Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ignorance

It's not so much that they didn't read labels but that they didn't really understand what my dietary needs were. They kept saying I should eat salad and vegetables because they were low in calories, whereas I needed to prioritize Protein. It was frustrating when other people thought they knew better than I did what I should and shouldn't be eating.

Unfortunately, I have 3 grandkids, my husband and my son and DIL who live in the house and eat MANY things that I can't/won't have. LOL I don't expect them to change their own eating habits for me. They're all healthy. And with me being home all the time there isn't a time to do it/save it for when I'm not home either.

I made a choice back in March to start eating better (to get ready for surgery and my new life) regardless of whether or not my hubby joined me. However, he too started eating low carb/no sugar and also eats whatever I make and eat for myself. BUT, he does still sometimes eat Snacks and stuff that I don't and I'm totally fine with it. I feel I have more willpower and control now than I ever have before. I think that takes time.

Um, yes? But the only thing that bothers me is most of what they eat has wheat in it and I developed a wheat allergy after surgery so when they make a mess and don't clean it up I complain because if I am forced to clean up after them I'll end up with giant rashes due to my allergy. It gets really irritating! I'm actually surprised that I don't feel like cheating most of the time. I mean, yeah, the fact that they buy chocolate and keep it in candy dishes makes me always grab at least two of them a day when they're there (85 calories for those tiny little chocolates) but I fit them into my diet so I don't feel like it's cheating (I'm almost 19 month out so my diet is a lot more lax then someone just starting out).

3 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

Um, yes? But the only thing that bothers me is most of what they eat has wheat in it and I developed a wheat allergy after surgery so when they make a mess and don't clean it up I complain because if I am forced to clean up after them I'll end up with giant rashes due to my allergy. It gets really irritating! I'm actually surprised that I don't feel like cheating most of the time. I mean, yeah, the fact that they buy chocolate and keep it in candy dishes makes me always grab at least two of them a day when they're there (85 calories for those tiny little chocolates) but I fit them into my diet so I don't feel like it's cheating (I'm almost 19 month out so my diet is a lot more lax then someone just starting out).

You are doing so well, I hope that I can follow in your footsteps

I got offered a donut - 5 days after surgery. I told the person are you nuts and don’t ever do it again. (It was a relative)

Fortunately I’m fine being around food. It’s not a trigger. I stick to my plan.

2 hours ago, MistySkye said:

I got offered a donut - 5 days after surgery. I told the person are you nuts and don’t ever do it again. (It was a relative)

Fortunately I’m fine being around food. It’s not a trigger. I stick to my plan.

I hope that happened because they were naive to your diet and not mean spirited.

Ultimately, it's no one's job but yours to figure out the best stuff to put in your body.

People will always eat awful stuff because it's readily available and tastes good. People will equate offering food with offering affection, support, etc. (even though for someone trying to lose weight, this is backwards and crazy...it's just habit and they don't think about it) For some people it's a manners thing...I can't eat in front of someone else without offering to share, regardless of what I'm eating. Doen't matter if I'm eating a protien bar or a donut...if you're hanging out with me and I think you might be hungry...I'll offer you half. You can always say no.

Sometimes, I make a mindful decision to eat junk food. I budget for it in my daily calories and I like proving to myself that I control food and food doesn't control me anymore.

I like eating junk now, because I don't enjoy it as much as I used to and I don't feel out of control. I know that sounds crazy....but seriously...there is a satisfying victory in consuming 200 calories of something I used to be totally out of control with...and go...you know what? That's good, but I can take it or leave it now. I LOVE that I can take it or leave it now. And I really love that I'm being dead honest about that, because I have spent a lifetime lying to myself about food. I very honestly am not as reactive about food as I used to be...and that's a HUGE victory.

Yep, I still like fat, sugar and salt. Most people do. But I can take them or leave them, and I can budget a sensible serving and not have my nutrition day ruined. I credit part of that to revamping my eating habits and microbiota due to the surgery, and part to food addiction work with my bariatric therapist. Both have been incredibly important.

I “like” eating junk too. I have a party sized bag of peanut m&ms just sitting here. Over the course of a day I’ll probably have a handful. In the past I could mow through that whole bag in a day (yeah I know). My wife is concerned every time the scale drops a pound now and though I feel like I probably have another 15-20lbs I could lose she (and my mom uhg) are worried I’m too skinny (I’m not, 192 @ 6’4” is at the top of the healthy BMI range (BMI is garbage but I agree with it in this circumstance just by looking at me (I need to chill with parentheticals))) so they are keeping me fed… but you’re right, it’s very very empowering to look at a sleeve of Oreos and have two (gotta take off one cookie top each and smoosh two double stuffs together for a quad stuff…. I’m not Amish) and be happy with that.

There are some foods I’ve just had to tel myself they aren’t for me anymore. Not even a bite, not even once. So my kids and husband still have candy and crackers and things like that around, they eat them in front of me, and that’s fine. They are all healthy weights and that works for them. It wouldn’t work for me. I had surgery, I am making changes for me, and that’s on me to handle