lol

I have horses and dogs. I haul feed bags that weigh 40-50 pounds...blocks of salt that weigh 80 pounds. Just pick up a big bag of dog food...walk a bit...take some stairs...you will see what you should not be missing. I feel so much more agile. I'm stronger...I can kneel down and get up without having to hoist myself on something.

Every 10 pounds I buy myself some sort of "exercise reward" sneakers, exercise DVD, yoga suit-that way I get a reward and have something new to motivate me to exercise. Right now I have a Walk Away the Pounds DVD on my dresser-I have to lose a half pound more to use it-so hopefully I will "get" it in the next day or 2. I have been looking forward to using it for a week!

To each and every one of you that responded to my plea for help. You will never know how much I have appreciated the kind words of encouragement, support, positive reinforcement, and super ideas to help me move forward.

This journey has been enlightening, to say the least, and it is heartwarming to know that I can reach out and get the encouragement I need from people who understand what a daily struggle this is.

Keep on keeping on – and Happy Holidays to all

I have never gone below the 260's in past diets. Even when I rocked the house with Atkins, I was somewhere in the 260's when I fell off the wagon and gained it all (and some) back.

When I finally hit 259, it will be a milestone for me. A major one. When I told my mom this, she pointed out how I wasn't born 300lbs. She doesn't quite get it!

But sometimes around 270lbs, I felt complacent! I bounce back and forth with motivation. I did have a week (before I got my fill back) where I just decided this isn't going to work for me, I'll never lose it all, and I had my Violets kick my butt back into gear. It passed. I took it one day at a time. If I could focus on 1 good day, I would worry about the 2nd good day later.

I got my good fill and I'm back to not caring much about food, but the scale is STILL Dragging even though I hardly eat. Buggar. I am trying hard not to let it get me down, plateaus pass (supposedly?).

i put a photo on my fridge of when i weighed 242 pounds-i was banded in march and have lost 92 pounds-when i feel less determined i realize its because i am eating more and so i book in for a fill-i have alot of restriction now and i look at my photos for encouragement- i am in sydney australia

Coastlgrl,

Thanks for having the courage to write your post. I may as well have written it myself. I'm so discouraged right now and making bad choices. I think I've had a milkshake every day for a week. I've gained 4 pounds and I'm just so down on myself right now.

I'm teetering close to that feeling of giving up that we all get when we feel like we're failing. I'm so mad -- I know I have a sugar addiction.

And not to make this an excuse, but it's hard to make good food choices around the holidays. It's almost like we act like our food decisions don't count around Christmas. AND I hate Christmas so up goes the emotional eating. AND my birthday is next month (which I also have issues with) so MORE emotional eating. ARGH!

You're not alone; this is not an easy thing to do -- which is why it's so frustrating when people tell you you're taking the "easy way out."

Keep trying every day; and I'll try too.