Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this a real stall?

Hi All,

I’m 10 months post op from gastric sleeve and have been at a stall for about a month. I’m at 173 from 250. I eat about 1,200 Cals a day and have about 60-80 ounces of Water per day. How can I speed up my weight loss? What has worked for you? Thanks!
at a stall for about a month. I’m at 173 from 250. I eat about 1,200 Cals a day and have about 60-80 ounces of water per day. How can I speed up my weight loss? What has worked for you? Thanks!

it could definitely be a stall - mine tended to be more frequent and lasted longer the closer i got to a normal BMI. Every time I'd think "well, i guess this is it...", and then the weight loss would start up again.

if you're doesn't in another couple of weeks and you still want to lose more, about the only thing you can do is cut calories (or increase activity - or both).

On 05/27/2022 at 10:36, catwoman7 said:

it could definitely be a stall - mine tended to be more frequent and lasted longer the closer i got to a normal BMI. Every time I'd think "well, i guess this is it...", and then the weight loss would start up again.

if you're doesn't in another couple of weeks and you still want to lose more, about the only thing you can do is cut calories (or increase activity - or both).

Thank you kindly. I’m hopeful it will break soon!!! My clothes are fitting looser and I look slimmer, but the scale hasn’t been moving for awhile. Do you think carbs could be the culprit? I may try to cut cals. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I stall everytime I get my period. Then when it stops 5 days later I drop 4-5 lbs. This has happened every month lol but I know non menstrual related stalls are super common. Just keep eating in a deficit and drink a bunch of Water. Sometimes I stall too if I'm constipated. I take some laxatives and continue on the losing streak.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 05/27/2022 at 13:19, fourmonthspreop said:

I stall everytime I get my period. Then when it stops 5 days later I drop 4-5 lbs. This has happened every month lol but I know non menstrual related stalls are super common. Just keep eating in a deficit and drink a bunch of Water. Sometimes I stall too if I'm constipated. I take some laxatives and continue on the losing streak.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

This is true for me too, in fact, mine is coming on in a few days. I’ll see what happens this time. Upping my Water also. Do you think upping my overall calories would help? Thanks!

What's your BMI? I guess it depends how close you are to your normal weight. Closer the goal, more the stalls from what I have read out here.

On 05/27/2022 at 14:04, DaisyAndSunshine said:

What's your BMI? I guess it depends how close you are to your normal weight. Closer the goal, more the stalls from what I have read out here.

I need to find out. Right now I’m 173, my goal is 150

2 hours ago, Ready21 said:

Probably could be a stall. My last stall was when my BMI was about 33ish (last month, my month 5). Lasted 3 weeks or so until scale started moving yet again this month, month 6.

Since you're month 10, I am sure weight loss slows down too closer to a year of surgery. Like the above poster suggested, try play around with calories and exercises and see if it makes a difference. It can get frustrating when you still haven't come close to the goal but hang in there and hope scale starts cranking again.

2 hours ago, Ready21 said:

You mean you don't know what your BMI is? Try this link. :91_thumbsup:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

Edited by Spinoza

On 05/27/2022 at 16:44, DaisyAndSunshine said:

Probably could be a stall. My last stall was when my BMI was about 33ish (last month, my month 5). Lasted 3 weeks or so until scale started moving yet again this month, month 6.

Since you're month 10, I am sure weight loss slows down too closer to a year of surgery. Like the above poster suggested, try play around with calories and exercises and see if it makes a difference. It can get frustrating when you still haven't come close to the goal but hang in there and hope scale starts cranking again.

Thank you for your input. It’s so frustrating. I see so many things about weight loss and how some still lose way past a year and then some don’t. I’m going to up my calories a little. Right now on average my total calories per day fluctuate between 950-1250. What are your thoughts on that?

1 hour ago, Ready21 said:

Thank you for your input. It’s so frustrating. I see so many things about weight loss and how some still lose way past a year and then some don’t. I’m going to up my calories a little. Right now on average my total calories per day fluctuate between 950-1250. What are your thoughts on that?

I am the worst person to ask this question 😂

I am always petrified of upping my calories. Though after the last stall, upping my calories did help (currently consume around 800 to 950 calories). But I can't imagine going beyond 1200 during the weight loss phase. But that's just me and my past experiences speaking. Many here vouch on having lost weight by increasing their calories. So no harm in giving it a shot.

Try increasing to 1300 for a week and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, next try reducing it by 100. If even those don't work, then body will do its thing and all you can do is continue working your diet and exercise hoping for the scale to move.

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine

Yep, the closer you are to your goal the slower your rate of loss & yes, it can get so slow you think you’re not losing at all. You’re eating more, which you should be, and eating nearer the calories your body needs to function. Generally the first year is the honeymoon time when most weight if not all your weight is lost.

Unfortunately, not everyone reaches their goal. It depends upon many factors including where your set point has reset to after your surgery. This is the weight your body is happiest at.

If it is a long stall, sometimes a small tweak to your diet or activity can help. Do you still have appointments with your dietician? They may be able to make suggestions on what you could adjust & they’ll be best able to advise on an appropriate caloric goal for you. But consuming 950-1250 should still result in weight loss.

I’m one of those unusual people who kept losing weight well into their 2nd year. I reached goal at 6 months & continued to lose, albeit extremely slowly, for another 11 months. I struggled to get to the 1300 or so calories I found I needed to stop me losing. BUT I’m not very active, am short & more finely built & in the downward slide end of 50. I eat a few more calories now. Many eat a lot more than I do to maintain at their weight.

PS - Are you able to update your profile information on the left side? It can be very helpful if others can see that information about you.

Sorry I do not have much experience to offer help but wanted to comment..

I do not know how everyone else is loosing but I have a very toxic relationship with the scale, I have been told to stay away from it but I cannot resist to step on every morning. The evil thing does not change, I have 3 different scales because I thought the first one could be damaged but seems like it is not. I have a reading on a given day and it only changes a couple of ounces back and forth for days or even weeks but then, when the scale decides I can see changes of 3 or even 4 pounds, I do not understand it I think is too much change for one day. Each time I read about stalls I think I live constantly in stall mode. Lately the stalls are longer and the changes are smaller only 1 or 2 pounds I understand that as the time gos by it will be slower to loose weight. This is confusing for me, when I used to do my diets before I could see the weight changing gradually but not this time...

15 hours ago, Ready21 said:

Thank you kindly. I’m hopeful it will break soon!!! My clothes are fitting looser and I look slimmer, but the scale hasn’t been moving for awhile. Do you think carbs could be the culprit? I may try to cut cals. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am having the same experience. I am 9 months post op and lost 108 pounds. I seems to be getting smaller yet the scale is very slowly moving or not at all. I think my exercise is moving things around or converting fat to muscle. I am around 1200 calories as well. I started riding my bike for 30 minutes after dinner to try a different exercise. I walk 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes then the bike ride. It seems to be speeding up the weight loss but nowhere near what it was a few months ago.