Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery was 12/12 - Questions

Hi Azallboys-

I am also from AZ-having my surgery on December 28th.

Just wanted to say hi to a neighbor! Tracey

Tracey, I'm having my surgery on the 27th. Let's keep up with each other's progress. Let me know how you do, etc. and things you discover too!

Minnesotalady:

I would try to remember why you wanted to be banded in the first place to give you inspiration to get down the stretch.

For me, my niece inspires me. She was born prematurely 15 years ago at 1 lb. 13 ozs. Unfortunately, she has severe cerebral palsy. She uses an electric wheelchair to get around with a control panel in the headrest that she uses to steer, go, stop, turn, etc. Her Mom recently found out she has multiple sclerosis. Neither one of them let their health issues get them down. They motivate me every day to be the best that I can be. They'll be needing me to help them down the road, so I have to be a healthier me to be here for my Daughter and also for them. That motivates me.

So, put your headphones on and go for a long walk and think about how fortunate you are that you can walk, my niece Danielle has never walked.

Don't be down on yourself. Fifty-seven pounds is a great accomplishment. If you weren't banded you could weigh twenty or thirty pounds heavier than your starting weight. Remember, it's not a race. I think if you consider your success so far it can be motivating going forward.

Here's to your success so far, and also to getting to your goal in the future.

Sue

Thank you for the replys!

Is it possible to go back to work after 4 days if one takes it easy , it's a ways to the B-room would that

bad to think that .

Have not told anyone about getting banded just my wife.

guess my way of thinking is a man suppost to be strong

not admit weakness .

not sure how others at work, or family members that never had a problem with weight would react.

Physically I would have been able to return by day 4. I flew home 5 hours, and another 5 in the car on day 3. I felt fine. Mild discomfort, but nothing too severe. By day 5 or 6, the liquid in = liquid out would have been an issue. There were days at home, I barely made it!

I quit the broth, and it helped a lot.

That would have been my biggest issue, and I also got tired VERY quickly. We were in the middle of a home remodel for my DD, and I would give out mid afternoon---I wasn't even good for shopping (which shocked EVERYONE!!)

Make sure you have plenty of clear Liquid Protein on hand, that will help a lot I found.

As for the differences in Dr.'s---no explanation, except they each have their own ways and their own experiences they draw off of. You chose your Dr. based on trust, and it is suggested you closely follow what YOUR own Dr. advises. You will find everything here from a 30 day liquid pre op diet, to no pre op preparation at all! Some keep you in the hospital for 2-3 days (mine did), others it is done as day surgery and within 3-4 hours you are home. Some have a loooong post op diet (mine) others allow heavy liquids and mushies within days. The things they tell you to eat, or not to eat, vary widely.

You went to YOUR Dr. for a reason, so stick to what YOUR Dr. has to say. There will be people who try to second guess what your well paid professional have to say---both in real life and on this site as well as others. I always take the advice with a grain of salt, consider what I think, and if necessary check with my Dr. and go from there.

Minnesota Lady---you may not make that goal within your bandiversary---but WOW, look where you are, and you admit to not exercising or always eating right! Imagine where you would be this year if you had not been banded! You are down well over 50 pounds, and it sounds as though it has been without a lot of effort!

Soon everyone will be making New Years Resolutions--all the new exercise equipment will be out, and diet food helps will be on sale--lots of things to motivate us!

This is a hard time of year, with all the parties, and candy....but it is never to late, to jump start your band, and get going again. Do you need a small fill, to get restriction again? Hang out here at LBT---we will try to help keep you on the right track!!

Good Luck to all of you heading off to surgery this week---will be waiting to hear how it went for you!!

Kat

I am a woman and feel somewhat the same way. The only thing is that my doctors have both told me diets don't work, if they did we would all not have a weight problem. They both say only 5% of people are successful on losing weight and keeping it off.

The reason I didn't tell anyone at work is because people who don't have a weight problem, don't understand! The usual comment is something like "Why don't you just stop eating!" We all know that does not work.

Also, my doctor put me on Optifast for 14 days to lessen the abdomen fat and clean out the system. Maybe its a test so see if I can do it, who knows? I feel okay on it, its easier at work than at home since at home my husband is eating and I can smell it!!

10 more days till surgery!

:whoo:

Holly, you are so right! The girls in my office still think I could have lost weight if "I had just found the right diet for my metabolism"!! (Never mind the fact that I have NO metabolism!!)

I once read where obese people can NEVER lose more than 20% of their weight (and not have it return!) And if you don't have a weight issue, you truly don't undertstand what we go through (both with ourselves and society in general!)

Anyway, the very best of luck to you in your surgery! :)