Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth control and gastric bypass

Hey all!

Any ladies take birth control after bypass? I took lo lesterin for a couple years and got off the pill last year because I promised myself I wasn't going to date again until after I got surgery and a new job lol

I am thinking about getting back on it but I hear it's less effective after surgery because of absorption. Anyone know about this? Have you tried alternatives like implants or IUDs?

Thanks! P.s. I tolerated lo lesterin really well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had sleeve not bypass, and I don't have sex because I'm not interested in it, but I know that you will likely be much more fertile after surgery, even if you don't get your period for a while. I haven't heard of birth control pills not working, but you will have to be really careful to take them EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I know a lot of people on here have used IUDs and really like it. I personally would hesitate to get the implants because they can cause weight gain in some people.

I would ask your surgeon.

I'm sleeved and I take the mini pill however my fiancé and I also use condoms. But no unplanned pregnancies yet so take that how you will lol. And I do have a toddler from prior to surgery.

I have a handful of friends with IUDs who really like them but I know peoples experiences can vary.

I had surgery after I'd already gone through menopause, so I have no experience with this - or at least post-surgical experience, but I'd be careful with things like implants and Depo-Provera (the shot). Both are notorious for weight gain. I don't know if that's true after surgery, too, but...

I know the men may hate me for this but there is always the option of a vasectomy if it’s a long term choice to not have children. Obviously this wouldn’t be a solution for the OP for just dating but for those who are married reading this, the absorption and weight gain concerns are real and it may be time for the men to step up. At least it’s worth considering.

When I had my lap band I had Mirena. It's a bish placing it, but once you get past that, it's nice not having periods for five years. It actually helped with my band being too tight during my period. Before I had the Mirena, my band would become so restricted during my period that I had to have liquids during that time, so the Mirena helped by stopping my period. By year four, I had an abdominal CT for something else, and the radiologist noted that the Mirena had migrated into my uterine wall. So out it came. This was only my experience, I know it doesn't happen to the majority of Mirena users.

I never cared for the pill. I didn't like the side effects. There's also Nuva Ring. It's been around for years.

14 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

When I had my lap band I had Mirena. It's a bish placing it, but once you get past that, it's nice not having periods for five years. It actually helped with my band being too tight during my period. Before I had the Mirena, my band would become so restricted during my period that I had to have liquids during that time, so the Mirena helped by stopping my period. By year four, I had an abdominal CT for something else, and the radiologist noted that the Mirena had migrated into my uterine wall. So out it came. This was only my experience, I know it doesn't happen to the majority of Mirena users.

I never cared for the pill. I didn't like the side effects. There's also Nuva Ring. It's been around for years.

I forgot about Nuva Ring. I used that for years, but then I read that it doesn't work as well in obese people. I didn't get pregnant, but that's probably because I don't have sex 🤣

1 minute ago, lizonaplane said:

I forgot about Nuva Ring. I used that for years, but then I read that it doesn't work as well in obese people. I didn't get pregnant, but that's probably because I don't have sex 🤣

Omg! Lol, I hadn't heard that. I used it for years as well and never got pregnant with it.

35 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

Omg! Lol, I hadn't heard that. I used it for years as well and never got pregnant with it.

Neither does the morning after pill... But I think it still works, just not as well! Or maybe that was the patch? ?? Sorry, it's been a while

Edited by lizonaplane

10 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

Neither does the morning after pill... But I think it still works, just not as well! Or maybe that was the patch? ?? Sorry, it's been a while

Scary stuff for sure.

I have a Mirena IUD and love it. Very light periods and no more cramps. Some surgeons won't do surgery on a women of childbearing age unless they are on birth control. Even though I have the Mirena and am not sexually active in any form my GP still did a pregnancy test. Of course it was negative, [emoji23]

Sent from my Z6201V using BariatricPal mobile app

I already had my iud (Kyleena) for 2 years before surgery and I like it because I don’t have to think about it.

The insertion was more painful than surgery lol.

My surgeon told me to get off of the pill at least a month and a half before surgery due to the increased risk of blood clots and stay off for 3 months after surgery but I was concerned about absorption too so I got an IUD (Liletta). I had tried 2 prior (this one and the Paraguard) and had horrible experiences but this time around with the Liletta is going fine, just a bit of spotting.

I was just having this conversation with my sister the other day. I find it really interesting when it comes to ideas about bariatric surgery and birth control. I had the Paragard IUD when I had my RNY in September 2013. I started experiencing horrible hormonal acne three years later, and was prescribed Yaz. I had my IUD removed because the bleeding was terrible. I had never had heavy periods prior to the Paragard and when it was removed, the heavy bleeding stopped. Yaz has kept my skin blemish free for 6 years. Even as a RNY patient, it has been completely effective against pregnancy. So, for some women, there may be an increased risk of malabsorption of the BCP, but that has not been my experience. My GYN knows my surgical history and told me years ago it’s totally fine for me and my husband to continue using as our primary method of BC.

Edited by BAA624