Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I’m 10 months post op from gastric sleeve and have been at a stall for about a month. I’m at 173 from 250. I eat about 1,200 Cals a day and have about 60-80 ounces of Water per day. How can I speed up my weight loss? What has worked for you? Thanks!
at a stall for about a month. I’m at 173 from 250. I eat about 1,200 Cals a day and have about 60-80 ounces of water per day. How can I speed up my weight loss? What has worked for you? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it could definitely be a stall - mine tended to be more frequent and lasted longer the closer i got to a normal BMI. Every time I'd think "well, i guess this is it...", and then the weight loss would start up again.

if you're doesn't in another couple of weeks and you still want to lose more, about the only thing you can do is cut calories (or increase activity - or both).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/27/2022 at 10:36, catwoman7 said:



it could definitely be a stall - mine tended to be more frequent and lasted longer the closer i got to a normal BMI. Every time I'd think "well, i guess this is it...", and then the weight loss would start up again.




if you're doesn't in another couple of weeks and you still want to lose more, about the only thing you can do is cut calories (or increase activity - or both).


Thank you kindly. I’m hopeful it will break soon!!! My clothes are fitting looser and I look slimmer, but the scale hasn’t been moving for awhile. Do you think carbs could be the culprit? I may try to cut cals. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stall everytime I get my period. Then when it stops 5 days later I drop 4-5 lbs. This has happened every month lol but I know non menstrual related stalls are super common. Just keep eating in a deficit and drink a bunch of Water. Sometimes I stall too if I'm constipated. I take some laxatives and continue on the losing streak.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/27/2022 at 13:19, fourmonthspreop said:

I stall everytime I get my period. Then when it stops 5 days later I drop 4-5 lbs. This has happened every month lol but I know non menstrual related stalls are super common. Just keep eating in a deficit and drink a bunch of Water. Sometimes I stall too if I'm constipated. I take some laxatives and continue on the losing streak.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

This is true for me too, in fact, mine is coming on in a few days. I’ll see what happens this time. Upping my Water also. Do you think upping my overall calories would help? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's your BMI? I guess it depends how close you are to your normal weight. Closer the goal, more the stalls from what I have read out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/27/2022 at 14:04, DaisyAndSunshine said:



What's your BMI? I guess it depends how close you are to your normal weight. Closer the goal, more the stalls from what I have read out here.






I need to find out. Right now I’m 173, my goal is 150

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ready21 said:

I need to find out. Right now I’m 173, my goal is 150

Probably could be a stall. My last stall was when my BMI was about 33ish (last month, my month 5). Lasted 3 weeks or so until scale started moving yet again this month, month 6.

Since you're month 10, I am sure weight loss slows down too closer to a year of surgery. Like the above poster suggested, try play around with calories and exercises and see if it makes a difference. It can get frustrating when you still haven't come close to the goal but hang in there and hope scale starts cranking again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ready21 said:

I need to find out. Right now I’m 173, my goal is 150

You mean you don't know what your BMI is? Try this link. :91_thumbsup:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

Edited by Spinoza

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/27/2022 at 16:44, DaisyAndSunshine said:






Probably could be a stall. My last stall was when my BMI was about 33ish (last month, my month 5). Lasted 3 weeks or so until scale started moving yet again this month, month 6.




Since you're month 10, I am sure weight loss slows down too closer to a year of surgery. Like the above poster suggested, try play around with calories and exercises and see if it makes a difference. It can get frustrating when you still haven't come close to the goal but hang in there and hope scale starts cranking again.


Thank you for your input. It’s so frustrating. I see so many things about weight loss and how some still lose way past a year and then some don’t. I’m going to up my calories a little. Right now on average my total calories per day fluctuate between 950-1250. What are your thoughts on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ready21 said:

Thank you for your input. It’s so frustrating. I see so many things about weight loss and how some still lose way past a year and then some don’t. I’m going to up my calories a little. Right now on average my total calories per day fluctuate between 950-1250. What are your thoughts on that?

I am the worst person to ask this question 😂

I am always petrified of upping my calories. Though after the last stall, upping my calories did help (currently consume around 800 to 950 calories). But I can't imagine going beyond 1200 during the weight loss phase. But that's just me and my past experiences speaking. Many here vouch on having lost weight by increasing their calories. So no harm in giving it a shot.

Try increasing to 1300 for a week and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, next try reducing it by 100. If even those don't work, then body will do its thing and all you can do is continue working your diet and exercise hoping for the scale to move.

