Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping for 4 days straight? Need advice.

3 hours ago, Sunnyway said:

Make your own Protein Drinks. You can eliminate the artificial sweetener by using fruit to sweeten the smoothies. Add unflavored Protein Powder.

You HAVE to keep up your Fluid intake or you will be back in the hospital for IV fluids.

Consider the possibility that you have a stricture. Your surgeon should explore this possibility.

Thanks, Sunnyway what do I use for the homemade Protein Shake, liquid, Water? Do you put whole fruit and blend or fruit juice? Sorry for being so food incompetent but I got no nutrition counseling from them. It’s weird that they don’t have one. One guy I went to as part of the selection process I had to do mandatory nutrition classes for a month before he would even consider me, even as a self payer, which I was. I found a bariatric nutritionist on my own who I will start seeing next week.
I am so afraid of eating anything that isn’t clear nasty broth and water but I have to start getting more nutrients, minerals and Vitamins. Thanks for the suggestion!

3 hours ago, HajEddie said:

Do you put whole fruit and blend or fruit juice?

Fruit juice is a no-no for ever more. It is liquid sugar. Use whole fruit and berries in your Protein Shakes. Whole fruits and berries contain Fiber which helps metabolize carbohydrates. Using them eliminates the need for sugar and sugar substitutes. Once you are weaned off sugar and sugar substitutes, fruit will taste remarkably sweet!

There are recipes for home-made Protein Drinks online and in bariatric cookbooks. Here is one from The Bariatric Diet Guide and Cookbook, called "The Elvis":

It makes 12 oz. You will only be able to drink about 1 oz at a time at first. If you don't drink it all in one day, you can save it for the next. I like variety, so I would switch it with other flavors. 12 oz contains 31g Protein, but you can add unflavored Protein Powder. One scoop of GENEPRO unflavored protein powder would add 30 g protein.

1/2 C plain Greek no-fat yogurt
1 large ripe banana
1/2 C ice
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 C natural creamy Peanut Butter
1 small handful baby spinach
Optional: 1 scoop unflavored protein powder

In a high-speed blender, combine all ingredients. Blend for 2 to 5 minutes until smooth)

NOTE: Be sure to use an all-natural peanut butter that contains only Peanuts and salt in the ingredients.

The High Protein Bariatric Cookbook says:

"The basics of a Protein Shake include about 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt, or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tablespoon protein powder and either 1/2 cup frozen fruit or 1 tablespoon nut butter. Then for flavor ad about 1 teaspoon of extract, cocoa powder, and/or flavored sugar-free Syrup or low- to no-calorie sweetener.

...If you make your own protein shakes, the flavor profiles are limitless, and you will know the ingredients going into them. Then, when you have symptoms, it will e easier to identify what the possible cause may be. However, there may be times when a prepackaged protein shake will be more convenient, so do what works for you and hooks you stuck ti tier nutrition goals."

The Lifebridge Health website contains about 30 protein shake recipes. Google "make bariatric protein shakes" to find many more recipes.

Your protein shakes count toward your daily Fluid intake. During the first few weeks of recovery fluid intake is your most important priority. Consume protein as you can.

"You MUST get your fluids in. You SHOULD meet your protein goals. If you CAN, take your vitamins." Matthew Weiner, MD, The Bariatric Diet Guide and Cookbook.

26 minutes ago, Sunnyway said:

1/2 C plain Greek no-fat yogurt
1 large ripe banana
1/2 C ice
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 C natural creamy Peanut Butter
1 small handful baby spinach
Optional: 1 scoop unflavored Protein powde

Thats a hefty amount of cals for that protein shake: 573 calories (not including the optional protein powder)…AND it packs in 24g of sugar and 34g of fat.

See calculations below.

Does that bariatric cookbook really suggest 1/4 cup of Peanut Butter? That seems like alot?

3AC80A2F-1586-4E37-8BBA-14667D1FFB7A.thumb.jpeg.300ff318c09e1f8c11ad921733eb6e7b.jpeg

A9AA3831-5893-45D3-89E2-92F2F48F82BD.thumb.jpeg.900186cce378b32fbf7e0c905b2d7836.jpeg

I agree it seems to be a lot, but remember that in stage 1 this is the only food consumed during the day. The whole idea is to get some nutrition inside the body without too much concern about calories or fats. After a week or two or Liquid Protein, one can be more particular about these things. Protein and fluids first!

Make sure that Peanut Butter has NO ADDED SUGAR.

Even still, that's not enough volume for 1 day even the day after surgery.

