Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss somewhat easier once I made the decision

I don't know why, but suddenly, since I made the decision to pursue VSG, weight loss is becoming easier. I haven't changed my diet too much, I don't think—I still eat a variety of food—but yesterday I put on a smaller size jeans and they buttoned with no tugging, and today at the gym I had to cinch my weight belt in another notch before doing strict presses.

Reduction in stress corresponding to a reduction in cortisol? Unconsciously starting to wind down my overconsumption? Psychosomatic? sleeping better? My body anxious to "repair" itself? I don't know which of those it is, but I'm not going to complain about it!

Maybe you’re being more mindful because you know what awaits on the other side .. I too was losing weight more than usual. Granted I made adjustments like less bread, healthier swaps etc but I was just excited and more on it because i knew what was to come

Idk what it is but whatever it is I hope it keeps up for you. 👍

Honeymoon glow. Ride it all you can, lose as much weight as you can, work hard to change your eating habits. Eventually, your old habits will come a knocking...be it in a few months or a few years....but working on these healthy changes is absolute key to longterm success. Great work! Keep at it!

Edited by Creekimp13

As soon as I called the surgery center I became totally determined and I started counting calories again, and reduced carbs and increased Protein. It's been the easiest time ever to lose weight, I'm way less hungry with more protein and less sugar/carbs. I've lost more than 45 lbs, to the point where if I lost much more I wouldn't qualify for surgery. But the surgery center says they have put a weight in for my insurance so now I can keep losing weight.

8 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

As soon as I called the surgery center I became totally determined and I started counting calories again, and reduced carbs and increased Protein. It's been the easiest time ever to lose weight, I'm way less hungry with more Protein and less sugar/carbs. I've lost more than 45 lbs, to the point where if I lost much more I wouldn't qualify for surgery. But the surgery center says they have put a weight in for my insurance so now I can keep losing weight.

You are doing so well. Congratulations.

I though at first that this was just coincidence for you but just remembered that my walking that I do almost everyday I did for a couple months before surgery and I did so well at it during those couple months. Never did less than 30 minutes and often did more. I think it’s like a spurt of energy and hopefulness we get when we know surgery is coming.

I had that happen where I dropped some weight once I made the call…and then my surgery got delayed a month due to Covid surge cancelling surgeries and I ended up 4lbs over the weight I was when I originally called 🤪

On 8/12/2021 at 4:03 PM, Ashley_vsg_2021 said:

Maybe you’re being more mindful because you know what awaits on the other side .. I too was losing weight more than usual. Granted I made adjustments like less bread, healthier swaps etc but I was just excited and more on it because i knew what was to come

I think this is exactly what it is...being more mindful of what you are eating. I am seeing the same thing. I lost 20 pounds in the last couple weeks just for tracking my calories, setting a 800 calorie limit, walking more and totally taking bread out of my diet which is the most difficult thing for me because I LOVE bread. Being Italian, we east bread with just about everything. I have thought that if I can do this by myself, why not just keep it going, but I know I will drift off the plan and end up putting it back on if I do not have the assist of the sleeve long term.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, vikingbeast said:

Reduction in stress corresponding to a reduction in cortisol?

There are actually quite a few studies focused on the relationship of stress & anxiety and weight loss/gain.

At a very elementary level, feelings of stress correspond with heightened levels of cortisol which in turn has a positive relationship with insulin levels and negative relationship with blood sugar levels…which may cause you to crave sugary, fatty foods. Further, stress can affect sleep patterns, which has shown to also affect weight loss/gain.

In short: RELAX. Its good for your mind and body.

Congratulations on the weight loss and the achievement of relative peace! ❤️ Keep it up and you’ll do wonderfully!