Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 1 year…2 month stall

At what point did you stop losing?

I’m almost at a year, and have gone up/down the same 2 pounds for 2 months. I am happy at this weight (would love to lose another 10-15 pounds to be at a “normal” BMI), but am wondering if this is typically the end of weight loss.

I’m feeling pretty good about continuing the daily maintenance it would take to stay this way long term. I’m not willing to do much else to lose weight because mentally, I feel I’d start obsessing, which would backfire eventually. I want to be at peace and not gain. 😊

I stopped losing at 9 months. Now I'm at it again 3 years later trying to drop a few pounds. Very slow, glacial slow, but it's working

Would you be willing to share your stats Esi? What was your starting weight and how much have you lost? I have no idea whether there's any definite line between the weight loss phase and maintenance phase OTHER than one ends and the other starts when you stop losing weight. Sounds like you see it looking backwards after a couple of months and sounds like you might be there. I am sure that if you change things about a bit you COULD lose more weight, but as you say, if this is your new set weight then you'd just have picked a battle you could never win - one most of us have been fighting all our lives. On the other hand this could be a final very gradual loss where you really do only lose like a pound a month or less, and again you may only recognise that looking backwards in another six months!

Anyway, you have done brilliantly to get within 10-15lbs of a BMI of 25. Lots of folks would be super pleased with that. I think you sound as if you have a totally sensible approach to it.

Edited by Spinoza
spelling, as ever

20 months. But I started out at over 300 lbs. I can tell you, though - those last 20 lbs or so before you hit a normal BMI are a BEAR to get off! I thought they'd NEVER come off!

Sounds like you are happy where you are (and not interested in doing anything more to change it)....soooooo congratulations on getting to goal!

P.S. I tried to stop losing on purpose at 7 months (upped my calories considerably), and stopped losing consistently around 9-10 months (lowest weight 109 lbs). I'm 3+ years post op, 5'2" 118 lbs this morning. I eat around 1800-2000 cals/day these days.

Edited by ms.sss

If you don't mind sharing, how many calories are you eating now vs two months ago when you were losing? I'm an avid tracker for years and can see when, why and how my weight changed from month to month.

Thank you for the replies!

Highest weight: 249 (thanks to the pandemic for accelerating my emotional eating)

Surgery weight: 225

Current weight: 149 (lost 85%+ excess weight, depending on date of comparison)

I don’t track calories.

As we all know, the mental part of this can be equally hard as the physical, sometimes more. Just trying not to push myself to the point at which I feel deprived and I’m working too hard.

And like Spinoza wrote so well, picking a battle I could never win... I also read an article recently about how a BMI of 27 is perhaps the best. Interesting!

https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycare/obesity/57821

On 2/13/2022 at 7:11 PM, Esi said:

Thank you for the replies!

Highest weight: 249 (thanks to the pandemic for accelerating my emotional eating)

Surgery weight: 225

Current weight: 149 (lost 85%+ excess weight, depending on date of comparison)

I don’t track calories.

As we all know, the mental part of this can be equally hard as the physical, sometimes more. Just trying not to push myself to the point at which I feel deprived and I’m working too hard.

And like Spinoza wrote so well, picking a battle I could never win... I also read an article recently about how a BMI of 27 is perhaps the best. Interesting!

https://www.medpagetoday.com/primarycare/obesity/57821

Excellent link, thank you for sharing!

You may be at the "right" weight for your body. I know that you can still lose weight after one year post surgery, but it may be VERY slow. Also, you want whatever you're doing to be sustainable. I think the goal should be on maintaining weight as well, which requires having a diet you can live with for the long haul.

If you are determined to lose weight, you could TRY counting calories for a few weeks, but that might not be something you're willing to commit to.

Anyway, congratulations on your success!