Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG surgery in hopes to cure PCOS and have children!

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I think it is great to have something like this where we can communicate and get advice from one another!

I had my VSG surgery on April 4th, 2022. So that means as of today I am 16 days post op. So far things are going alright. I am a little worried about my 2 incisions on my left side since the liquid bandage has come off and they are still open. They crust over, but any movement or showering makes them open back up. I think they are slowly healing(one of the incisions is the one where they pulled my stomach through), went to the doctor today and he said they were fine. But of course when I returned home the scabs had come off and it was back open! Any thoughts on this?

Other than that it’s been fine. Going through a lot of emotions realizing I can’t eat like I used to and just realizing how much I relied on food was hard for me. But with the support of my husband and family I am doing better.

My main reason for getting the sleeve is because I was diagnosed with PCOS. Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for about 2.5/ 3yrs now. I finally went to the doctor and was told I had PCOS about 2years ago. I went through the ringer with them putting me on birth control, hormones etc. until I found a blog that said none of that helped PCOS but those things were just a band aid solution. I tried losing weight and managed to lose 40lbs, which all came back within 2 months. And I started noticing how no matter what I did or what I ate the weight just kept coming. I went through a bout of depression about not being able to have kids, and that is when I decided to look into weight loss surgery.

I heard that it can reverse PCOS symptoms and works almost 95% of the time. When I attended the seminar the doctors also said it worked a lot for people with PCOS. So I am excited to see where this journey takes me. I am doing this to be healthy but a big chunk of me really hopes I can get pregnant a year from now as well. I am only 23 (turning 24 on April 30th!) so I have a lot of life left to live and love to give lol and it’d be great if I could start a family. Any success stories?? Or anybody out there like me with PCOS??

Thanks for reading I know it’s long lol.

[I am 5’7 and weighed 410lbs going into this. After the 2 week liquid diet I was down to 397lbs. After surgery I was 399lbs. As of today I am 373lbs. So that’s 37lbs from the beginning and 26lbs post surgery.]

2 hours ago, Cat0430 said:

Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I think it is great to have something like this where we can communicate and get advice from one another!

I had my VSG surgery on April 4th, 2022. So that means as of today I am 16 days post op. So far things are going alright. I am a little worried about my 2 incisions on my left side since the liquid bandage has come off and they are still open. They crust over, but any movement or showering makes them open back up. I think they are slowly healing(one of the incisions is the one where they pulled my stomach through), went to the doctor today and he said they were fine. But of course when I returned home the scabs had come off and it was back open! Any thoughts on this?

Other than that it’s been fine. Going through a lot of emotions realizing I can’t eat like I used to and just realizing how much I relied on food was hard for me. But with the support of my husband and family I am doing better.

My main reason for getting the sleeve is because I was diagnosed with PCOS. Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for about 2.5/ 3yrs now. I finally went to the doctor and was told I had PCOS about 2years ago. I went through the ringer with them putting me on birth control, hormones etc. until I found a blog that said none of that helped PCOS but those things were just a band aid solution. I tried losing weight and managed to lose 40lbs, which all came back within 2 months. And I started noticing how no matter what I did or what I ate the weight just kept coming. I went through a bout of depression about not being able to have kids, and that is when I decided to look into weight loss surgery.

I heard that it can reverse PCOS symptoms and works almost 95% of the time. When I attended the seminar the doctors also said it worked a lot for people with PCOS. So I am excited to see where this journey takes me. I am doing this to be healthy but a big chunk of me really hopes I can get pregnant a year from now as well. I am only 23 (turning 24 on April 30th!) so I have a lot of life left to live and love to give lol and it’d be great if I could start a family. Any success stories?? Or anybody out there like me with PCOS??

Thanks for reading I know it’s long lol.

[I am 5’7 and weighed 410lbs going into this. After the 2 week liquid diet I was down to 397lbs. After surgery I was 399lbs. As of today I am 373lbs. So that’s 37lbs from the beginning and 26lbs post surgery.]

