Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Meds after Gastric Bypass



Recommended Posts

I've been taking Wellbutrin for years and post-surgery it works just as well as it did before at the same dosage.

But I also take Xanax (anti-anxiety) and after losing 105 lbs. I found that the dosage had to be reduced because it was now having a stronger, more sedating effect. I'm now at an optimal dosage though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to switch one of my psych meds from extended release to immediate release after my bypass. Fortunately, I didn’t notice any difference in effectiveness after the switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an appt with my Dr. next week to discuss this exact question. I take Prozac and have been very stable for a while, so I'm nervous about impact from surgery (9/21). From what I've researched, and as others have said, the biggest issues seem to arise from extended/delayed release meds and the dosage of rescue meds. Neither of those apply to me, but I want to have a game plan in place, just in case. As with many things, its likely to be highly variable from person to person, so having a convo with your doctor ahead of time, being prepared, and really being mindful of your mental health post-op are all great strategies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kenda0928 said:

I have an appt with my Dr. next week to discuss this exact question. I take Prozac and have been very stable for a while, so I'm nervous about impact from surgery (9/21). From what I've researched, and as others have said, the biggest issues seem to arise from extended/delayed release meds and the dosage of rescue meds. Neither of those apply to me, but I want to have a game plan in place, just in case. As with many things, its likely to be highly variable from person to person, so having a convo with your doctor ahead of time, being prepared, and really being mindful of your mental health post-op are all great strategies.

@Kenda0928 I could not agree more to you le statement. Thank you for your feedback I helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Prestonandme said:

I've been taking Wellbutrin for years and post-surgery it works just as well as it did before at the same dosage.

But I also take Xanax (anti-anxiety) and after losing 105 lbs. I found that the dosage had to be reduced because it was now having a stronger, more sedating effect. I'm now at an optimal dosage though.

@Prestonandme really Interesting 🧐 everyone’s body is different. Thank you so much for taking out of your time and sharing you experience and congratulations on your 105 pounds loss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've already discussed this with my therapist that prescribes Webutrin XL. She says that most XL medications are switched to regular release and I can take two smaller doses 2x a day, instead of the one XL in the morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, crpowers said:

I've already discussed this with my therapist that prescribes Webutrin XL. She says that most XL medications are switched to regular release and I can take two smaller doses 2x a day, instead of the one XL in the morning.

@crpowers thank you for your reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have VERY SEVERE bipolar so this was a huge concern for me. To the point that I did sleeve anyways but I did not find this community until a day or two pre surgery and I did not get the feedback that I have seen since then.
One thing I did do, which you may consider to help ease some anxiety, is to go ahead and try another combination of meds NOW. Pre-surgery. One of my meds needed 350 calories to absorb fully so I knew it may not work as well post surgery so while I was waiting my 6 months anyways I tried another medication. (I also started the immediate release version of my Wellbutrin because extended release meds seem to cause the most issues just so I knew other than taking it twice a day it was no different). For me, Just knowing that there was in fact another medication combination that worked for me allowed me to go into surgery with a lot less fear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I actually just registered this very moment b/c I wanted to reply to you. I've been reading these boards for a few months and these people have the most valuable information, experience and research!

To be completely candid, I have bipolar type 2 and anxiety, with a sprinkling of insomnia on top. I take different meds to help with all these issues, and after extensive research in the form of white papers, speaking with doctors and pharmacists, as well as my own, albeit short, experience (I'm just about 4 weeks post-op) I was only concerned about the bipolar medicine, Depakote Delayed Release 500mg tablets.

I maintained my PRN anti-anxiety and insomnia meds as these are immediate release, and I can report they have worked well for me in the past few weeks since my surgery. I did get switched over to the oral liquid form of the Depakote, however; Valproic Acid Oral Solution 250mg/5ml. I have to take it 3x a day to get the dose I was getting before with the DR tabs, but I had my bloodwork done last week and my serum levels are actually higher than they were on the tabs, so I may be able to come down a bit on the dose after a few months (I want to be sure, as I know I'm still in early recovery and only time will tell.)

I think you are doing the right thing by asking questions. Definitely speak with your surgeon, and prescribing physician as my surgeon didn't really have the first clue about the Bipolar med. Maybe even talk to your pharmacist if you feel comfortable with that. I made sure to have my script filled prior to my surgery date so it would be waiting at home for me after discharge. Good thing too b/c the hospital was out of the liquid form and I would have been out-of-luck.

