Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what’s with the dry mouth thing?

While taking a breather on a bush walk, my friend, also a sleever, asked me this question. I actually was glad it wasn’t just me but neither of us had any idea why we sometime woke during the night with a painfully dry mouth.

Not thirsty just awfully dry mouth. The discomfort actually wakes us. We both thought it was because we were sleeping with our mouths like just hanging open but not breathing through our mouths. We both hold mouthfuls of Water trying to rehydrate our mouths.

Are we alone in this? Any ideas why?

Is it because we don’t have fat necks anymore which maybe kept our mouths propped close?

Edited by Arabesque

Wish I could comment, but I don't have this issue. Interesting that you both do, though...I'm sure others must!

Your post did, however, make me giggle enough to startle the cat. Enjoyed it.

I don't think it's the fat neck thing, because I have had dry mouth at my heaviest weights. For me, it's from medications. I think there are lots of causes of dry mouth.

I have it as well, and it was starting to affect my teeth. Dry mouth can definitely cause tooth issues (and so can acid). I came to the conclusion it was the PPI I'd started taking again about a year ago, because those can definitely cause dry mouth (and so can a lot of other medications). I cut my dosage in half and filled in when necessary with an over-the-the counter magnesium-based antacid (just when needed), and I can already tell that has really helped. Luckily, I think I nipped it in the bud before it got bad.

if it's not one of your meds, then try to combat it with various over-the-counter treatments. I was using mouthwash for dry mouth, and had sprays, lozenges, and gels handy (don't have to use them anymore, though - as halving my meds seemed to solve the problem for me). Also, gum or breath mints with xylitol help, too (although xylitol can cause G/I issues in some people - fortunately, it doesn't for me..)

Lol…i dunno about the fat neck theory, i have dry mouth now, but it was waaaaaaay worse when I was bigger.

I have a bottle of Biotine (an oral spray) on my nightstand and use it before I go to bed and when I wake up… it helps.

I forgot to mention - my dentist gave me a prescription toothpaste that's for dry mouth. I think that's helped, too...(I think Biotine makes an OTC toothpaste for dry mouth, too)

Well, I’m glad we’re not the only ones but it mustn’t be very common & it’s still very weird. Neither my friend nor I ever experienced it before and it doesn’t happen often - go for weeks between episodes.

I’ve taken esomeprazole for years though of course not as frequently as now but when I used to take it I took twice the dose I do now. I don’t think my friend takes it at all - will ask her. Apart from the esomeprazole, I only take HRT & again been doing so for years.

Will look at getting some Biotine or similar to keep beside my bed.

Bit wary about toothpastes at the moment cause I got a terrible ulcer sore thing on my tongue apparently from the sulphites in the charcoal toothpaste I was using. Owww! The acid thing is a worry too @catwoman7. I’m a twice a year dentist girl & got him to specifically look for any early acid damage my last visit. He found nothing & teeth & gums were very healthy - gold star. Hope it continues. 🤞🏻

Always appreciate your advice ladies. 😁

Edited by Arabesque

Are either of you diabetic? Because diabetes or undiagnosed diabetes rather can cause dehydration. Blood sugar levels could be the result of having such a dry mouth aka lack of saliva.

I went through a bout about 3 months before surgery where out of nowhere I was really dehydrated. In the sense my mouth was really dry and no matter how much I drank it didn't feel like I could keep saliva in my mouth. I got an infection and ended up at the clinic and the doctor just randomly decided to test my blood sugar levels. I was at 26.8 on the meter. So newly diagnosed diabetic type 2 after some blood tests. My mouth seemed to have been less dry and I wasn't drinking 10 cups a Water a day and peeing 8 times a day the month before surgery.

But since being post-op the past week my mouth is back to being dry again. Much like you I find it's worse at night and had the same idea. Maybe I'm sleeping with my mouth open. My blood sugar levels are still high for a normal human ranging from 8-10.5. So I have no idea if it's the diabetes or the surgery or a little of both. I do know the dry mouth makes my teeth feel sticky sometimes when I press my tongue against them. The top of my mouth feels strange too when it happens and I feel like my taste is off. It could be all psychological but it's very frustrating knowing something should taste good normally but as I'm drinking it its off or just kinda blah.

Nope not diabetic @johnm so that’s why it was never a consideration as a possible cause for either of us. Plus it happens so randomly.

I hope they can help you manage your sugar levels. How long post surgery are you? Your taste buds can go a haywire for a while after surgery & I found Protein Shakes made my teeth revoltingly grainy - I was always having to brush my teeth. So if you’re not long post surgery that could be contributing to how things taste & feel for you. It does pass & get better.

I just read in the pre-surgery packet they gave me that surgery causes a change in saliva that can cause dry mouth. That's why dental hygiene is so important after surgery.

When I was on omeprazole I had terrible dry mouth. I used these tablets called Xylimelts that you stick on your gum at night. They contain xylitol and melt very slowly overnight. Walgreens has a knock off version but they didn’t work as well for me.

So, it’s most likely a menopausal side effect. A non wls friend experiences the same thing. She calls it mummy mouth - the petrified dusty Egyptian kind.

Seems the saliva glands start to produce less saliva during menopause. Great another thing drying out! Sigh. Becoming the ubiquitous menopausal dried up prune.

I only experienced dry mouth post-surgery and it seemed obvious that the surgery was the trigger because the dry mouth started the very first morning after surgery and continues to this day.

My doctor suggested that in my case, it is likely due to a decreased production of saliva plus the effects of medications I take at night (which prior to surgery had never caused dry mouth). My dentist prescribed a toothpaste for me and has me gargle with Biotene mouthwash just before bedtime.

OMG I'm 3 weeks post surgery (bypass) and have been having issues with this dry mouth thing too. I've been taking esomeprazole for years and I'm taking much less now so I don't think that has to do with it. I do have Biotene and will use it more often. It's painful! Woke me up a couple of times!