Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cottage cheese

I'm week 2 post-op and my paperwork says to test cottage cheese. I've never had it before and am worried about the bland taste. What can I add to it for flavor but keep it in a smooth consistency besides fruits? I enjoy savory more than sweet.

Sent from my SM-F711U using BariatricPal mobile app

I do not like cottage cheese but if you like savory you could maybe add some ranch seasoning to it?? I add that to plain Greek yogurt and it’s a great dip for veggies but while I was on earlier stages I would just eat a teaspoonful to have something savory.

Cottage cheese lover here.

I often like it savoury too. I’ll sprinkle black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder, or salt (or any combination of the aforementioned, lol).

Beyond soft food phase, there are endless others savoury things to pair it with, yum!

Hot sauce, garlic or onion powder, chili powder, Sriracha, Italian seasoning, puréed onion and dill pickles (makes it a great dip), and even puréed kimchi. A lot of the options I have are spicy so if you don’t do well with that it might be tough.

The soft foods phase was my chance to try all the herbs and spices I had in new ways.

52 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Cottage cheese lover here.

I often like it savoury too. I’ll sprinkle black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder, or salt (or any combination of the aforementioned, lol).

Beyond soft food phase, there are endless others savoury things to pair it with, yum!

I'm so glad that you replied to this as all of your posts on the food Before and After Photos give me hope and inspire me. I was also looking for some ways to snaz up cottage cheese, making it more savory. I will try your suggestions.

I like tajin seasoning - it’s a chili lime seasoning. It’s good on plain yogurt and cottage cheese.

I am Indian, so I make "Palak Paneer" out of my cottage cheese. You can look up any recipe online. Use less oil (I use 1 tsp of coconut oil and usually have about 5 servings from it), don't add any heavy cream or anything - "Garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes, spinach puree, salt, pepper and other spices as you desire and cottage cheese". It'll be viola.

I am 1 month post-Op and this savory style of cottage consumption is awesome. Plus 1 serving is loaded with Protein.

I never tried it during my full fluid/puree phase. But I am sure you can puree it and consume it as a form of Soup.

12 hours ago, DaisyAndSunshine said:

I am Indian, so I make "Palak Paneer" out of my cottage cheese.  You can look up any recipe online.

I totally googled it and realized I’ve had this before and loved it…just didn’t know what it was called. I’m def gonna make an attempt at this next week!

11 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I totally googled it and realized I’ve had this before and loved it…just didn’t know what it was called. I’m def gonna make an attempt at this next week!

Palak Paneer is definitely yummy. The usual style is made with cubes of cottage cheese (Paneer). But cubes rarely come in low fat or skim milk option. Hence I can't use the regular type for now. I simply substitute cottage cheese cubes for skim milk or 1% cottage cheese in the curry. Taste is more or less same and Protein quality is great for this phase of weight loss.

But since you're almost 3 years (I think) post-Op, you can easily do cottage cheese cubes. Paneer (cottage cheese) blocks can be found in certain western groceries otherwise easily found at any Indian grocery and in TO you'll have no issue finding Indian groceries.