Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On October 4 I had gastric bypass, the first few weeks on purée and liquid stage was fine. once I reach soft food, it seem as if I could eat more than I should have. I have message my team and nutrition regarding this and they have told me that as long as I’m losing then I shouldn’t worry.

there has been a few times that I would blank out and binge eat, in the course of doing that I noticed that I don’t have any restriction or discomfort when eating. This already have happened three or four times. Obviously I’m aware that I am a food attic and one of the reasons of me getting the surgery was to restrict the amount of food that I could eat and while choosing healthier options which I have been doing ,but because of weak moments is that I am unable to control myself I end up purging on food that I shouldn’t have.

Just really has been a mental challenge for me and I feel as if my restriction is not there and mentally have to remind myself not to over eat have this happen to anyone? I am posting this because I want advice or any other alternative or things that I could do to improve this I already go to therapy and trying to understand my relationship with food. Sometimes I feel like I made the mistake of having the surgery.

15 minutes ago, Ally_chi said:

On October 4 I had gastric bypass, the first few weeks on purée and liquid stage was fine. once I reach soft food, it seem as if I could eat more than I should have. I have message my team and nutrition regarding this and they have told me that as long as I’m losing then I shouldn’t worry.

there has been a few times that I would blank out and binge eat, in the course of doing that I noticed that I don’t have any restriction or discomfort when eating. This already have happened three or four times. Obviously I’m aware that I am a food attic and one of the reasons of me getting the surgery was to restrict the amount of food that I could eat and while choosing healthier options which I have been doing ,but because of weak moments is that I am unable to control myself I end up purging on food that I shouldn’t have.

Just really has been a mental challenge for me and I feel as if my restriction is not there and mentally have to remind myself not to over eat have this happen to anyone? I am posting this because I want advice or any other alternative or things that I could do to improve this I already go to therapy and trying to understand my relationship with food. Sometimes I feel like I made the mistake of having the surgery.

I’m sorry for what you are going through. It’s concerning that your team isn’t even willing to bring you in for an exam to actually make sure things are medically ok. It appears the only person on your side is your therapist. Maybe you can setup an appointment with your PCP to be checked out. Also instead of therapy once a week maybe for a few weeks or until the holidays are over having therapy two times a week. Try to journaling your thoughts. You don’t have to organize them just keep writing down them. This might help you find what could be triggering your desire to eating. You can bring this to your therapist. I do journaling i don’t do it everyday. Those days I do journal I find it helps me what triggers my bad eating habits. I’m able to bring my journal to my therapist and that’s when the hard work happens to work on turning the bad habits around to something more constructive and positive. I wish you the best and I hope you can get things resolved soon.

Recording honestly what you consume on an app like Baritastic helps to keep one on track. If you binge, you must still record every morsel that crosses your lips. Binging and purging is a serious medical issue. Be sure that your therapist is qualified for that condition.

Have you read "Never Purge Again" by Glenn Livinston? You may find that helpful.
9827118_ScreenShot2021-11-23at3_59_41PM.png.f4aacf353c6b647f3b57692c135180ad.png

You also might benefit from reading a book or two about WLS.
406172225_WLSbasics.jpg.c5291d108b1c660253ce1b69c4bb6437.jpg

Can you describe your binging episode in detail? What food? How much? How long did you take? Did you drink during the episode? How much?

We can binge if we work at it and know how to do it. Some of us just happen on it by accident. It won't look like pre-op but it's possible.

There are ways to prevent thoughtlessly over eating, the same ones even non-ops use. Only put measured portions on your plate and put the rest away before you begin eating. Focus on eating when you are eating.

The surgery can do a lot of the work but in some situations it's still up to us.

ETA: Responding to your thread title, no, you have not ruined your tool. It takes a lot more than three or four binging episodes to affect your pouch. The thing to be careful of is, again, building a bad habit that eventually may.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool
'cuz