Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey there!

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I am running low on Vitamins and just ordered more but I leave for a trip on Thursday. The vitamins might get here after I'm gone. I have some different leftover vitamins but they don't have Iron in them. While I'm gone for 4 days, do you think it'd be okay to take the bariatric Vitamin without iron and an over-the-counter iron supplement just for those 4 days while I'm away? I will say I am slightly anemic since surgery so I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to go into the office to buy them because they upcharge them by 200% (26 online, 60 in the doctor's). Anyone try a non-bariatric iron supplement for emergency cases?

Thanks!

Yes. While not ideal 4 days isn’t going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things. Enjoy your trip!

Of course. Completely fine.

I agree - I don't think four days is going to make much of a difference.

Why don't you buy some liver pate? The bioavailability of these supplements is absolutely awful anyway.

Why don't you buy some liver pate? The bioavailability of these supplements is absolutely awful anyway.

Haha I don't doubt it, some supplements suck. Sadly my taste buds would have me puking it up before I could even get it down.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes. While not ideal 4 days isn’t going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks! I'll give it a whirl

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I doubt 4 days will make a difference however as far as the over the counter, I think you should just ask your surgeon.

I was on it pre-op by my PCP and my surgeon told me not to take it anymore after surgery. He said if I end up deficient again, they will to IV Iron. That iron pills are hard on the insides and even more so after having bypass.

It may just be his preference but I think the best thing you can do is ask your surgeon.

OTC Iron isn't only pills. There's a wonderful natural iron Water that's very good.

Edit: it's called Spatone and it's excellent.

Edited by Guest

You could also just buy stand alone Iron pills at the drug store for those four days. But four days is not going to make a difference in the long run.

I use ferrous gluconate for my Iron supplement, in addition to a bariatric Vitamin that contains iron. I have no digestive issues.

Four days isn’t going to make a huge difference. My team even told me if I couldn’t take my Vitamins for the first week or so it wouldn’t kill me. But, I say it depends on how worried YOU are going to be about it though. If you feel confident about missing Those four days after reading some of the answers here go for it, but if your going to worry about it and ruin your trip it may be worth the 30 bucks. Also, you may want to make sure to try the new Iron you buy before your trip in case it causes nausea. No need to be sick while on your trip.