Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where’s the weight loss??

Ugh. Today marks two weeks since my RNY. First week I lost 10 lbs. This past week I lost 1.5 lbs. I don’t understand how this is even mathematically possible when I’m eating no more than 600 cal/day on average (no issues getting fluids in, no Constipation, eating mushy foods now and getting most of my Protein in). The logical side of my brain knows this is a process, but the emotional part that misses McDonald’s fries is feeling like this tastes a lot like Weight Watchers 🙄

You are doing great. Not everyone looses a ton of weight quickly. Some are slower than others, some are faster. and remember you will hit stalls along the way where you wont loose much or any weight at all for a couple weeks or so. Just stick to the program and you will do great. This is a long process.

I agree with everything liveaboard15 said. Plus you may have started your three-week stall a little early. I did as well - mine was weeks 2 & 3 (most of us have our first major stall sometime during the first month of surgery. We call it the "three-week stall" because it's usually the third week, but not always). Just stick to your plan and stay off the scale for a few days....

1 hour ago, cgp1204 said:

Ugh. Today marks two weeks since my RNY. First week I lost 10 lbs. This past week I lost 1.5 lbs. I don’t understand how this is even mathematically possible when I’m eating no more than 600 cal/day on average (no issues getting fluids in, no constipation, eating mushy foods now and getting most of my Protein in). The logical side of my brain knows this is a process, but the emotional part that misses McDonald’s fries is feeling like this tastes a lot like Weight Watchers 🙄

P.S. wanted to add that after the first month, this IS a lot like Weight Watchers. Unless you're the size of someone on "My 600 lb Life", you're not going to drop 30 or 40 lbs a month (or whatever). People typically have a big drop the first month, because that's mostly Water weight - and then you'll settle in to about 10 lbs a month, give or take, for several months - and then, as you approach your goal, it will really slow down.

the difference this time is that you have a tool that makes your efforts pay off. It actually works as long as you stick to your plan. The most I could ever lose before surgery was about 50 lbs - and then it would gradually come back on. No way I could have EVER lost the 200+ lbs I did - and keep most of it off (I did have a 20 lb rebound after hitting bottom - which is very common). The surgery was the only thing that made that possible.

Edited by catwoman7

On 03/15/2022 at 10:43, catwoman7 said:

P.S. wanted to add that after the first month, this IS a lot like Weight Watchers. Unless you're the size of someone on "My 600 lb Life", you're not going to drop 30 or 40 lbs a month (or whatever). People typically have a big drop the first month, because that's mostly Water weight - and then you'll settle in to about 10 lbs a month, give or take, for several months - and then, as you approach your goal, it will really slow down.

the difference this time is that you have a tool that makes your efforts pay off. It actually works as long as you stick to your plan. The most I could ever lose before surgery was about 50 lbs - and then it would gradually come back on. No way I could have EVER lost the 200+ lbs I did - and keep most of it off (I did have a 20 lb rebound after hitting bottom - which is very common). The surgery was the only thing that made that possible.

Thank you for this perspective! It’s so helpful. I think the tool part is exactly the same for me. I need this in conjunction with better eating. I used to try WW over and over and could only lose about 15 lbs over months and months. I only lost weight when I used Phentermine. I am fine with losing slowly l, but seeing just -1.5 lb in a week made me have buyer’s remorse at first. I need to lose about 80-90 lbs total. Thanks for helping me off the ledge 🙃

Weigh yourself once a week. Take what ever it says. I had a 5 week stall at 2 months out. You will get there eventually if you keep with the program.

At this point, the number on the scale is meaningless. Your body is still adjusting to the major change of the surgery. Right now, you need to focus on getting your Protein and Water, and recovering from the surgery. If you stick to your plan, the weight will come off. It won’t happen instantly (remember, you didn’t gain the weight overnight, so you won’t lose it overnight), but you’re doing great so far, so keep it up and keep the faith!

23 hours ago, cgp1204 said:

I don’t understand how this is even mathematically possible when I’m eating no more than 600 cal/day

You answered your own question. I seem to be posting this on every thread lately but ...you don't (I hope) want to lose weight, you want to lose fat (seems people are really scared of that word. It's fat loss surgery. Weight loss surgery is leg amputation.) If you ate 600 calories in a day, you lost fat that day, plain and simple. And you didn't lose 10lb of fat that first week. You didn't lose close to that. Your fat loss has almost certainly been constant or near constant each day so far. Others have explained why but the first week you probably lost 5lb or more of inflammation weight. Unpopular advice: stop weighing yourself. Eat Protein, drink Water. Walk gently and often. Smile.

Edited by Guest

I agree with the above posters. There’s no magic elevator down, just the same hard work. The difference is that the WLS tool helps your efforts make significant change over time. Keep up your healthy eating, you’ve got this. I look for non-scale victories like how fast I can walk a mile, wearing smaller clothes, and carrying heavy books, or ease walking up stairs. The scale only looks interesting about once a month because of stalls and fluctuations.

It took me 4 months to lose 40 pounds. Weight loss is slow for some of us. Keep the faith

Sent from my SM-A326U using BariatricPal mobile app

IT ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT MATHEMATICALLY MAKE SENSE!

I have only been in the July 2021 Gastric Sleeve Thread. I just happened to see this.

I am 56, 55 at the time of surgery and my highest weight was 196. To be honest, it was 196 because I binged before the surgery knowing life would change.

It's been 7 months now. I have lost 20 pounds. I'm thinking, "there is no way! I'm eating about an eighth of what I used to eat and all I've lost is 20 pounds!"

First of all --this was a relief and proof to me that after all these years no amount of dieting or exercising was going to help if even gastric bypass can only give me a 20 pound loss!

No, I'm not eating sweets. I've lost my appetite for anything sweet. I absolutely cannot drink anything carbonated, so I drink Water and tea sweetened with stevia. I've had enough Protein Shakes to last me a lifetime. I can only eat about 4 or 5 bites at any meal. So what am I doing wrong?

And get this.......the dr put me on Adipex!

All I know is, I'm 16 pounds away from my goal. I have no idea if I will get there. The dr called year 1 the "honeymoon" and basically stated that if I'm going to lose, it will be done within year one. He said he doesn't usually see a loss in year two. So, I've got 5 months to lose 16 pounds.

If you are thinking you are the only one with this issue --you are not.