Edited by DaisyAndSunshine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the closer you are to your goal the slower your rate of loss & yes, it can get so slow you think you’re not losing at all. You’re eating more, which you should be, and eating nearer the calories your body needs to function. Generally the first year is the honeymoon time when most weight if not all your weight is lost.

Unfortunately, not everyone reaches their goal. It depends upon many factors including where your set point has reset to after your surgery. This is the weight your body is happiest at.

If it is a long stall, sometimes a small tweak to your diet or activity can help. Do you still have appointments with your dietician? They may be able to make suggestions on what you could adjust & they’ll be best able to advise on an appropriate caloric goal for you. But consuming 950-1250 should still result in weight loss.

I’m one of those unusual people who kept losing weight well into their 2nd year. I reached goal at 6 months & continued to lose, albeit extremely slowly, for another 11 months. I struggled to get to the 1300 or so calories I found I needed to stop me losing. BUT I’m not very active, am short & more finely built & in the downward slide end of 50. I eat a few more calories now. Many eat a lot more than I do to maintain at their weight.

PS - Are you able to update your profile information on the left side? It can be very helpful if others can see that information about you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I do not have much experience to offer help but wanted to comment..

I do not know how everyone else is loosing but I have a very toxic relationship with the scale, I have been told to stay away from it but I cannot resist to step on every morning. The evil thing does not change, I have 3 different scales because I thought the first one could be damaged but seems like it is not. I have a reading on a given day and it only changes a couple of ounces back and forth for days or even weeks but then, when the scale decides I can see changes of 3 or even 4 pounds, I do not understand it I think is too much change for one day. Each time I read about stalls I think I live constantly in stall mode. Lately the stalls are longer and the changes are smaller only 1 or 2 pounds I understand that as the time gos by it will be slower to loose weight. This is confusing for me, when I used to do my diets before I could see the weight changing gradually but not this time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Ready21 said:

Thank you kindly. I’m hopeful it will break soon!!! My clothes are fitting looser and I look slimmer, but the scale hasn’t been moving for awhile. Do you think carbs could be the culprit? I may try to cut cals. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am having the same experience. I am 9 months post op and lost 108 pounds. I seems to be getting smaller yet the scale is very slowly moving or not at all. I think my exercise is moving things around or converting fat to muscle. I am around 1200 calories as well. I started riding my bike for 30 minutes after dinner to try a different exercise. I walk 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes then the bike ride. It seems to be speeding up the weight loss but nowhere near what it was a few months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • amazingmimi

      I feel like I've finally gotten past the biggest hurdle. Surgery date is September 6th, the day after Labor Day, and yesterday I got my insurance approval letter. I've followed everything they've told me to do, and I've even lost 30 lbs on my own since hubby had to change his diet for diabetes. No worries now about having to do 4 weeks of the liver shrinking diet instead of 2. On my initial visit, if I had gained just 5lbs I would have had to do 4 weeks. It's getting closer. Just 2 more months to wait.
      · 1 reply
      1. NmMd

        Although the prep work took energy, I found the biggest hurdle was post-operative. The first 48 hrs were extremely uncomfortable. I did an overnight and trying to down the liquids, Tylenol, and especially the barium was rough. Thankfully though, I got away with only having to have 1 belly injection after surgery. Needless are not my thing.

    • Grace1234

      I am brand new to this my surgery is tentative for July 27 depending on insurance and I'll be have the Gastric Sleeve.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pepper1

      I am looking for people to connect with that are 4-5 years out. Many of the support sights I go to are all newbies. And while I enjoyed that when i first had my surgery and found it useful, I am looking to exchange ideas with folks that are out a few years. I am slowly gaining weight back and losing my excitement. I don't want that!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SuziDavis

      I have a surgery date! I am getting sleeved on 8/17/2022!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mudh8r

      How do you stay focused? I'm struggling a bit the past three days.  All I want is sweets and carbs.  I have no clue what changed but for some reason I'm craving hard.  I'm literally dreaming about food and when I wake up, I'm thinking about my next meal.  I'm not "hungry" but so munchy.  I'm trying to stay focused, busy, exercise and the likes but this looking struggle is getting to be so hard.  I meet with my nutritionist tomorrow and I'm so hopeful she has some advice.  My protein intake is great, liquids on point, even throwing in some raw veggies and berries to curb the sweet/carb craving.  Thoughts?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×