Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start eating salads again?? I have been craving a salad for weeks. Just a plain old house salad. My dr suggests patients wait for 3 months and start with shredded lettuce. You guys; I just want a salad! 😔

I tried a salad a about 6 weeks.

Things to keep in mind: Don't let salad fill you up and take the place of needed Protein. Chew VERY well. Lettuce isn't something we're used to chewing.

I’m 6.5 weeks post op and have been wanting a salad since day one. I may tempt a few bites this weekend just to satisfy the craving.

I was allowed after the 6 week mark, not really a salad person. Had shredded lettuce on chicken fajitas (just chicken with fajita seasoning) last week and had no issues. In general I have not ate anything thus far that has disagreed with me.

It might be easier to chew romaine lettuce than, say, butter lettuce or green leaf lettuce.

2 hours ago, MistySkye said:

I was allowed after the 6 week mark, not really a salad person. Had shredded lettuce on chicken fajitas (just chicken with fajita seasoning) last week and had no issues. In general I have not ate anything thus far that has disagreed with me.

I have been lucky in that aspect as well. Knock on wood.

57 minutes ago, vikingbeast said:

It might be easier to chew romaine lettuce than, say, butter lettuce or green leaf lettuce.

Never tried butter lettuce. Usually romaine or iceberg. Will def try romaine first to round.

I waited until I was almost three months out. Lettuce can be an issue for some of us. I didn’t have any issues though.

They sell chopped romaine lettuce. That’s what I had without issue.

Actually I can’t remember exactly when I first ate lettuce but I do remember eating cucumber towards the end of month 2. Cooked with Tomato, celery, mushrooms, etc from purée. I think it was around the 3 or 4 month mark.

I’d probably tread carefully with coarser leaf salad greens - they can be too dry & cause discomfort. And of cause watch any salad dressings you use. As with anything check your plan & if it’s ok go slowly. You can only try.

Personally I eat a heap of iceberg lettuce (cups of the stuff every day) - think it’s a bit of a slider for me. Plus it’s full of Water so great for hydration.

I had my first cucumber and Tomato this week. Absolutely delicious lol So thankful to finally be on regular foods.

I was a few months out before I started eating salads. Raw vegetables can be irritating on healing stomachs - but you'll eventually be able to eat them again.

I waited until after 5-6 months until I ate raw vegetables and salad. Coleslaw seems to be the best for me but only about 2-4 tablespoons. I am also a big salad lover but use the chopped romaine and only about 1/2 a cup because I want to make certain that my Protein comes first. I also only use one type of Salad Dressing and only need a tablespoon with the small amount of lettuce (litehouse thousand Island). Everything else tastes funny to me.

With the fresh salad bars now opened, I carefully make my choices and add extra protein. With my purchase from Lunds & Byerlys I can eat 4 meals from it. I do not add salad dressing until I come home. As with many here, there are just days that salads taste so good. 🥗

On 07/30/2021 at 12:29, Maisey said:

I tried a salad a about 6 weeks.

Things to keep in mind: Don't let salad fill you up and take the place of needed Protein. Chew VERY well. Lettuce isn't something we're used to chewing.

Agree with this. I’ve been fine on salads around the same mark and raw veggies in general. Some people can’t tolerate at all until many months later. They tend to fill me up quickly so I’ll eat the majority of my Protein on the salad first, then the greens after.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:54 AM, Gamma98 said:

When did you start eating salads again?? I have been craving a salad for weeks. Just a plain old house salad. My dr suggests patients wait for 3 months and start with shredded lettuce. You guys; I just want a salad! 😔

I had a salad 1.5 months after my surgery. Not good. Felt the pain. So I just ate the black Beans, corn, tomatoes and cheese.