Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about hair loss after sleeve

To those of you who have had your sleeve for a while, how much hair have you lost? Is it sudden or gradual? Is it in clumps or shedding? Did you find Biotin helped? Do you have any special shampoos or hair masks or supplements you use to help slow down the Hair loss and/or speed up regrowth? I have PCOS, so I'm used to hair shedding (many women end up with very thin-to-balding hair with it. I have had moderate shedding but my hair is thick enough that you can't really tell). My surgery day is May 3rd and I'm just trying to prepare myself. ALSO, did anyone notice any drying of their skin? If so, what do/did you use to help with that? How long did it last? Is it really bad, or just mild? Thanks in advance!!!

Hi,

I found my skin very dry early on, I just increased my moisturiser use. my hair started to shed heavily about the 4 month mark I think. I don't think there is anything you can do about it. I found after about 6 weeks it slowed down but I have days were more hair sheds and more seems to come out when I shampoo.I have lots of new growth that is about 2 to 3cms long at the moment so that really weird especially in my fringe. I did cut about 6 inches off my length. Overall I have lost more than half the volume of my hair but I had thick hair to start with so only those who know me well, my hairdresser and of course me noticed. I have been taking a liquid collagen supplement and using cel Shampoo not sure if they have helped though

21 minutes ago, SleeverSk said:

Hi,

I found my skin very dry early on, I just increased my moisturiser use. my hair started to shed heavily about the 4 month mark I think. I don't think there is anything you can do about it. I found after about 6 weeks it slowed down but I have days were more hair sheds and more seems to come out when I shampoo.I have lots of new growth that is about 2 to 3cms long at the moment so that really weird especially in my fringe. I did cut about 6 inches off my length. Overall I have lost more than half the volume of my hair but I had thick hair to start with so only those who know me well, my hairdresser and of course me noticed. I have been taking a liquid collagen supplement and using cel Shampoo not sure if they have helped though

Thank you!! I just want to do the most that I can to keep my skin, hair, and scalp as healthy as I can.

My skin was so, so itchy early on! It drove me nuts but then it stopped.

Re: Hair loss, mine was shedding. Massive amounts of shedding. I shed a lot before surgery, but afterwards it was nuts. I really did wonder how I had any hair left on my head. It started in month 2 or 3 and continued through about month 7 (roughly). I have very thick hair, so most people cannot notice but I did, as did my hairstylist!

I did not take Biotin beyond what is in my bariatric Vitamin - I just let it run its course. I have been very good about my Vitamins and Protein intake. That's not going to stop it from happening, but it is good for the regrowth. At about 7 months out, I cut my hair to my shoulders (it was very long before) and that made it less noticeable (to me). My stylist also said it had started coming in again, because my roots were thicker than the midshaft and ends of my hair. I also have been trying not to wash my hair too much and my stylist and I agreed to avoid anything that strips the hair, though I am still dying the roots, but no balayage for me for a while.

Not going to lie, the hair loss stressed me out, but cutting my hair helped lessen the visual impact. And now I can tell the hair shedding has reverted to normal levels and my hair is growing back.

My scalp was real itchy too. I am just over 4 months out and am shedding lots, I am going to have it cut short next week and I am so unhappy about it but its not the end of the world. I know it will come in again as it has happened to me before at menopause and at a time of extreme stress.

I had bypass, but the Hair loss issue is the same since it's due to trauma to the body (from the surgery) and the super low number of calories we're eating the first few months.

it's pretty rare for it to fall out in clumps. It's usually just shedding. And not everyone loses hair. I lost a little, but not enough for anyone to notice. In fact for most of us, we're the only ones who notice it.

the jury is out on Biotin. Some people say it helps, others say it did nothing at all. Honestly, I'd focus on making sure you're meeting your supplement and Protein requirements so it's not any worse than it would be otherwise.

Mine lasted from months 5-9.

it grows back. I think i can speak for those of us a ways out in that in the grand scheme of things, the hair loss is a blip on the screen and is a small price to pay for being able to lose all that weight.

My hair started really falling out around 3-4 months. I had really thick hair, so no one has noticed. I asked my surgeon about Biotin, and he basically said it's like throwing money out the window. He said to make sure I get my Protein in and take my Vitamins. I was definitely freaking out for a while when it started, but it seems to have stopped now.

