Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am OVERWEIGHT and PROUD of it !!!!!Hidy, Hidy Everybody especially my TLC Edge family that helped me sooo much before and after surgery. I am happy to announce that this morning I weighed 245 lbs. According to the BMI charts I am now "overweight" and not "morbidly obese" like I was when I weighed 338 lbs, around Christmas '07, when I started this journey.

Thanks for letting me brag.

I hope everyone else is shrinking and out livin' life.

Doug

db

Congrats, Cowboy!!

Hi all! I've been taking a break for a while, trying to adjust to this new "lifestyle". It's been frustrating because I seemed to be really stuck on a plateau, but thankfully it seems to have passed. It seems like I've had more non-scale victories than scale loss, so that has given me incentive to hang in there.

I cleaned out my closet last weekend and realized that NONE of my winter stuff would fit anymore, so I bagged it all up for the Helping Hands thrift store in Rockwall. Imagine my surprise when I went shopping and bought 4 pairs of slacks that were a size 12!!!! I nearly cried in the dressing room. I never thought I'd EVER see a 12 again! I was in 18/20's when I had surgery. That was such a wonderful feeling!

I guess we don't see ourselves as others see us. I knew I was losing inches and sizes, but I still think of myself as "FAT". Maybe that will eventually give way to reality in my head, but it sure felt good to bounce out of JC Penneys with size 12 clothes!!!!!!

Hope you guys don't mind - I just *had* to tell someone, and you're about the only ones who can truly understand the emotional roller coaster of all this.

So how is everyone else doing? Cynthia, I'll be sad to see George go- he was the BEST!

Pat

Can someone give me a review on the Mesquite office?

I'm giving myself this surgery as a graduation present next year and will be going to the Mesquite office since it is the closest to my home.

I'm wondering how packed the waiting room is and how long the wait is generally? How long in advance do you have to make an appointment? Who's giving the fills? How long does it take to give a fill?

Hi guys! I've been reading this forum off and on for the past couple months. I chose to have my surgery at TLC Edge. I'm on the liquid diet now and my surgery is scheduled for 10/13! These 2 weeks are probably going to move super slowly. I'm really ready to have the surgery and move on to the next phase.

It's been wonderful being able to read other people's experiences that have also gone through TLC Edge. I appreciate everything that you've all posted!

My surgery is scheduled with Victor Gonzalez. Did he do anyone else's surgery? I'm wondering if he did a good job and also if he gives the blood thinner shot while you're still awake or not. I'm not normally scared of shots, but to get one in my stomach doesn't sound fun. I really hope I get it after I'm already out. I meet with him on 10/8 so I'll probably have a better idea then.

K, I have gotten serious about getting this done and its either going to be TLCEdge or Dr. Daniel Scott who does the single incision lap band. I would love to hear from those of you who believe in TLCEdge why, what has gone right, what challenges you had, who your doctor (surgeon) was and how it works after surgery (ie whether you ever see your surgeon again).

Thanks! I hope to be banded just before Thanksgiving and am anxious to get this ball rolling.

I chose TLC Edge because of the price since I'm having to pay for this myself. Their price right now is $9990. I have my surgery scheduled 10/13/08 with Dr. Victor Gonzalez. I meet with him for the first time on 10/8. I went with him because I wanted to have surgery on a Monday (for a full week off from work) and that's when he does surgeries. I'll let you know what my impression is once I meet with him and then again after my surgery.

TLC Edge so far is great. Cynthia O'Kelley is very knowledgable and always answers my questions about lap band. Also the receptionist at the Grapevine location (I didn't get her name) was very friendly and made me laugh. I really like that they're up front about what is covered and not covered too. I don't want any hidden suprises. The only things not covered are the Protein Shakes and the psych evaluation.

how much is the psych, and Protein Shakes?

I paid $120 for psych exam and about $300 for shakes.< /p>

That was enough shakes for 2 weeks prior to surgery and about 3 weeks after. I liked the Optifast shakes better than anything I could find at the stores.

GOOD LUCK with your lapband journey. Your only regret will be not doing this sooner.

My wife is so impressed with my success and the TLCEdge people that she has started process to get a band herself.

db

I was able to take a letter from my primary care doctor to Dr. Gonzalez in place of the psych evaluation. So that only cost me the standard co-pay. My Optifast shakes were enough for 2 weeks and cost $175.00.

