Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sticking to diet 100% but barley down

I just realized I was supposed to post this in pre-surgery weight loss. Is there a way for me to move the post? Sorry for the mistake?

Hello everyone,

I need to lose 50 pounds before I go for my sleeve surgery so I am at a better BMI to make it safer. They set me up with a nutritionist for medical weight loss.

Pretty much, I am to have 3 Protein Shakes a day and 2 small Snacks in between like low fat cheese, and egg, low fat yogurt, etc...

I have been sticking to this diet completely with no cheats. The first week I did great and lost 10 pounds. I am toward the end of my second week and the scale is showing I am only down point 8... I don't see how this is even possible.

I have failed on so many diets on the past. I failed using phentermine and so many weight loss drugs. I am so worried that there is something about me that just can't lose weight.

Ugh I am so disappointed and worried. Has anyone experienced this or have advice for me?

Edited by nicole525

10 lbs in one week is a lot - I suspect six or seven pounds of that was Water. With any diet, after that big initial drop due to water, you settle in to true weight loss, which is usually 1-2 lbs a week. So what you're seeing is pretty normal.

I agree with @catwoman7. But also, are you tracking/counting your calories? If not, small Snacks can really add up! I found that when I have been trying to lose weight prior to surgery, I've been doing high Protein and low carb, and it's be so much easier than earlier attempts. I would make sure that the snacks don't have sugar/carbs (Like low fat yogurt can be really high in added sugar unless it's something like light and fit greek, which is great because it's also high in protein). But as @catwoman7 said, you won't lose 10 lbs every week even if you're perfect.

Keep following the diet, you are on track. That initial weight loss was probably mostly Water. Fat loss is much slower, and it’s better for your health that way. If you really stall (you aren’t in one yet), increasing your exercise level might get the scale moving.