You could edit this recipe down and use, say, 1/4 cup of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) in place of the Peanut Butter and knock 250 cal, 9g fat and 4g carb off that somewhat alarming number. You'd lose 4g Protein, but it's worth it for the trade-out.

Thanks Sunnyway, I think that might be a bit hefty for the intestines at the moment but it sounds absolutely delicious and once I am recovered from what ever this fast moving intestinal thing is I will try that. I tried some vegetable broth last night and this morning it’s back to where I began on Sunday. I was so angry this morning I called my doctors office and said “ look this is not a gastrointestinal infection, I went to the doctor this is surgery related” I need to see the doctor. They said they would call me back.. I don’t know what is up with this office they have blowing people off down to a science. I’m trying not to take the Loperamide which slows everything down but if I don’t everything just passes through almost immediately. I’m starting to get rather sad. I’ve lost so much weight in 8 days it’s insane. I know that is the goal but this is not healthy. I went from 225 last Wednesday surgery day, to 205 today. I’m gonna do some more research and see if I can find out anything about what is happening, although I’m not completely sure what is happening!!!! Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.

6 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

Even still, that's not enough volume for 1 day even the day after surgery.

You could edit this recipe down and use, say, 1/4 cup of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) in place of the Peanut Butter and knock 250 cal, 9g fat and 4g carb off that somewhat alarming number. You'd lose 4g Protein, but it's worth it for the trade-out.

One assumes that the user will be drinking as much Water as they can tolerate in addition to Protein shakes..

I agree, powdered PB2 could be substituted, but there really is no need to reduce calories during the first couple of weeks after surgery. Later on, yes.

(BTW, I did not create this recipe, I copied it from The Bariatric Guide and Cook Book as an example of how one could make their own protein shakes._)

I downloaded the cookbook mentioned to my kindle. The recipes look really good. The shake recipes make more than one serving for a person in the early post op stage. The store bought shakes have a lot of artificial sweeteners and flavoring. Making your own sounds better for you once you can tolerate the ingredients.

33 minutes ago, ymn said:

I downloaded the cookbook mentioned to my kindle. The recipes look really good. The shake recipes make more than one serving for a person in the early post op stage. The store bought shakes have a lot of artificial sweeteners and flavoring. Making your own sounds better for you once you can tolerate the ingredients.

Yes, that baffled me at first, when we can only drink 1-2 oz at a time in the beginning. However, one could consume much of the recipe over the course of a day. I'd probably want to alternate different shakes so that I wouldn't get bored. They should store well in the refrigerator. Later, one can drink more at a time. The calorie count is high, but for a whole day's worth, it's not unreasonable. I wouldn't drink them as smoothies, but as Protein drinks they meet the bill for sustenance.

I’m not sure how long you’re on Clear Liquids for (I left the hospital on full liquids) but if they haven’t really given you nutrition advice and are blowing you off the full liquids might help- milk, yogurt, creamy Soup bases, … anything that when left at room temperature becomes liquid. The yogurt might help with the Probiotics it offers in making your stomach/intestinal issues calm down.

Hopefully you’re feeling better soon.

Thanks Starwarsandcupcakes, interesting that I am attempting to eat my first yogurt right now. I tried a bariatric shake with fat free Lactaid free milk and nope not good. Hope this yogurt settles nicely. Please accept this yogurt o sleeve of mine, and pass to your friend the small intestine slowly!

I use the Baritastic App and I just recalled the recipes on the app. There are several for home-made Protein Shakes that use cottage cheese and non-flavored Protein powder, and no artificial sweeteners.

Hope you're feeling better now and have found some things that your sleeve will accept. It's tough at first but gets better :)

Thanks Star618, unfortunately I am still having pretty severe gastrointestinal issues. And visiting the bathroom A LOT. It almost doesn’t matter what I try to eat. Clear liquids, semi clear, yogurt, cottage cheese. This Wednesday I am supposed to be moving into the semi solid stage but am still stuck between phase 1-2. I know there is NO WAY I am getting adequate nutrition because it just goes right through me. I have patch Vitamins which have been great. I tried taking a bariatric Vitamin yesterday and for the first time I got slightly nauseous and had to run to the bathroom. My appointment with a gastroenterologist isn’t until Nov 6th. That’s a long time to wait in this state. My regular surgeon again won’t see me and just said to modify my diet. I have done so much research on uncommon side effects of the sleeve but nothing jumps out that is similar to what I’m experiencing.

You should probably go to an emergency room since it could be a serious problem and you can’t get a timely appointment.