BTW, I was a little worried about having my surgery with Dr. Gonzalez since there weren't others on here that posted about having surgery with him. But I had mine on 10/13 and he was great. No complaints at all and no complications! :thumbs_up:

BTW, I was a little worried about having my surgery with Dr. Gonzalez since there weren't others on here that posted about having surgery with him. But I had mine on 10/13 and he was great. No complaints at all and no complications! :smile2:

I am sorry I didn't see your comment sooner. I have been experiencing computer problems and I am only able to get on at work.

Dr. Gonzalez did my surgery and he was so nice. I really loved him. He explained everything to my satisfaction and even gave me some really great advice in relation to my job as a healthcare provider.

I am sure you had your surgery by now. I hope you had a great experience with Dr. Gonzalez.

Best wishes to you and to all the others here on this board. I have missed you guys.

I am losing slowly, but hey, that's better than gaining rapidly, which I already know I am good at. I do notice the non-scale victories and the health benefits. I have recently added exercise and feel great.

I haven't posted much in awhile, but I continue to read and get encouragement from all of you.

We are all in this together. Love you guys.

Stephanie---Waco,Tx

Hi fellow TLC band buddies:)

I'm here....plugging away at this weight loss. It's REALLY slowed down but I've not had a fill since May 1st. I've adjusted my goal weight b/c I don't think it's a realistic goal anymore.....so I'm shooting for 140 instead of 130. I'm at 161, as of this morning. Started at 229, so I'm pleasantly surprised with band-life! It's hard work but I feel SOOOOOO much better. I'm wearing size 12's now...started out wearing 20's! Going to the chiropractor monthly now instead of several times each week. My goal is to reach 150 by January 17th....my 1 year bandiversary. Not sure if I can do it....but I'm going to give it my best effort!

Hope ya'll are doing great! Please update when you get a minute or two:)

Blessings all.....Happy Thanksgiving (a little early)

Hi fellow TLC band buddies:)

I'm here....plugging away at this weight loss. It's REALLY slowed down but I've not had a fill since May 1st. I've adjusted my goal weight b/c I don't think it's a realistic goal anymore.....so I'm shooting for 140 instead of 130. I'm at 161, as of this morning. Started at 229, so I'm pleasantly surprised with band-life! It's hard work but I feel SOOOOOO much better. I'm wearing size 12's now...started out wearing 20's! Going to the chiropractor monthly now instead of several times each week. My goal is to reach 150 by January 17th....my 1 year bandiversary. Not sure if I can do it....but I'm going to give it my best effort!

Hope ya'll are doing great! Please update when you get a minute or two:)

Blessings all.....Happy Thanksgiving (a little early)

Congrats on your accomplishments. You are doing great.

Band life is hard and not the "easy way out" as some people think. I had my second fill a few weeks ago and just started losing again, after several months at a stand still.

I am finding it very hard to tolerate breads/tortillas and pastas. I guess it forms a dough like ball and gets stuck. I really love Jamba juice. On my days off, I go by there and get one for Breakfast, before heading off to the gym.

Going to the gym is starting to become a new habit for me and much easier with less weight to drag around.

I am also wearing size 12's right now, down from 18. I am so happy. I would love for the weight to just fall off, but I am so satisfied with the way things are going. Not only does my body adjust to losing weight better with a slower weight loss, but my mental state does too. Every now and then when I have the guts to look into a mirror at the gym, I am finding I don't look at all that bad afterall. The big, fat ugly whale is all I ever saw and that image tries to sneak back in now and then, but I am loving myself more and more everyday.

It is so funny how we don't see what everyone else sees when it comes to our self image. People tell me I look great and I get lots of compliments, but most of the time, I just don't see it. I know I am losing because my old clothes fall off of me.

Sorry to ramble on. Best wishes on reaching your goal.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

Wow, you guys are doing great. Keep it up!! :thumbup:

I'm doing good so far. I had my first fill setup for last week but I cancelled it because I'm still satisfied with the little amount of food I'm able to eat and I'm losing weight slowly but steadily.

I've only encountered a few things that I can't eat so far: tuna, steak, grilled chicken, and sub bread like from Quiznos. I've only thrown up 2x and it's from eating steak or chicken. I chewed it really well, but I guess it's still just too compact or dry to eat.

I've lost 35 pounds altogether. I am counting from when I first started the liquid diet on 9/29, my surgery was on 10/13. And I'm fitting into old clothes in my closet which I really enjoy! I am excited to know that I'll lose weight over the holidays rather than gain too!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenae,

How did you like Dr. Gonzalez? I just loved him.

Sounds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work.

I also love knowing I am not going to pack on the pounds this holiday. That will be a first for me. Yay!!!!!

best wishes,

Stephanie