Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pilates and Figure 8 Workouts - Do They Work?

Hi everyone,

I really want to start up Pilates that I can do from home and I also love dancing so was wondering if you have any favorite Pilates or dancing programs/dvds that you love and have seen good results from?

I’ve seen so many adds for Figure 8 workouts but just don’t know if they would be good for a beginner like me so please let me know what you think or if you have found better alternatives.

Thanks in advance :)

I don't know what figure 8 workouts are (never even heard of them - Are they maybe an Australian thing? For all I know they could be really popular in the US, but I'm sort of out of touch with trends!) but for Pilates, it depends on what your goal is. It is great for strengthening your core, which is important especially as you get older (no idea how old you are) for balance, but really at every age. However, it's not really that helpful for losing weight. I did one Pilates class a few years ago and I found it really too hard for me, but if you were watching a video, you could stop when you got tired. I'm sure you could find something on YouTube for "Pilates for Beginners".

Dancing is better for weight loss, especially high energy dancing things like Zumba. I'm not sure if you meant that or more things like ballet. I have found a lot of easy dance exercise videos for free on YouTube. I find Zumba too hard for me, because I'm super uncoordinated and out of shape, but it might be something you can do. I just do these 15 minute dance exercise videos (I don't remember the exact name, I just search "dance exercise"). I bet you could find ballet exercise if you searched for that.

I hope you find something you enjoy!

Thanks @lizonaplane, Zumba is a great idea. I’m in my early 40’s and want to strengthen my core, tone and get some flexibility back, which is what I was hoping Pilates might help with.

I really like Zumba. But on days when I'm feeling not quite as energetic, I usually find one of those walking videos instead. I'm currently hooked on "Reps to the Rhythm" (on youtube). His are more of a cross between a walking video and a dance video, IMHO. I like the music - and he has cats that often walk by the screen while he's dancing/walking....kind of adds to the whole thing.

Thanks @catwoman7, I’ll have to check that one out.

There are also game systems that have interactive dance games that are pretty cool. I used to have one with PlayStation. I can’t remember the name of it but it was lots of fun and there are levels from beginner. Your post made me think of it. Not sure which game system he has now but I think I am gonna ask hubby to get it all set up for me again.

Okay so I just asked him about it and he said that he moved the game system to garage so we will have to look into investing In a second console but I put tv on you tube and searched for Zumba after reading all this and the beginner one isn’t bad. It seems like it could be fun as long as i am home alone. Im not very coordinated. Lol.

@ShoppGirl let me know how you with the game console, my hubby has a PlayStation too, already in the lounge room.

I’ll have to give Zumba a go, sounds like a lot of fun :) Thanks

Okay so my husband said it was x box that we used to have with that game and he ordered an older one on eBay today for like 100 bucks with the game and the camera thing you need to make it work. (I was just reading with the newer version of the same game you can use your smartphone with an app to score you though instead of needing the camera which sounds cool and is obviously cheaper). I just googled it and I’m pretty sure it was the game called “just dance” which it looks like they have for PlayStation too. Anyways, I will keep you guys posted about it when it gets here and he gets it working. I’m so excited. I remember it was super fun.

Thanks so much @ShoppGirl I will definitely check it out :)

Update. I am just so excited and looking forward to this dance game so tell me if I’m sharing too much. Lol. I just called game stop and found out that they also have a country, hip hop, Grease, Disney and kids edition of the game. I ordered the regular just dance I used to have and the country edition to start (I WILL be driving my hubby insane with the country music, but I was always better at following along with line dancing and I’m thinking it may be a little slower pace to start). It says that the console won’t be here until the 20th and we have to take the tv off the wall to hook up the camera (with the newer consoles you can use your smartphone and skip this step) so it will be a bit before I get to play but I watched videos on you tube and I am like a kid waiting for Xmas at this point. Just saying 😆

That’s awesome @ShoppGirl, I feel excited for you 😂