Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My tummy tuck experience

Tummy Tuck (included muscle repair no lipo) on 1/19/22
I am 2 weeks PO tomorrow

The good:
I felt the pain was less than I imagined. I felt sore (and still do slightly) of course but it was far less than I anticipated.
The horrible pouch, AKA Joey, is GONE! What a relief! Good riddance to Joey!
At my appointment yesterday I was told I am healing VERY fast and ahead of the curve. They said I look more like 4+ weeks. Everything looks good!
I’m pleased already with my results even with the above the suture line swelling mid line.

The bad:
Constipation experience 2-3 days post op (I’ve blocked it out). I won’t get graphic but dear lord this was not good! The pain of this while being sore and stitched up was horrible! Yes, I took all the stuff yo prevent this. However, each time I get surgery this happens to me! I’d rather give birth!
The drains…. I knew I would hate them and I did. One drain leaked from the site for 7 days. Once that was removed it helped a lot. The second drain (non leaker) was just removed yesterday so I am feeling like a human!
Indigestion and gas have been an issue. It is quite unpleasant to be bloated with when you are stitched up.

Advice:
You need a person to help the first few days for sure. Changing dressings, emptying drains initially would have been impossible for me if I didn’t have my husband. Don’t try this alone!
Get a recliner. We already had an electric one so it helped me a lot. I sleep in it and don’t think I could possibly sleep anywhere else as I am NOT normally a back sleeper. The recliner helps adjust your position so you can find the sweet spot where you don’t hurt.
Drink lots of fluids and eat foods that do not create gas.
Be kind to yourself. If you are like me, you have wanted this surgery for a long time. Don’t try to do too much so that you cause a complication.
Have a firm pillow at hand so you can press on your tummy when trying to get up in the beginning or sneezing/coughing (ugh).

I hope this helps someone. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

How long were you at "goal" weight before you had the TT? Also, I have a "pouch" above my girly bits that is something that bothers me more that the stomach, which is still more clearly fat. Did you have this lifted or removed? Or is that something else? Or maybe that wasn't an issue for you?

I was at goal for slightly over 2 years. I remember reading that it is good to wait at least a year but there are people here on BP that did not wait and did great.

One of the bonuses with a TT is they do a mons pubis lift so that issue is corrected. 😊

This is very thorough and helpful information for those considering this procedure.

Appreciate the info! If you feel comfortable would you mind sharing the cost? This is a procedure I’m considering and I’m trying to get an idea of this.

I paid just under 8k but I was given a discount by surgeon as a hospital employee as a professional courtesy. The total included the surgery center and anesthesiologist fees.

I would also budget for a couple hundred over that for supplies. I found I was ordering things on Amazon because I was going through supplies. Between combine pads, gauze pads, tape, random digestion meds, neosporin, spare binder, etc., it will add up!

@pssk how are you doing?

Thank you so much for sharing…I really appreciate it.

Hi Kris. I’m doing well at 3 weeks except I am still quite swollen on incision line. Primarily it is centered above pubic bone. What bothers me is that I am more swollen right of center than left. The pubic area is also swollen. I thought I would be able to look down and see my pubic bone! Lol

How are you doing?

You’re going to be swollen at first. Give it time. Gravity pulls down so any fluids and swelling are prob all there.
Anytime you want to PM you are welcome to. I’m just at a year out. Well jan made a year😊