Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey There! Any December 2021 Surgery Friends?

December 10! I’m doing it at the hospital i work at even though I’ve only told 3 coworkers.

On 11/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, Northfilly17 said:

My surgery is December 17th in Mexico at OCC( Obesity Control Center ). I have been reading a lot on here and I'm noticing a lot of variances as to when people start their liquid diets. I was instructed liquid diet for 2 days prior to surgery but some of you are on the liquid for up to a month..... SHeesh!! Anyone know why?

My doctor said it was about the liver, I have a verified fatty liver via CT scan and enzyme levels (previously done by primary).

I’m required to do a 10 day preop liquid diet. I have a coworker who is about 150 pounds heavier than me and she had to do a much longer liquid diet preop. They’re hope was significant weight loss and liver shrinkage.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:08 PM, MarahH said:

Yes 12/10 🙌I’m super excited and nervous currently on day 3 of the 3 week liquid diet

Surgery twins! Me in NJ. I start liquids only Dec 3rd. It’s crazy how everyone has such varying liquid diet time frames.

On 11/21/2021 at 11:03 PM, Angelina1210 said:

Me too! I’m December 10th! ☺️

My other surgery date twin 🙌. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Maymay21 said:

My doctor said it was about the liver, I have a verified fatty liver via CT scan and enzyme levels (previously done by primary).

I’m required to do a 10 day preop liquid diet. I have a coworker who is about 150 pounds heavier than me and she had to do a much longer liquid diet preop. They’re hope was significant weight loss and liver shrinkage.

This is all so interesting. I start a 2 weeks Protein shake/clear fluids only diet tomorrow. I don't have fatty liver. I have 80-100# to lose. I'd be interested to hear other peoples' stats just because it'd be nice to find some pattern or reasoning for all the differences in everyone's diets.

14 minutes ago, NewbieNewMe said:

I’m getting surgery done 12/6 & I’m so nervous & scared makes me want to not get it 😩

I felt just like you a month ago!!! Now, for some reason, I'm trusting my (invisible) surgeon will be apt, prepared, astute, and experienced, and will do wonders for me. I've fully realized the why's for my going forward with this despite the risks, and those why's are all very important. All the naysayers in my life and no good--maybe you have some of those people, too. I encourage you to write down your fears/worries, the ongoing never ending problems that led you to this surgical decision, and how your life can be forever altered for the better --meaning a better you, not just a thinner you! It's a major surgery, a total lifestyle change, and a banishment from food addiction. You can finally be the real you! I will be thinking about you on the 6th. That's the day I go in for my pre-surg anesthesia eval. Please keep me posted on how you're doing, and feel free to message me if you're feeling worried/scared, or just want to chat. I start my all liquid 2 week pre-op diet tomorrow. I'm actually excited!

Mine is Dec. 15! We can think of this as a Christmas present to ourselves--if that's not too un-PC.

@LadyH that’s exactly what I said it would be a Xmas gift to myself lol & I think I’m scared because of honestly Did all the exams & everything came out great I’m literally healthy overall I’m just overweight my BMI is 39 I’m 5’6 even though all the other docs I had to go through told me I don’t look fat & don’t see why to do it my weight says it all lol I have two kids trying to live long for them

12 hours ago, LadyH said:

This is all so interesting. I start a 2 weeks Protein shake/clear fluids only diet tomorrow. I don't have fatty liver. I have 80-100# to lose. I'd be interested to hear other peoples' stats just because it'd be nice to find some pattern or reasoning for all the differences in everyone's diets.

One thing I can tell you from my very experience is, you can have 20 physicians in a room and still won't find 2 to agree on anything. So evidence shows that to decrease the size of the liver, there is no consensus on how long the diet should go on for. With bypass, given they have to access the gastro-esophageal junction which the left lobe of the liver can obscure, this will definitely warrant a diet of longer duration. In the paper I read, generally the longer the diet the more shrinkage, however... A greater decrease in size was noted with higher Protein diets. Also you risk being in a catabolic state (this is not good for healing) if you are on these low calorie liquid diets for too long.

All this to say, some surgeons change their practices to reflect the evidence. Some were just trained a certain way and stuck with it.

Im on a week long diet and my BMI is 41

Edited by NikoNiko

I only have/had 80 pounds to loose I have been on the liquid diet for a week now and already lost 10 pounds. My surgery isn’t until December 22. I have been starving for a week where my hubby can hear my tummy growling and my blood sugars are in the mid 200s with medication! I meet with my dietician in the morning. I am hoping she will shed some light on what more I can do. I’m only allowed 2 Protein Shakes a day also. Anyone else starving? If so what do you do that helps?