Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery was 12/12 - Questions

I am constantly starving and on full liquid diet - any suggestions?

How long until the pain is gone?

When will the unanncounced loose stools stop?

I can't seem to post the ticker factory - help on this?

Thanks!

azallboys - 316lbs goal 155lbs

I was constantly starving on liquids, too....starting mushies on day 7 helped with that.... Then you gotta stay on track and not nibble all day, but that is a different subject for later (I sound like an old pro at 2 weeks post-op!)

Pain lasted for 3-4 days and I took my pain meds every 4-6 hours. The port site is still sore, but I felt much better by day 5 or 6. Be patient with yourself and give yourself some time to recover.

After you choose your ticker, there is a panel below your choice on the ticker website (the first panel) Copy all the info in the panel and paste it into your signature update area on this site.

Keep reading these posts - they really help.:bandit

Congrats Azallboys!!! Welcome to bandland. The secret is protien. If you don't have protien powder, get some. whey isolate is best. If you eat Soup, put in some protien. If you drink anything, make sure it has a little protien. It will help with the hunger. The first 4 days, fortunatley I wasn't hungry at all. I had to force myself to drink. Day 5 I was hungy. By day 14 when I started mushies I was down 12 pounds. Mushies will help. I'm still losing though.... I'm three weeks out and have lost about 20 pounds. Hang tough. It's worth it.

For the Ticker Factory: go in and create your own ticker (be sure to remember your password!)

At the end, highlight everything in the top box (the bb: box), right click and hit Copy.

Then come into this site and go to UserCP in the Menu Bar. Go to Edit Signature on the left. Left click in the big box. Then right click and hit Paste. You should see your ticker appear.

Be sure to go to the bottom of the page and click on Save Signature.

When it comes back, you'll see your ticker at the top of the page. (Then to change it, all you have to do is to double click on the one at the top of the page)...

Everyone has given you good advice, on adding in protein---it helps with the healing, as well as easing the hunger some. Mostly it is just something you have to get through. Think of it as the last diet you will be on! Then when you can eat again, you can begin to eat healthier!

As for the loose stools---there is a saying around here----Liquid In==Liquid Out. There is nothing for your body to digest. broth was the worst for me, it caused horrible diarrhea. The Protein powders will help with that some, not a lot. That is going to be helped when you begin putting something besides liquid into your system.

It is VERY important to follow your Dr.s post op eating plan though. Right now you are healing, and all your stitches inside are setting the band into proper place for the scar tissue to begin forming to hold it in place. When you eat prematurely it causes your stomach to churn and move in an effort to digest the food, and does not allow things to heal properly.

I know it is not easy--we all went through it. The point it---it IS worth it!!!

The paid should lessen some each day, and soon it will all be behind you----and there will be less You behind you!!!

Welcome to LBT, and welcome to bandland!!!

Kat

I was banded on Monday & have had very little pain & very little issues. My problem is that I can tolerate 4 oz of liquid at a time & have even had a very few vegetables in some Soup broth. Am I screwing this up? It seems as if nothing is bothering me & that seems wrong.

I was banded on Monday & have had very little pain & very little issues. My problem is that I can tolerate 4 oz of liquid at a time & have even had a very few vegetables in some Soup broth. Am I screwing this up? It seems as if nothing is bothering me & that seems wrong.

NOOOOO!!!! STOP! Do NOT eat those solids!!!!

You may not notice a problem today, or tomorrow or next month. You may never have a problem, but you may. PLEASE stick to what your doctor wants for a post-op diet. There is a reason we are to have liquids post-op. It is to help the suture line heal and for scar tissue to form and hold the band in place. Liquids do not require much work for the stomach to digest and process. Solids (even chewed well) cause the stomach to work harder and churn more to digest, that slows the healing process around the band.

It's only a few short weeks out of your life. Were you only fat for a few weeks? Nope. You've been fat for years, can't you stick to something for a few weeks that will likely change you life for the better?

(Sorry for the strong words, but sometimes it takes tough love.)

sounds like there is a lot of things did't know.

just found out was aproved for band friday, call for surgery appointment had cancelation for dec 26 before end of the year .

have a class on surgery next week and blood work .

question: How long tell feel good enough to go back to work ?

sounds like there is a lot of things did't know.

just found out was aproved for band friday, call for surgery appointment had cancelation for dec 26 before end of the year .

have a class on surgery next week and blood work .

question: How long tell feel good enough to go back to work ?

I am 6 days post op (banded 11 Dec) and feel like i could go to work today, however the surgeon doesn't want me to go back to work until he has seen me again and given me the ok. So I will be back on day 8.

Everyones experience is different. But this has been mine so far:

The first 40 hours was hellish but I spent that time in hospital so had plenty of meds to deal with it, but once i came home on day 2, i stopped taking pain meds - only taking antibiotics. Everyday i am feeling a bit better than the day before.

And i too have been suffering the liquid in - liquid out - that is not much fun at all!! Makes me kind of pleased to not be going back to work straight away.

Overall - it hasn't been a bad experience

tracy

Mr. James:

I could have gone back to work in a week if I had to. I had plenty of time so I took two weeks off. I took advantage of being able to relax around the pool at the complex where I live. I was banded in July though.

I could have gone back to work sooner but let me tell you that I was very tired each afternoon and took a two hour nap each afternoon for those two weeks. I think the body needs extra rest to heal properly.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Sue

Mr. James:

I took almost three weeks (I have a great employer!) but really could have returned after two. (My surgeon uses staples and they didn't come out until after one week--think steri strips or glue would be easier on a person). Stopped the liquid pain meds after three days.

Best wishes to you!

Hi everyone, It's been awhile since I have posted and I sure could use some words of encouragement! I was banded in Feb. 2006, my starting weight was 225 and I now weigh 168 so thats 57 LBS. Without any gains. I am happy with that but I was hoping to get to my goal weight of 148 by my one year anniversary. this has brought me down, I have"nt been following the rules like I should be, or exercising.How can I get back on track, and get my motivation back up there where it once was?? I would appreciate any Ideas or any words of encouragement. I hope you all have a wounderful holiday season, and may you all succeed in your weight loss journey. God Bless~

Minnesotalady

I go for the seminar the 19th, I'm sure I will find out more then but for now is there a place on here that tell's what I should (or should not) be eating or drinking. Something to get me in "practice" for the day's to come???

I've read about everyone drinking liquids two weeks before surgery. What kind of liquids (with or w/o protein) and am I to understand this is to "shrink" the liver??? To allow more room for the Dr. to work and/or get around the stomach??? I'm sure the good Dr. will go over all of this but I'm just a little impatient and would like to have "some" of the answers before I go.

Liquid in/ liquid out??? That's why I'm wanting to get this going, I own/opperate trucks and there's not much time for "running for the john" in my line of work. When does this start and when should it ease up??? I've got a window of oppertunity to do this and DONT want to wait until next year to do it.

Thanx for ANY help, Steve