Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling depressed/hopeless on liquid diet

So sorry you're going through this. It is an emotional time with upcoming WLS and all. Lactose is a real thing at a certain age and I have to take Lactaid now with any dairy. It was causing me diarrhea. We're here to listen to you, so feel free to vent any time. We might not have an answer, but we'll listen and support and encourage you.

1 hour ago, Vivis said:

It's really troubling to see how different the diets differ from country to country and from doctor to doctor. Everyone has their own twist on it. And that's the part that mentally plays with me so much -- knowing others are allowed to eat even one small meal a day while some of us are told no. And I keep telling myself exactly that -- whether I eat 160 calories of chicken or from a Protein Shake -- it's still 160 calories and still Protein. It's a very messed up game I have in my head trying to tell myself to follow their rules meanwhile I'm suffering and not feeling good.

As people who are told by society we lack willpower and self-control (something I don't think is true about obesity, btw), we also tend to doubt ourselves. You know if something is not right, and it seems you have a good angle on that.

I guess the way that gives you most peace of mind, and hopefully a more enjoyable last week before surgery, is to somehow finagle a chicken permission from the team at your hospital. Fingers x'ed!

It sounds like OP got some help, I found when I was doing my 2 week liquid diet I was having problems due to a sudden drop in salt. It made me feel terrible. I got permission from my team to have V8 and I found out he “minute miso” mix at the grocery store that both helped get some sodium into my diet.

I think the takeaway here is that the pre-op diet is crummy, but if you feel legitimately like something is wrong reach out to your team. I appreciated the two week pre-op liquid diet because it kind of prepped me psychologically for the post-op time. I do question the offices that have people on specific brands of shakes, etc. I can understand having restrictions on carbs, calories, sugar, whatever, but if it’s only a specific type of shake sold by the office that seems pretty suspect.

Also I just read 300 calories- that’s far below a post-op diet much less a pre-op!

21 minutes ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

It sounds like OP got some help, I found when I was doing my 2 week liquid diet I was having problems due to a sudden drop in salt. It made me feel terrible. I got permission from my team to have V8 and I found out he “minute miso” mix at the grocery store that both helped get some sodium into my diet.

I think the takeaway here is that the pre-op diet is crummy, but if you feel legitimately like something is wrong reach out to your team. I appreciated the two week pre-op liquid diet because it kind of prepped me psychologically for the post-op time. I do question the offices that have people on specific brands of shakes, etc. I can understand having restrictions on carbs, calories, sugar, whatever, but if it’s only a specific type of shake sold by the office that seems pretty suspect.

I appreciate your feedback. A friend recommended I eat more salt since that helps with diarrhea. I'm happy you got permission to have V8. That sounds so yummy right now.

UPDATE (I hope this shows that it's an update to my post):

Surgeon's office said to CUT OUT the dairy products, but didn't replace it with ANYTHING. I asked. They said to even cut out almond milk. So now I'm down to: Protein Powder mixed with Water (GROSS), liquid electrolyte drinks, broth, and Gelatin. THAT'S IT. Oh, and we're adding an antibiotic come Wednesday if things don't get better. Also told me the surgery might get postponed if the diarrhea doesn't stop and if I'm super dehydrated (WHICH CLEARLY I AM)!

I can't begin to explain how frustrated I am with the diet getting even more limited and how much it triggers me emotionally (can't stop crying, and I'm feeling all this anger boiling up). This is the first time I'm feeling that THIS ISN'T WORTH IT.

I've NEVER had a dependency on food or turned to food for emotional eating. I've also never had an eating disorder. I will say that right now, I feel like I'm going through an eating disorder. Hearing them tell me "well just limit your already super strict and limited diet" makes me not even want to try to drink anything AT ALL. Makes me want to just sit and starve myself even more. And that right there -- is an eating disorder. I feel so hopeless. That's my unfortunate update.

Edited by Vivis

3 hours ago, GradyCat said:

So sorry you're going through this. It is an emotional time with upcoming WLS and all. Lactose is a real thing at a certain age and I have to take Lactaid now with any dairy. It was causing me diarrhea. We're here to listen to you, so feel free to vent any time. We might not have an answer, but we'll listen and support and encourage you.

Your message was so sweet and supportive. I've avoided dairy products for years without knowing if I was officially lactose intolerant, but now I've been introduced to Lactaid. I haven't yet taken it...when you take it with dairy -- do you not get diarrhea anymore? Do you take Lactaid regularly or daily?