Hey hon! I also have PCOS. I had my son naturally but then had 10 losses before I was diagnosed with PCOS (even though I have all the classic signs and symptoms, not a lot of doctors knew about it). This was back in 2005. I went on birth control for a few months, then had to take Metformin and Clomid to get pregnant with my daughter. I had her in 2006 (my kids are 8 1/2 years apart because of the PCOS) and after I had her, I was never able to get pregnant again. My hormones are all over the place and I CANNOT lose weight and keep it off no matter what I do (I always have initial success but it never lasts). I was told that bariatric surgery is huge in helping PCOS patients get pregnant because weight loss is the #1 thing that helps. It *can* help with hormones, but not always. The weight loss is really the biggest factor for PCOS patients. But that can also make birth control pills (which regulate periods, add estrogen to low estrogen hormones) more effective, as well as fertility meds (Metformin and Clomid, Femara, etc) more effective. Also makes your body healthier for pregnancy (almost no diabetes or high blood pressure issues). So the surgery is definitely huge for helping PCOS patients have a baby. Good luck!!!

I got the surgery because of PCOS and I definitely want to follow this thread. I hope this works out for everyone here! 💚

On 4/21/2022 at 11:27 AM, Acptfw said:

I got the surgery because of PCOS and I definitely want to follow this thread. I hope this works out for everyone here! 💚

When did you have yours and how has everything been?

On 4/20/2022 at 9:42 PM, Future Sleeve Diva said:

Hey hon! I also have PCOS. I had my son naturally but then had 10 losses before I was diagnosed with PCOS (even though I have all the classic signs and symptoms, not a lot of doctors knew about it). This was back in 2005. I went on birth control for a few months, then had to take Metformin and Clomid to get pregnant with my daughter. I had her in 2006 (my kids are 8 1/2 years apart because of the PCOS) and after I had her, I was never able to get pregnant again. My hormones are all over the place and I CANNOT lose weight and keep it off no matter what I do (I always have initial success but it never lasts). I was told that bariatric surgery is huge in helping PCOS patients get pregnant because weight loss is the #1 thing that helps. It *can* help with hormones, but not always. The weight loss is really the biggest factor for PCOS patients. But that can also make birth control pills (which regulate periods, add estrogen to low estrogen hormones) more effective, as well as fertility meds (Metformin and Clomid, Femara, etc) more effective. Also makes your body healthier for pregnancy (almost no diabetes or high blood pressure issues). So the surgery is definitely huge for helping PCOS patients have a baby. Good luck!!!

Thanks so much for that info. I’ve done a lot of research on PCOS and a lot of reading here as well. It seems like the weight loss surgery helps a lot but then there are some stories that have me worried! So I’m trying to stay positive and keep believing that I will be a success story.

2 minutes ago, Cat0430 said:

Thanks so much for that info. I’ve done a lot of research on PCOS and a lot of reading here as well. It seems like the weight loss surgery helps a lot but then there are some stories that have me worried! So I’m trying to stay positive and keep believing that I will be a success story.

For me, the winning combo was losing some weight (back then it was like 30 pounds), birth control for 3 months because I have ovarian cysts that needed to be absorbed and I needed my periods regulated, 1500mg of Metformin and 100mg of Clomid. My 2nd month off the birth control pills, I got pregnant with my daughter.

Now that I've had my surgery, I can comment on the other side of things. I will be honest, the pcos makes it harder to lose weight and keep it off. But if you stick RELIGIOUSLY to your diet, work out (even if it's a little everyday, nothing crazy), you WILL see results. I've lost 69 pounds in 3 1/2 months. And it's staying off. Will stalls happen? YES. Do they royally suck and mess with your head? HELL YES. But they are normal, they will happen, and as long as you pay attention to your non scale victories (getting off meds, clothes and rings too big, fitting in a booth better, comfortably fitting in a "regular" stall and not the bigger handicapped one, etc) you'll see progress even when the scale isn't moving. I've been off my blood pressure and diabetes meds for months. It's AMAZING. The pcos will make it harder, and will test you, but you can do this. You're stronger and better than the stupid pcos. Once you believe that, the rest is easier.