Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I posted some good palatable recipes from my Complete Bariatric Cookbook and meal plan by Megan Moore on the foods thread. I just finished the Green Machine shake made with green apple, spinach, avocado, and stuff and thank goodness for a break in the sweetness. How ironic that lots of sweets got me to my highest weight and now all the sweet flavors are making me wretch. I had a bit of bleeding from the biggest incision site yesterday when I woke up so I contacted the doctor. They say it’s normal when that adhesive stuff starts to wear away. Did anyone else experience this?

Hi! My surgery (gastric bypass) was May 23rd.

So, I made this post and had my surgery on May 3rd. It went horribly wrong, so didn't want to scare everyone else. After the gastric bypass, I started vomiting blood, then it was old blood- but large amounts. On May 10th, they determined either the vomiting caused a hernia or vice versa. It would be a 30 minute surgery to correct it. During the anesthesia part of the surgery, I vomitted blood into my lungs (anesthesia aspiration). They immediately put me in a medically induced coma for 5 days to clear my lungs of the double pneumonia that developed. In total, I spent 19 days in the hospital. I have been recovering ever since. I have lost about 35 pounds (so more than half that I needed to) but physical recovery has been so much more of the challenge. I often wonder if I will recommend this surgery to others due to my complications, but I know they are like 1 in 5000 chances.

Edited by The Traveler

7 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

I hope everyone else is doing much better than I did.

Edited by The Traveler

I had mine on may 3rd too!!! Down 35 pounds

wow! great work everyone! today has been tough to avoid some yummy food (hardest day so far)

10 hours ago, The Traveler said:

So, I made this post and had my surgery on May 3rd. It went horribly wrong, so didn't want to scare everyone else. After the gastric bypass, I started vomiting blood, then it was old blood- but large amounts. On May 10th, they determined either the vomiting caused a hernia or vice versa. It would be a 30 minute surgery to correct it. During the anesthesia part of the surgery, I vomitted blood into my lungs (anesthesia aspiration). They immediately put me in a medically induced coma for 5 days to clear my lungs of the double pneumonia that developed. In total, I spent 19 days in the hospital. I have been recovering ever since. I have lost about 35 pounds (so more than half that I needed to) but physical recovery has been so much more of the challenge. I often wonder if I will recommend this surgery to others due to my complications, but I know they are like 1 in 5000 chances.

Oh my goodness I sure hope you are doing so much better! 💗

I thought I would tell a little about my journey. 7 years ago (July 5, 2015) I had a rare bilateral cerebellar stroke. There are lots of things that come along with that (fatigue-mine got minimally better. For me a lot of cognitive, psychiatric and physical defecits. I am now disabled.) I was already overweight (my stroke was not due to this) but after the stroke I went from working over 8 hours 5x per week to barely awake (especially for the 1st year after). I gained 60 lbs the year after my stroke & no matter how much I tried I couldn't lose any. I have difficulty with exercise, stamina, central vertigo (I puke a lot), dealing with body temp differences (if I am hot I puke). So it is a challenge. I am 50 but 43 when I had my stroke. My Neurologist talked to me about considering weight loss surgery. I said absolutely not 3 years ago; but, I decided last year I had to do something. I am too young... I'm not ready to possibly die an early death due to a 2nd stroke. So I started my journey to see if I could qualify and if Medicare would cover the surgery. I would say it took about 4-6 months for my insurance to approve surgery and so I began to embark on getting ready for S day. I started at 284 lbs and lost down to 263 the day of my surgery (gastric bypass). It has certainly not been an easy journey... fear, pain, huge adjustments. I had my surgery May 23rd, 2022. Today, I am so much better after surgery. Now the real work begins. I am now 228.2 lbs and my body can feel the positive of this all over. I am all in. I want to take my health by the horns and even shock myself. I am certainly a loner (anxiety with panic attacks and continued PBA-pseudobulbar affect also known as emotional lability) socially I suppose I am more of a hermit now. No more social butterfly but I have accepted the me now and love myself. One thing I am struggling with now is taking my meds all crushed 🤢. I am waiting on my order of Vitamins and minerals from BariatricPal so until they get here I am taking regular over the counter stuff per my Dr's instruction. The Iron pill (crushed with a little crystal lite sprinkled on top) is absolutely disgusting! I dry heave after I take it. I dread doing it. 🙄 How are you guys doing?