5 minutes ago, Vivis said:

Surgeon's office said to CUT OUT the dairy products, but didn't replace it with ANYTHING. I asked. They said to even cut out almond milk. So now I'm down to: Protein Powder mixed with Water (GROSS), liquid electrolyte drinks, broth, and Gelatin. THAT'S IT. Oh, and we're adding an antibiotic come Wednesday if things don't get better. Also told me the surgery might get postponed if the diarrhea doesn't stop and if I'm super dehydrated (WHICH CLEARLY I AM)!

I can't begin to explain how frustrated I am with the diet getting even more limited and how much it triggers me emotionally (can't stop crying, and I'm feeling all this anger boiling up). This is the first time I'm feeling that THIS ISN'T WORTH IT.

I've NEVER had a dependency on food or turned to food for emotional eating. I've also never had an eating disorder. I will say that right now, I feel like I'm going through an eating disorder. Hearing them tell me "well just limit your already super strict and limited diet" makes me not even want to try to drink anything AT ALL. Makes me want to just sit and starve myself even more. And that right there -- is an eating disorder. I feel so hopeless. That's my unfortunate update.

I'm sorry you're going through this. But I'm happy that your surgeons office reached out to you and hopefully you'll get some answers soon. If you do have to cancel or postpone surgery, in order to get answers, it might be a good thing. You wouldn't want to deal with these issues when you're fresh out of surgery.

I hope you feel better soon, and maybe the limited diet will ease your symptoms.

Best wishes. 🤗

33 minutes ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

Also I just read 300 calories- that’s far below a post-op diet much less a pre-op!

I can't keep anything down. The moment I try to "eat" (I say that with SO MUCH ANGER because I'm not eating anything, just drinking what's allowed) anything, the gurgling sounds pop up and I know it's a matter of minutes before the bathroom becomes my second home.

Just now, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

I'm sorry you're going through this. But I'm happy that your surgeons office reached out to you and hopefully you'll get some answers soon. If you do have to cancel or postpone surgery, in order to get answers, it might be a good thing. You wouldn't want to deal with these issues when you're fresh out of surgery.

I hope you feel better soon, and maybe the limited diet will ease your symptoms.

Best wishes. 🤗

I love your positivity. I'm no where near that level of positivity right now. But I'm going to keep re-reading your message whenever I'm feeling down in hopes some of your positivity rubs off on me! Thank you for being kind.

Just now, Vivis said:

I love your positivity. I'm no where near that level of positivity right now. But I'm going to keep re-reading your message whenever I'm feeling down in hopes some of your positivity rubs off on me! Thank you for being kind.

Thank you, I really do try! You'll get through this, and when you do, you'll be stronger when you do have surgery. 🤗

19 hours ago, Vivis said:

I'm on day 6 of the all liquid diet. I'm not doing well emotionally of physically

Hello my darling. You're having this surgery because you've taken personal responsibility to look after yourself emotionally and physically. So let's start now, ok? Go have something to eat. A small, grilled chicken breast with salt and pepper. A few boiled green Beans. It'll be OK. Just don't exceed 900 calories a day or eat solids 36 hours before surgery and you'll be absolutely fine.

15 hours ago, Vivis said:

, but now I've been introduced to Lactaid. I haven't yet taken it...when you take it with dairy -- do you not get diarrhea anymore? Do you take Lactaid regularly or daily?

I take a Lactaid only when I eat cheese or dairy, which is not very often, and I take it immediately when I start eating the dairy food. It works instantly. You don't have to worry about taking it 30 minutes before or anything, just when you start eating dairy. It doesn't build up in your system, it's an "as-needed" medicine for quick relief. I think it fights the enzymes that causes the bloating the diarrhea from the dairy. I carry it in my purse at all times in case I end up eating out somewhere with something that has cheese on it. And no, no more diarrhea if I eat dairy as long as I take a Lactaid.

I just want to first validate your feelings, I hear you 100% and you be as loud about how you feel as you need to be. We are here to hold that space for you. And I will say this is my second procedure coming up, I’m going to be a sleeve to bypass. So I’ve done the 2 week liquid diet before and I was angry and sad throughout it too. I just remember telling everyone “I just want to CHEW something!” And being stressed. It’s a hard battle we are assigned pre surgery, but I know we can do it. I’ve seen all the suggestions you’ve received and they are great. I hope some of those suggestions work for you. Just know I’m in the struggle bus with you!

16 hours ago, Vivis said:

Here's something that might help. I've never used the powdered Protein. I use the pre-made liquid Protein Drinks. Specifically, I use GNC Lean shakes which are LACTOSE FREE!!!!! I think Fairlife might also be lactose-free, but you might want to check into that. The GNC Swiss chocolate is my favorite and it has 25g of protein and tastes great. Are you drinking any Gatorade Zero to get some electrolytes in to hydrate you? It's sugar-free.