Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RYGB- Limb Lengthening

I had a RYGB in 2005 and had pretty much kept the weight off until this past Pandemic/COVID19. I went from 160lbs to 217lbs, with constant GERD, heartburn and a fistula. I decided to get a limb lengthening done since the gastric pouch/stomach had not changed in size at all per Dr. Proctor. On January 1st, 2022, I stopped drinking wine and went into the 2 shakes daily (modified diet) then on the week prior to surgery changed to 3 shakes daily. On the day of surgery January 19th, I weighed 209. Today, I am 3 weeks post-op and weigh 200lbs. Spoke with the doctors office and was told that she (PA) has noticed that weight loss with the limb lengthening is slower and not the same with the regular RYGB, Sleeve, Lap-band. Has anyone underwent the Limb lengthening procedure?

I have never heard of that procedure but I think with all the surgeries that rate of weight loss is very individual. I had sleeve and I was a slower loser. I have heard people who continue to lose for quite some time (like two years out) though so if you stick to the plan the weight should come off even if slower than you hope.

I also am not familiar with that surgery, but the general rule I've heard is that each successive weight loss surgery will have less weight loss, so if you have a sleeve, lose weight, and then have bypass (whether due to GERD or regain) you will not likely lose as much as you did with the initial surgery.

I've never heard of limb lengthening. I don't understand what it is.

17 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

I also am not familiar with that surgery, but the general rule I've heard is that each successive weight loss surgery will have less weight loss, so if you have a sleeve, lose weight, and then have bypass (whether due to GERD or regain) you will not likely lose as much as you did with the initial surgery.

^^^^ agreed. That's what I've always heard as well

17 hours ago, GradyCat said:

I've never heard of limb lengthening. I don't understand what it is.

They lengthen the part of the intestine that was bypassed, so you don't absorb as much. This isn't a common "thing", but I've heard of a couple of other people having this done.

Edited by catwoman7

I'm getting ready to have this surgery done in March. Had my original RnY done in Jan of 2001. It's been 20 years. I lost 95lbs and haven't gained it back, but I still have about 100-125 to loose. Good to know that I should expect slower weight loss.

I had a RYGB in 2005 and had pretty much kept the weight off until this past Pandemic/COVID19. I went from 160lbs to 217lbs, with constant GERD, heartburn and a fistula. I decided to get a limb lengthening done since the gastric pouch/stomach had not changed in size at all per Dr. Proctor. On January 1st, 2022, I stopped drinking wine and went into the 2 shakes daily (modified diet) then on the week prior to surgery changed to 3 shakes daily. On the day of surgery January 19th, I weighed 209. Today, I am 3 weeks post-op and weigh 200lbs. Spoke with the doctors office and was told that she (PA) has noticed that weight loss with the limb lengthening is slower and not the same with the regular RYGB, Sleeve, Lap-band. Has anyone underwent the Limb lengthening procedure?

Hi did you have this surgery?

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yep, I had limb lengthening a month ago. Expect a different experience. Instant fullness is less likely, weight will come off slower( you are smaller than before).

No, Instantt fullness is less likely, weight will come off slower( you are smaller than before).

it takes a bit longer to feel full. No issues really, positive experience.