Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tracking vs mindful/intuitive eating?

I’m still in the preop phase before RNY, but at a recent support group I was told something I’ve been somewhat puzzled about. My program leader, at least over education, really promoted being mindful and eating by Portion Control not so much calories, etc. They do emphasize getting all the protein requirements and give guidelines, but were more concerned we learn portions than calorie counting or tracking for all the macros. This is a new concept to me and I’m wondering for those of you who’ve had surgery and been some years out what actually works best for the long haul? I’ve always learned or thought we would keep up our macros, calories, all that to the last dot everyday by way of a tracker or journal.

I think if you can do it, then mindful/intuitive eating is the best (and easiest) way to go.

For me though, I'm just not mindful nor intuitive enough to be successful using this method. I'm a calorie counter and it works for me because if I don't keep track of what I'm eating and know where my calories are at, I will just forget what I ate earlier and likely take in more calories that what I need.

But I do know that there are those who are not as "forgetful" as me and can to the intuitive/mindful eating with no issue.

As with all things, try it out, and if it works for you, cool. If it doesn't, find something that does.

Good Luck! ❤️

Mindful eating works for SOME, but many of us can't "intuitively" know what eating an amount of calories that will keep us at a good weight feels like. And, in the end, our weight depends mostly on the amount of calories you consume. Whether you count them or not. The only times in my life I've ever lost weight have been when I'm counting calories. I don't trust my intuition.

I absolutely have to track every morsel and drop. I simply don't trust myself at all due to years of eating disorders. I do like to use a couple of apps that help with my eating disorders. One of them is RR eating disorder management that is very helpful in handling my EDs.

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

it depends on the person. The dietitians in my program are really into intuitive eating and they hate the fact I count calories, but honestly, it's worked for me all these years, so I'm not about to give it up. I think intuitive eating works well for some people, but not everyone.

I do a bit of both. Really early on it was about portioned sizes then calories/macros when I was able to eat more.

Now I spot check calories to make sure I’m on track especially if I’m eating out or something decadent.

The “intuitive” eating comes from training myself to eat less than I think I can because I never wanted to be too full and feel sick.

Well, I intuitively ate myself into morbid obesity, so I'm very much in the calorie counting camp. I need the structure and control. I'm gaining a sense of calories by sight the further along I am, which will be as intuitive as I get.

More power to people who can intuitively eat and not relapse into the same errors and disordered eating, but I don't believe I'll ever be one of those.

Right after surgery I weighed and measured everything to make sure that I was getting the correct amounts. After I learned what those amounts looked like on a plate I moved more to intuitive eating. Before I take my first bite I make a plan in my head how much I'm going to eat and also try to pace myself slowly if I'm eating with other people at the table.

For me, whatever I do has to be repeatable until death. However I think tracking is essential in the beginning so you can learn about food and portions etc and once you've learned that can then become intuitive.

After my surgery last year, I started weighing everything I ate. I wasn't logging, but I kept track of Protein and total calories in my mind, at least roughly.

As the months passed, I began to weigh just at meal time. This was more to be sure I didn't hurt myself, rather than for tracking purposes.

It's been almost a year, and I've reached my target weight. I had hoped to get 10 pounds or so below my target, but I've been stuck about where I am now since Thanksgiving. Where I am now is not a bad place, so I'm not too worried.

However, I've developed a habit of grazing between meals. It will be a handful of pretzels or dry cereal straight from the box. Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal is like crack cocaine to me. I could stand in the pantry and eat half a dozen fists full. None of the grazing is tracked. (On this matter, you folks are serving as my father confessor.)

I'm going to have to be more careful if I put on several pounds.

Edited by Dave In Houston

On 04/08/2022 at 08:22, Lefti said:

Right after surgery I weighed and measured everything to make sure that I was getting the correct amounts. After I learned what those amounts looked like on a plate I moved more to intuitive eating. Before I take my first bite I make a plan in my head how much I'm going to eat and also try to pace myself slowly if I'm eating with other people at the table.

Agree about intuitively eating into obesity! Those were my thoughts exactly. I just wondered as time went on if anyone had developed more intuitive behaviors or if tracking really is the way to stay.

I should say that where possible I eat healthy food (protein, vegetables, yoghurt, fruit, cheese etc) and I put the food in this bowl. In this way I find it to be a happy medium between intuitive eating and logging my food. I think many of us have broken intuitions, but they can be fixed eventually.

20220408_174909.jpg

53 minutes ago, Dave In Houston said:

After my surgery last year, I started weighing everything I ate. I wasn't logging, but I kept track of Protein and total calories in my mind, at least roughly.

As the months passed, I began to weigh just at meal time. This was more to be sure I didn't hurt myself, rather than for tracking purposes.

It's been almost a year, and I've reached my target weight. I had hoped to get 10 pounds or so below my target, but I've been stuck about where I am now since Thanksgiving. Where I am now is not a bad place, so I'm not too worried.

However, I've developed a habit of grazing between meals. It will be a handful of pretzels or dry Cereal straight from the box. Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal is like crack cocaine to me. I could stand in the pantry and eat half a dozen fists full. None of the grazing is tracked. (On this matter, you folks are serving as my father confessor.)

I'm going to have to be more careful if I put on several pounds.

These foods like cereal and pretzels are slider foods. they are so heavily processed that they dissolve into absolutely nothing in your stomach and you can eat them even when you're full after a meal. I have to be so careful with these. Same with cake and other sweets.

Before surgery I could eat a whole box of cereal by myself in one day!

10 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

These foods like Cereal and pretzels are slider foods. they are so heavily processed that they dissolve into absolutely nothing in your stomach and you can eat them even when you're full after a meal. I have to be so careful with these. Same with cake and other sweets.

Before surgery I could eat a whole box of cereal by myself in one day!

It's powerful to go the other way though - to say to yourself, I can eat hard boiled eggs or chicken or whatever without limits. It's stops us from feeling restricted.

On 04/08/2022 at 11:50, Pollito said:

I should say that where possible I eat healthy food (protein, vegetables, yoghurt, fruit, cheese etc) and I put the food in this bowl. In this way I find it to be a happy medium between intuitive eating and logging my food. I think many of us have broken intuitions, but they can be fixed eventually.

20220408_174909.jpg

I absolutely love that tiny bowl!!! I’ve been trying to eat off small plates in this preop phase but I really need to find something that I know only holds “x” amount of food, or at least close estimation.