Our surgery center said that no lotions, potions, or pills will change the amount of hair you lose. The only thing you can do is take your Multivitamin and get enough Protein. I have done that and I have very little Hair loss at all. I do see more shedding than I noticed before surgery, but it's certainly not what anyone would be able to tell. I do know other people who have had a lot more hair loss. It's just a matter of luck/genetics/etc. You can always get a wig.

To those of you who have had your sleeve for a while

(i’m 3.5 yrs post op sleeve)

how much hair have you lost

i lost, i would say, about 30-40% of my hair in total. Started round 3 months postop, hit its peak around 5-6 months postop, and already started noticing little chciken hair regrowth around 7 months postop. My hair went back to pre-op state about a year after that (i.e., all the regrowth got to be the same length as the rest of the hair on my head…but i had shorter hair, like just below jawline)

Was it sudden or gradual? Is it in clumps or shedding?

pretty sudden…i noticed a relatively large cllump of hair in my hand after conditioning in the shower one day. But in terms of noticeably, it was falling out all over, not in Patches. For a couple months after it started i had CARPETS of hair in my bathroom floor that needed vacuuming more often that usual. But no one notices (or at least didn’t say anything to my face) except me and my hairdresser.

Did you find Biotinhelped?

Nope.

Do you have any special shampoos or hair masks or supplements you use to help slow down the Hair loss and/or speed up regrowth?

Nope.

ALSO, didanyone notice any drying of their skin? If so, what do/did you use to help with that? How long did it last? Is it reallybad, or just mild?

i had/have dry skin normally so cant really say, but i did feel dryer than normal in the first couple months, but I attribute that to low Water intake in the beginning and the fact that it was dead of winter at the time.

11 hours ago, SleeveDiva22 said:

To those of you who have had your sleeve for a while, how much hair have you lost? Is it sudden or gradual? Is it in clumps or shedding? Did you find Biotin helped? Do you have any special shampoos or hair masks or supplements you use to help slow down the Hair loss and/or speed up regrowth? I have PCOS, so I'm used to hair shedding (many women end up with very thin-to-balding hair with it. I have had moderate shedding but my hair is thick enough that you can't really tell). My surgery day is May 3rd and I'm just trying to prepare myself. ALSO, did anyone notice any drying of their skin? If so, what do/did you use to help with that? How long did it last? Is it really bad, or just mild? Thanks in advance!!!

Sleeved in 2017 then bypassed in 2019:

I’ve only had very minor shedding near my temples but I could just be lucky. I also did I a lot of research and consulted my dermatologist about the issue because I really didn’t want to experience significant Hair loss. I relied on the LLysine and Iron studies the most to guide my decisions on which supplements to take.

Good Luck ❤️

Thank you so much, ladies! I'm used to shedding since I have PCOS. Nobody has ever noticed because I've always had thick hair. My surgeon said the Biotin is optional, so that's why I wanted to ask you all about it. I'm so glad I joined this group. I never had any increased hair loss/shedding when I had my gall bladder out or when I had all 4 wisdom teeth and 1 additional tooth removed (in a surgery center, knocked out, roots were either tangled in nerves or sideways in jaw). Again, thanks so much for your responses. I'm going to stock up on moisturizer since I tend to have drier skin and it can get really itchy.

I haven't lost any more hair or thinned hair more than it already was due to thyroid issues. I didn't have dry skin either post -WLS. I've tried everything: Biotin pills, Rogaine, Nioxin . . . none if it helped.

This is a stressor for me as well. Mainly because I already have baby fine hair to begin with. I shed hair on a regular basis, genetics and age maybe lol. I guess nothing I can do so Ill just have to let it run its course I suppose. I am thinner on the top of my hair currently. If it gets too bad I am not opposed to hair extensions or toppers that clip in. Some of those are really nice looking. So for me its worth buying one if I need to rather than over stressing myself with something I may not have control over.

My main concern is the Hair loss and teeth with wls as I already have fine hair and very thinning on the top related with hormones and ageing I guess and after reading so many comments and experiences with people who have lost their hair I have come to the conclusion that taking the right supplements and Protein religiously everyday is the key to keeping everything healthy😐

4 hours ago, Merill said:

My main concern is the Hair loss and teeth with wls as I already have fine hair and very thinning on the top related with hormones and ageing I guess and after reading so many comments and experiences with people who have lost their hair I have come to the conclusion that taking the right supplements and Protein religiously everyday is the key to keeping everything healthy😐

You said teeth. I haven't heard about wls doing anything bad to teeth. Is this really a thing?????