I'd be happy to talk more if you like. Hope everything goes well for you. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, boogie2dope said:

Hey, I actually just registered this very moment b/c I wanted to reply to you. I've been reading these boards for a few months and these people have the most valuable information, experience and research!

To be completely candid, I have bipolar type 2 and anxiety, with a sprinkling of insomnia on top. I take different meds to help with all these issues, and after extensive research in the form of white papers, speaking with doctors and pharmacists, as well as my own, albeit short, experience (I'm just about 4 weeks post-op) I was only concerned about the bipolar medicine, Depakote Delayed Release 500mg tablets.

I maintained my PRN anti-anxiety and insomnia meds as these are immediate release, and I can report they have worked well for me in the past few weeks since my surgery. I did get switched over to the oral liquid form of the Depakote, however; Valproic Acid Oral Solution 250mg/5ml. I have to take it 3x a day to get the dose I was getting before with the DR tabs, but I had my bloodwork done last week and my serum levels are actually higher than they were on the tabs, so I may be able to come down a bit on the dose after a few months (I want to be sure, as I know I'm still in early recovery and only time will tell.)

I think you are doing the right thing by asking questions. Definitely speak with your surgeon, and prescribing physician as my surgeon didn't really have the first clue about the Bipolar med. Maybe even talk to your pharmacist if you feel comfortable with that. I made sure to have my script filled prior to my surgery date so it would be waiting at home for me after discharge. Good thing too b/c the hospital was out of the liquid form and I would have been out-of-luck.

I'd be happy to talk more if you like. Hope everything goes well for you. :)

@boogie2dope I can appreciate the fact you took out of your time to redact and provide feedback. Thank you very much the sentiment is reciprocated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took Nefazodone, an atypical antidepressant, worked fine. I also took extended release generic Xanax. I had to switch to regular. It was an adjustment but manageable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just spoke to my psychiatrist and she put me on standard (not immediate) release bupropion (Wellbutrin) in advance of my surgery next week (AAAAAAA NEXT WEEK). I'm a bit nervous about it. But since so much of my depression is bound up in my weight, I'm hoping to be able to titrate down a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, vikingbeast said:

I just spoke to my psychiatrist and she put me on standard (not immediate) release bupropion (Wellbutrin) in advance of my surgery next week (AAAAAAA NEXT WEEK). I'm a bit nervous about it. But since so much of my depression is bound up in my weight, I'm hoping to be able to titrate down a bit.

Good luck with your surgery! You'll do amazing!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, JessLess said:

I took Nefazodone, an atypical antidepressant, worked fine. I also took extended release generic Xanax. I had to switch to regular. It was an adjustment but manageable.

@JessLess that is good to know thank you for sharing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Debbie Nichols

      No plans for surgery 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • amazingmimi

      I feel like I've finally gotten past the biggest hurdle. Surgery date is September 6th, the day after Labor Day, and yesterday I got my insurance approval letter. I've followed everything they've told me to do, and I've even lost 30 lbs on my own since hubby had to change his diet for diabetes. No worries now about having to do 4 weeks of the liver shrinking diet instead of 2. On my initial visit, if I had gained just 5lbs I would have had to do 4 weeks. It's getting closer. Just 2 more months to wait.
      · 1 reply
      1. NmMd

        Although the prep work took energy, I found the biggest hurdle was post-operative. The first 48 hrs were extremely uncomfortable. I did an overnight and trying to down the liquids, Tylenol, and especially the barium was rough. Thankfully though, I got away with only having to have 1 belly injection after surgery. Needless are not my thing.

    • Grace1234

      I am brand new to this my surgery is tentative for July 27 depending on insurance and I'll be have the Gastric Sleeve.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pepper1

      I am looking for people to connect with that are 4-5 years out. Many of the support sights I go to are all newbies. And while I enjoyed that when i first had my surgery and found it useful, I am looking to exchange ideas with folks that are out a few years. I am slowly gaining weight back and losing my excitement. I don't want that!
      · 1 reply
      1. SleeverSk

        Maybe post in the forums. It's a more active areaI have noticed no one replies to status updates

    • SuziDavis

      I have a surgery date! I am getting sleeved on 8/17/2022!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×