Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass but with keto

isnt Keto diet basically what most people go on after bariatric surgery? Basically we cant do carbs anymore so we do the healthy Proteins like chicken, Fish, eggs ect...

Watch the high fat content of the Keto diet when you are losing. As you lose weight the fat dissolves into your blood stream & many find their cholesterol level goes up & your liver function is affected because it has to work harder to try to get rid of it without addicting additional fats to your body. The increase in Protein (animal) you will be consuming will be enough extra fat for your body to cope with. Most diets while losing focus on high protein, low carb, low fat, low sugar. Maybe look into keto when you get to maintenance. But talk with your dietician.

Edited by Arabesque

I'm a recovering Keto bro. Whatever happens, on <600 cals a day you'll be in ketosis. Further on, after the first couple of months, I've made it my business to incorporate a little Pasta, fruit etc. Why? Because the problem with keto is that it isn't forever. It can't be. And if you rely on being in the state of ketosis for health and weight loss you are doomed to fail. The reason I got this surgery is to be as normal as possible because it is only through normalcy that I can be successful long term.

some people who are a ways out do Keto, but this early out, you have to make sure you're meeting your Protein requirements and you can only handle so much food, so it might be challenging to do a strict Keto diet.

10 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

isnt Keto diet basically what most people go on after bariatric surgery? Basically we cant do carbs anymore so we do the healthy Proteins like chicken, Fish, eggs ect...

depends on the program. Many are low carb, but not all. Mine wasn't. They wanted us to eat balanced diets.

10 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

True Keto is high fat, moderate Protein, low carb or ultra low carb. So I think most bariatric patients don't really hit the actual macros to be considered real keto. We're told to do lower fat, higher protein and complex carbs only if we're still hungry after we eat our protein and veggies - well that's a generalization, it does vary widely. But I think weight loss patients do low carb if anything at all but very few do actual keto.

Eating higher Protein will throw you right out of ketosis. You have to really watch your macros to stay in ketosis and the only way of knowing if you're in ketosis is to test for ketones.

20 minutes ago, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

True Keto is high fat, moderate Protein, low carb or ultra low carb. So I think most bariatric patients don't really hit the actual macros to be considered real Keto. We're told to do lower fat, higher Protein and complex carbs only if we're still hungry after we eat our protein and veggies - well that's a generalization, it does vary widely. But I think weight loss patients do low carb if anything at all but very few do actual keto.

interesting.

1 minute ago, liveaboard15 said:

interesting.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/keto#:~:text=The typical Keto macros ratio,body will start burning fats.

On 4/7/2022 at 4:52 AM, Pollito said:

I'm a recovering Keto bro. Whatever happens, on <600 cals a day you'll be in ketosis. Further on, after the first couple of months, I've made it my business to incorporate a little Pasta, fruit etc. Why? Because the problem with Keto is that it isn't forever. It can't be. And if you rely on being in the state of ketosis for health and weight loss you are doomed to fail. The reason I got this surgery is to be as normal as possible because it is only through normalcy that I can be successful long term.

THIS!!! I did keto for nearly 8 months. Had REALLY good success...at first. But you can't live like that forever, and if you have a slip up...oh boy. It's like all the weight you lost finds its way back WITH A QUICKNESS!!! And you have to have some carbs, some fats, some calories in your diet to be healthy. Has to be balanced and in moderation, but trying to live on keto forever just isn't feasible.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:24 AM, catwoman7 said:

depends on the program. Many are low carb, but not all. Mine wasn't. They wanted us to eat balanced diets.

Same. My dietician said to eat higher levels of Protein, but other than that, watch my portion sizes and how often I eat and make sure my meals are balanced (so so many fruits and vegs aren't allowed with Keto, and I'm excited to learn how to "properly" eat balanced meals again)

On 4/7/2022 at 8:26 AM, BypassingMyPhatAss said:

True Keto is high fat, moderate Protein, low carb or ultra low carb

Exactly.

Given the Protein goals post wls, to achieve the correct ratio of fat required to be Keto-proper is challenging to do while staying under a certain calorie number AND with reduced stomach size.

Handy calculator here for info purposes:

https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

I think alot of folks are likely doing something more along the lines of Atkins or Modified Atkins.

I did ultra-low carb, with min protein and max calories goals during weight loss phase, and let the fat fall where it may.

After goal, it took about 6 mnths to break this habit, and now at 3.5 years out, i basically eat whatever i feel like so long as i stay at or below 1800-2000 cals a day most days (i’m 5’2”). Its worth noting, however, that “whatever i feel like” looks alot different than what it did pre-wls.

To the OP: do what works for you until it doesn’t, then do something else.

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

I think the South Beach diet format is far better than Keto and sustainable for life. South Beach can become a way of life.