Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-procedure anxiety ESG

Hi! I am scheduled for ESG procedure in 3 weeks. I have generalized anxiety and take meds for it now. I have been reading horror stories of people who had a weight loss procedure that developed worse anxiety or a panic disorder after. Dose anyone have any experience with anxiety worsening after an ESG procedure? I have felt very ready for this procedure until last night when I think my anxiety was getting the best of me. Of course I made the mistake of googling anxiety after weight loss surgery before bed and ready lots of bad things. I pry should not have have done that, lol. I started seeing a therapist about a month ago so I can get ready mentally and emotionally for this, and she seems to think I will be just fine after. I have now started wondering if I should try the balloon or something that is reversible, in case I panic. I would love to hear others experiences. Thanks!

Edited by Anh031921

I have dealt with depression and anxiety my whole life. Prior to surgery, I put a tremendous amount of work into getting into a really good med routine, therapy, learning coping mechanisms and grounding techniques, dealing with the thoughts that were driving my disordered eating behaviors, etc. I think the very best thing you can do is get yourself in the best mental & emotional shape you possibly can. The reality is bariatric surgery is major surgery, it puts tremendous strain on your body and your mind, there are risks and benefits that have to be considered. If you are not quite ready to face the emotions and struggles that come after, then talk to your therapist and decide if now is the right time for surgery. But if you've done the work, have a solid support system, and realize that the only way to make this work for you is to do the hard work, then you're ready and will be just fine. My anxiety has not increased since surgery, but I attribute that to the work I did beforehand and the realization that I've done something that was quite literally life saving for me. It has given me incredible hope. Best of luck to you!

Continue seeing the therapist after surgery, too.

On you and possibly your therapist can answer the question of whether you are ready. I struggle with anxiety and post sleeve it is the same but there are those people who struggle with it post surgery. I would ask the therapist if they feel like you are totally prepared mentally for the surgery and trust their advice as long as you have been 100% honest with them.