Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre surgery pre weight loss

So I’m in the part of the bariatric program where I have to lose a percentage of weight to qualify. Now that may not sound like very much but for someone who doesn’t lose weight easily at all it’s a little bit more harder for me. This is only 11 pounds, once I lose that I do a weight check in and then I get my surgery date. Once I get closer to that surgery date then I have the two week preop liquid diet.< br />
I need help and support as to how to start the weight loss going? Should I just go ahead and go into the liquid pre-op diet to lose the initial wait to get in and get my date?

I would imagine you are going to have to maintain this 11lb weight loss until surgery. That will be the hard part. There are lots of different diets to try, finding one that fits you is best. Do you cook or buy in ready made foods ? What foods would you find most difficult to give up ? My biggest downfall would have been my love of noodles and rice dishes so I had to find replacements for them. You will loose weight on the Protein Shakes but it will be difficult to maintain it unless you continue through to your surgery. What diets have you tried before ?

I agree with summerseeker. If you do it through a liquid diet, it'll just come back on. You'll need to maintain it. Focus on Protein and vegetables. Watch your portion sizes. I worked with a dietitian before I entered the program and lost over 40 lbs by eating around 2300 kcal/day, gradually increasing my protein intake, and gradually decreasing my carbohydrate intake. I also had to watch my portion sizes. I didn't think I could do it, either, but I did. Plus it got me used to what post-surgical eating would be like so it wouldn't be such a shock after surgery.

I agree. I had a long wait (7.5 months) for surgery, but as soon as I made the decision to have surgery, I changed my eating habits and I lost 50 lbs before surgery - which is 50 I don't have to lose now. I started counting calories (around 1700 a day) and cut the carbs. I ate higher Protein. I didn't do Keto, but I focused on eating minimal sweets and Pasta, bread, french fries, etc.

I was actually less hungry and my GERD went away!

You are correct! It’s best to begin and continuously decrease more in increase other things.

Thank You

It's better to start your new eating/losing lifestyle now to get accustomed to what you'll be eating after WLS. Go for it!

You can do this! Two years ago, I had a similar situation -- my surgeon wanted me to lose 20 pounds before surgery and I didn't know where to begin. Here's one of the first posts I ever made on this site:

Long story short: I ended up losing 70 pounds in the 5 months before my surgery (and another 130 pounds after surgery). My first advice on where to begin is always to start tracking your food. MyFitnessPal makes it pretty easy, and entering everything you eat can be really eye-opening and help you figure out where to get the most bang for your buck. Start by looking at the healthiest things you already like to eat, and eat those things more often while reducing the highest-calorie things that aren't worth it. As you do this, you can gradually reduce your calorie intake and start losing weight. Once you get on a roll, 11 pounds will seem like nothing. Plus, it will help you to get a head start on some of the changes you will need to make after surgery. Good luck!

So I’m in the part of the bariatric program where I have to lose a percentage of weight to qualify. Now that may not sound like very much but for someone who doesn’t lose weight easily at all it’s a little bit more harder for me. This is only 11 pounds, once I lose that I do a weight check in and then I get my surgery date. Once I get closer to that surgery date then I have the two week preop liquid diet.
I need help and support as to how to start the weight loss going? Should I just go ahead and go into the liquid pre-op diet to lose the initial wait to get in and get my date?
Hi there! Wanted to check in and see how you are doing so far? I agree with the others that your best bet is lean Protein and veggies

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Has your surgeon had you work with a dietician yet? My dietician was WONDERFUL. She worked with me on discussing my personal food preferences and established goals. I've almost lost 50 lbs and haven't started the liquid preop yet. I'm on a very high Protein, low fat, low carb diet. Lots of baked fish, chicken, and green veggies. Also supplementing Protein Shakes to get to my protein goals for the day.

I found the first week was the hardest. But the carb cravings stop.

So much great advice!! I agree with all of the above. I started eating a similar diet to the post op diet. It helped me figure out what I really liked and what was a second choice. I stopped all added sugar to coffee and such. Eliminated carbonated beverages. Stopped grazing. And started having Protein Drinks in different flavors to see what I liked. I also started walking on my 15 min break (tolerated 5min) and went from there. I felt awkward at first but realized no one noticed.

Best of Luck!!