Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2022 surgery buddies

On 4/1/2022 at 10:10 AM, Edmira said:

My surgery is tentatively early June! I’m so excited!! My pre-op and post-op instructions are very similar to yours. We just talked over it but my next appointment he will be giving me all the paperwork and submitting to my insurance for final approval.

Omg I have my tentatively too in early June. I need that tentatively becomes a schedule date.

June 2021 sleever here, just popping in to your thread to say good luck & share some motivation. This time next year you are very likely to be at your goal & feel like a million bucks! You can do this, it’s not half as bad as it seems. Best thing I ever did for myself, I only wish I did it sooner. You got this!! 🥳 It is worth it.

On 05/03/2022 at 17:15, follmerpa said:

June 9th is my surgery day, only down play is I have to do a 3 week liquid diet. It could be worse I guess

No date here …hoping for the 9th as the earliest I can go with school.
I’m on day 2 of liver shrinking. MEH. Not crazy about it, but I can see it’s about new routines and habits.
Wishing everyone a great day!

On 4/8/2022 at 8:02 AM, Mickeymay said:

Where I am going in Mexico it cost $4100 in the USA it cost 10,000 if not more.

If have Insurance, it is more like $30,000. I don’t pay that, it’s what they charge them. I’ve seen the bills. They negotiate after that. Medicare pays most if the procedure n hospital stay in Fl. And my other BCBS ins will cover the rest. I’m ok for that part of it. As retired, I see the shakes and vita waters etc are expensive. Guess it’s only a couple of months, hopefully. 🤞🏼Mexico has great Drs. I’d be more worried about traveling, but some handle that pretty good. Good luck to all, my last dietician is June 16, crossing fingers - my surgery be in July.

Edited by Grider

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the convo but am happy to meet some fellow June sleevers. My last pre-op appointment is June 6th, and my bariatric coordinator said the surgery would likely be 3-4 weeks after that (putting me at end end of June/first of July).

8 minutes ago, kthorn1 said:

Hi everyone! I'm a little late to the convo but am happy to meet some fellow June sleevers. My last pre-op appointment is June 6th, and my bariatric coordinator said the surgery would likely be 3-4 weeks after that (putting me at end end of June/first of July).

Hi, and welcome! I think you are the first person on here who might possibly have surgery after me.🤣 I'm hoping for for june 8th or thereabout.

Good luck! This is a great group of people.

4 hours ago, Grider said:

If have Insurance, it is more like $30,000. I don’t pay that, it’s what they charge them. I’ve seen the bills. They negotiate after that. Medicare pays most if the procedure n hospital stay in Fl. And my other BCBS ins will cover the rest. I’m ok for that part of it. As retired, I see the shakes and vita waters etc are expensive. Guess it’s only a couple of months, hopefully. 🤞🏼Mexico has great Drs. I’d be more worried about traveling, but some handle that pretty good. Good luck to all, my last dietician is June 16, crossing fingers - my surgery be in July.

Medical charges are mostly nonsense. I'm a healthcare administrator and our charges are based on several factors, but are typically 2.5 - 3x the Medicare allowable; however, if I have a contract for higher than that (only ever worker's compensation), we will essentially round up the charge to the next whole hundred. So a procedure that we do everyday has a charge amount of $1600.00, but MCR reimburses us $299.37. By our standard the charge should be about $800; however, Florida Work Comp carriers reimburse $1593 for the procedure.

1 hour ago, kthorn1 said:

I'm also in Florida, but having my procedure in Mexico. I hope your last pre-op appointment goes well and your are scheduled quickly!

19 minutes ago, acopas said:

I'm also in Florida, but having my procedure in Mexico. I hope your last pre-op appointment goes well and your are scheduled quickly!

I've read about so many success stories from people having surgery in Mexico - I'm sure you will be one of them.
I know it's a long shot that we live in the same area, but would love to have a local friend going through this process, if so. I'm in NW-ish Florida.

4 minutes ago, kthorn1 said:

I've read about so many success stories from people having surgery in Mexico - I'm sure you will be one of them.
I know it's a long shot that we live in the same area, but would love to have a local friend going through this process, if so. I'm in NW-ish Florida.

I’m in Tallahassee.

New to this website. June 16th is my date. Excited but super nervous as well!!!

On 5/3/2022 at 5:13 PM, Chiccc said:

I have my tentative date 06/02 I just want to get the Approval for my insurance

We're so close to each other! I'm 6/1!

2 hours ago, Veritas34 said:

New to this website. June 16th is my date. Excited but super nervous as well!!!

I think I bounce between excited and nervous. Just truly ready for it to be here and done.

I did a taste test with samples from different Protein powders and flavors this week in preparation for my pre-op diet (starting May 18) where I do 4 shakes a day with one "sensible" meal.

Surprisingly delicious was Bariatric Advantage HPMR banana flavor when it was ice cold. I also liked their chocolate flavor. I shook it up and let it sit for a bit and it thickened to a nice texture. Still need to try the cinnamon. vanilla wasn't as nice but it was room temp, so I think that was a big factor. They have a "sample kit" of shake flavors that was a good purchase for me because I hate to commit to a whole bag/tub of protein and then realize the flavor is off.

Unjury Meal Replacement shakes also has a sampler of flavors and unfortunately the texture is a little grainy for me. The flavors I tried were also a little sweet. But that may fit the needs of someone else.

My WLS clinic sells Optifast products which are the yummiest shakes to me but unfortunately are individually packaged and $3/shake which is much more expensive than everything else. And only available via MD.

Hope my taste testing and $$ spent can help someone else! Please share if you guys have tried anything good!

6 minutes ago, sleevedreams2022 said:

I did a taste test with samples from different Protein powders and flavors this week in preparation for my pre-op diet (starting May 18) where I do 4 shakes a day with one "sensible" meal.

Surprisingly delicious was Bariatric Advantage HPMR banana flavor when it was ice cold. I also liked their chocolate flavor. I shook it up and let it sit for a bit and it thickened to a nice texture. Still need to try the cinnamon. vanilla wasn't as nice but it was room temp, so I think that was a big factor. They have a "sample kit" of shake flavors that was a good purchase for me because I hate to commit to a whole bag/tub of Protein and then realize the flavor is off.

Unjury Meal Replacement shakes also has a sampler of flavors and unfortunately the texture is a little grainy for me. The flavors I tried were also a little sweet. But that may fit the needs of someone else.

My WLS clinic sells Optifast products which are the yummiest shakes to me but unfortunately are individually packaged and $3/shake which is much more expensive than everything else. And only available via MD.

Hope my taste testing and $$ spent can help someone else! Please share if you guys have tried anything good!

I personally don't like the powders and use the ready to drink shakes. I prefer Atkins Milk chocolate Delight to just about anything else.