Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Struggle Watching Your Family Eat?

what about french fries? Does anyone eat that down the rode say 6 months out lol

2 minutes ago, Crisscat said:

what about french fries? Does anyone eat that down the rode say 6 months out lol

Yes! But I never order my own…just have a few from my family and I am satisfied! That’s the beauty of the surgery!

I've had a few a couple of times but it was fine the first time but the second made me sick. I don't plan on trying again

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

No lie, I was angry initially. I don't think I could've stuck to the regulations had I not lived alone. I was fortunate in that case, and didn't cohabitate until almost two months later. I was told my taste buds would reset and have they ever. Because I was eating foods with so much sugar, things like strawberries, oranges, and grapes, just didn't cut it for me. Now that I've abruptly stopped bingeing on added sugars formulated in laboratories and not found anywhere in nature, fruit is a treat to me. I never thought an orange would be so delicious!

4 hours ago, SoCalEm said:

I was told my taste buds would reset and have they ever. Because I was eating foods with so much sugar, things like strawberries, oranges, and grapes, just didn't cut it for me. Now that I've abruptly stopped bingeing on added sugars formulated in laboratories and not found anywhere in nature, fruit is a treat to me. I never thought an orange would be so delicious!

Embracing the tastebud changes & losing the craving for sugar was a big win for me too. I gave up soft drinks (sodas) years ago so I didn’t have to break my addiction to them but I enjoyed dessert & always at a sweet treat after dinner. I haven’t done that since surgery. Don’t miss it either. I will have a couple of spoons of dessert at Christmas (I make the Christmas Desserts so …) & then maybe a bite of one or two sweet things a year. Had a bite of a friend’s wedding cake last year - it was awful. But nothing yet this year. I remember accidentally picking up a box of honey oats during Covid lockdown in 2020. It was so crazy sweet I couldn’t eat it.

Yes, fruit is my sweet treat now too (but I always enjoyed fruit). I have blueberries every day with Breakfast. Occasionally I might snack on some other fruit. I avoid artificial sweeteners where possible (they just feed your sweet cravings) & as I cook most of my own food from scratch it’s easier.

I make it a point to eat with my family too. No one cares that I skip the rice or burger Buns. They are happy we are eating meat again instead of veggie burgers or Beans. I do miss sweets like Cookies or candy. I HAVE to have a snack before shopping to avoid it! If I bring it home, it lives in my son’s room. The horrible teenage boy smells keep me out of there!

I really don’t mind at all, I’m the cook at home and I’ve adapted my recipes! He just gets a big bowl and I get a small one 😁 I don’t avoid Pasta, rice or potatoes, but watch the fat and sugar content very closely. (Right now I’m 1.5 kg away of having lost 100% of my excess weight btw)
Thankfully he doesn’t bring home or order take out/fast food, that’s a mutual decision that is working out well for both of us 😁
Re: supermarkets, I have only set foot in one twice since my surgery end of august 2021! I get my groceries delivered once a week and I absolutely love it. For me the service is money well spent, not only is food shopping a complete waste of time (imo) it is way too busy and frustrating to try to do your shopping outside of work, and everything inside the store is geared towards getting you to buy unnecessary things.
It’s also really helped me disconnect from food in a way, by engaging with it less overall.

9 minutes ago, Summermoose said:

I really don’t mind at all, I’m the cook at home and I’ve adapted my recipes! He just gets a big bowl and I get a small one 😁 I don’t avoid Pasta, rice or potatoes, but watch the fat and sugar content very closely. (Right now I’m 1.5 kg away of having lost 100% of my excess weight btw)
Thankfully he doesn’t bring home or order take out/fast food, that’s a mutual decision that is working out well for both of us 😁
Re: supermarkets, I have only set foot in one twice since my surgery end of august 2021! I get my groceries delivered once a week and I absolutely love it. For me the service is money well spent, not only is food shopping a complete waste of time (imo) it is way too busy and frustrating to try to do your shopping outside of work, and everything inside the store is geared towards getting you to buy unnecessary things.
It’s also really helped me disconnect from food in a way, by engaging with it less overall.

I do grocery pickup for the same reason. I don’t have to go into the store and be tempted by things that aren’t on my list and it saves time.

I have had about 20 french fries in total in the last 6 months. Like one or two at a time when my family or friends order them. And they are still super nice. But one or two is all I want/can handle. Abso-flipping-lutely love that I can do that.

No I have no issues with it or even cooking for them. I was very healthy and a vegan when I met my meat eating husband 21 years ago. Our first date was to a steak house. I was a vegan from age 5 to 33 by choice (was raised on a cattle ranch and when my pet steer was butchered I refused to eat meat not wanting to wanting him - long story) My husband loves food and bad food. I realize now out marriage was centered around eating. I love the fact now I can say hey I cant eat this or that or out because of my surgery. When Id do that all these years he would get mad at me and upset. Addicts like to have others indulge with them. I went from 125 to 240 in 21 years of marriage. Today I am 176 I had the sleeve on Dec 22, 2021 at 227.9. So I feel better than ever and I am starting to feel like me again. I cant wait to be able to eat full vegan again Now I can go back to the lifestyle I love without being guilted into eating unhealthy. Ive noticed more energy my skin looks amazing Im back at the gym running 3 miles a day until yesterday when I broke a bunch of bones in my foot. So think of it like this - eating is just fuel for this amazing body you have. Like your car - you put good gas in it youd never give it sugar Water right because that would ruin the engine. Your body is the same way - enjoy the beautiful healthy foods and feed your body and cells the right fuel. I have teenagers that work they stop at fast food nearly daily It is nice to say Ill wait to eat when we get home. I never leave without a Protein Shake and the money I save now on food is crazy! Even my husband comments on that. So my Protein Shakes from 310 Nutrition may be expensive but cheap compared to the before me. I spend $3-5 a day for me on food. My husband eats fast food daily and spend nearly $10 on a meal that is literally killing him. Thats how I see it and it makes me skip and smile. Self love - just rewire your thinking habits and seriously it wont be hard 99% of the time.

On 05/06/2022 at 19:50, liveaboard15 said:

It sucks lol. At my house its not really about the cooking but most times everyone orders out. pizza, Fried chicken, chinese ect... I see it there and i know i cant have any lol. Once i am a little more healed up i will probably just go out riding my jetski during dinner time lol. Get back to the house after sunset.

I got an amazing veggie pizza with a cauliflower crust on it at costco a few weeks ago. It was low calorie and omg good. I dont know if you have one around but if so that kills the pizza cravings at way less calories. It isnt that we cant ever have that again just try to pick a healthier alternative. For me I hadnt eaten pizza in a year so that was a big treat for me. I also wont make it a habit but made me feel “Normal” again lol

I haven’t had any issues cooking for my family….. Now saying this i LOVE cooking! I also love baking (making brownies for coworkers this weekend) only thing that does bother me is i can’t really taste it to make sure it’s right. Now when I get head hungry I love watching Asian mukbang! I don’t know why but for me it works! I guess bc it’s head hunger and im watching it …. Maybe? Or maybe I need counseling? Lol

Since my original post Ive adapted really well. Doesnt bother me at at. I have found tho I can taste things to make sure they are good to go and if it has meat in it I generally just eat the meat. I may have 2-4 pieces of Pasta if thats in the meal like a casserole or something.