Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update On Me (Surgery: 5/19/21)

On 11/12/2021 at 14:21, SummerTimeGirl said:

UPDATE:

So I got my test results back. Doc had me get several tests to check and see if I was perimenopause or menopause and if maybe that could be the reason I am almost 4 weeks late with my period. Turns out he said I'm most definitely NOT menopausal or even close to perimenopause, which is a shock considering I'm 49. But yeah, that's that. He said if things don't level out soon to see my GYN. I think even more now with those results that this is most definitely tied to me cutting my Metformin in half. Bleh!

I didn’t hit menopause until this year and I am 52!

UPDATE:

Since my last post I have made an effort to up my Protein and drink more Water. Wanted to see if that would trigger things to get moving. At first I THOUGHT things were moving in the right direction when instead of being around 246-248 I started coming in around 243 and 246. But then I got sick! I believe it's the flu. I also haven't been able to eat for about two 2 days in a row. Today is actually the first day in a week to where I felt ok enough to get up and do something. Anyway, even with being sick and not eating (not on purpose) I still only got down to 243.6!!! Like WTF is happening? Haven't seen my lowest of 241.2 since October 25th!! And obviously haven't gone lower than that since.

I am feeling REALLY discouraged! And to make matters worse, it's not like I can say "Well the scale hasn't moved but the inches have" cause I haven't lost anything but .25, YES, ONLY .25, inches the last month!!! I'm not even sure what the hell else there is to do at this point. I'm sure no one has stalled this long. I mean, can I really use the "it's probably your body retaining salt/or water" excuse any longer? Can that even be possible after this long? I'm just not understanding.

I have been eating like I normally have been for the last 4 months. Same types of foods and amounts with maybe a lil added carbs type foods (as suggested by the nutritionist) like Beans here and there and stuff like brown/wild/multi grain rice, quinoa, etc. Not sure what else I can do. I have also been logging my foods again regularly and seem to be falling within my goals. My calories are usually between 800 and 900 (which my plans calls for between 800 and 1000 if still in the weight loss phase). Some days have gone slightly over. Carb, protein and fat within a good range too.

I know the macros for someone consuming 1000-1200 calories a day roughly falls as follows:

Carbs less than 75 grams (25%)
Protein 75-105 grams (35%)
Fats 45-55 grams (40%)
Sugar less than 25 grams

So for me still in the losing phase and staying around 800-1000 calories a day I've been staying as follows:

Carbs 50 grams
Protein 90 grams
Fats 33 grams
Sugar less than 20 but it's usually under 10 naturally, with what I eat.

So I don't think I'm doing that wrong or being off on that but who the hell knows. I'm so ticked off with this and feel like I used to before the surgery where I used to do all the right things and still couldn't lose weight. I will be so angry if this is it for me cause I still have about 50-60 lbs to lose!!

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

Hang in there SummerTimeGirl! Sounds like you are doing all the right things and then some. I swear, the more I read about weigh set points, I truly think you [your body] is in one right now. It just needs time to let go of the weight range it is in right now. It will happen! 💕

https://www.healthline.com/health/set-point-theory

On 12/11/2021 at 7:49 PM, Luna Girl said:

Hang in there SummerTimeGirl! Sounds like you are doing all the right things and then some. I swear, the more I read about weigh set points, I truly think you [your body] is in one right now. It just needs time to let go of the weight range it is in right now. It will happen! 💕

https://www.healthline.com/health/set-point-theory

Thanks for that and thanks for the info. It makes sense, I guess, when they explain it in that way. Hopefully soon things will move.

UPDATE:

So, on Friday I contacted my nutritionist. I sent her a lengthy message through my health portal online and attached a copy of my most recent food logs for her to go over.

She quickly responded and told me the following info. First she thanked me for the included food logs with macros as they were very helpful. She was happy to see that I still log my food as it helps when trying to figure out what you could be doing "wrong". She said that, although she could see that I was trying to keep my Protein up, I was still being VERY inconsistent. Once she looked over it all and averaged it out, she said my protein was drastically ranging from 49-98 grams a day!! Yikes! Didn't pay attention enough to that to see that myself.

She said my carb intake was also inconsistent. She told me I was using the net carb amounts, but also getting the calories from the total carb amount. She wants me to keep the carbs between 50 and 75 grams a day but NOT over 100. At least not now. She said she understand the use of net carbs from a diabetic standpoint, but in my case my blood sugars are improving and my medication has decreased. Of course she said carbs should be from fruit/veg/whole grains. Which I was doing but in wrong amounts, I guess. I also had been lacking in the veggie department cause I somehow inadvertently was replacing veggies with these new carbs (i.e., rice, quinoa, etc) that months ago she suggested I add in. So yeah, was doing things sorta right, but not really. LOL

She said it looked like most of my calories were coming from carbs and lacking in protein that your body needs to preserve muscle and continue to lose fat. She said there was no need to cut them out completely, and that that's not likely to be productive. She also told me to keep my calories down to about 800 a day for now too. Which I was usually between 800 and 1000. Most days, 900.

And finally, when it comes to my fitness she said that walking (which is what I've been doing) is great cardio, but that's all. She suggested I start including some light weight or body weight strength training that's metabolic active, meaning I'll burn calories/fat and preserve muscle and strength. Often times including that helps get through stalls, she said. She told me to make sure there's variety to my activity.

She told me to correct these things for the next few weeks and see if that helps. If not I will make an appointment with her and we can go from there. So, FINGERS CROSSED this works!!! I have made the corrections starting this past Saturday so we'll see. I have yet to figure out an exercise/weight plan. I'm having issues figuring out what exercises I should do with what I have here at home (weight bands and free weights).

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

UPDATE:

So as per my Nutritionists suggestions that I listed above in my last post, for the last 3 weeks I've been strict with logging my daily food intake, keeping my Protein AT LEAST 60-70 grams a day and my carbs around 50 and my calories around 800. I've also been trying to keep my Water intake up.

In the beginning I was unsure of what exercises I was gonna do. I was trying to think of things that would work my entire body, help build muscle (esp. in my legs and arms), but also wanted to do cardio. Combining all that was also a suggestion of my nutritionist. She didn't want me just doing cardio.

Last week I made sure to do the treadmill and/or exercise bike several times a week. I also contacted a trainer that I saw online and asked for some advice based on my situation and he in turn sent me some info and suggestions that he said he has all his clients start off with regardless of their abilities. So this week I started that program.

It consists of 3 days (Mon, Wed, Fri) of weights and in the first week and one day of cardio for 25 mins. The reps and sets stays the same for the weights for the 4 weeks, but the cardio is slightly increased as the weeks go on. By week two I will be up to 2 days of cardio for 30 mins. But to be honest, I plan on doing the cardio on the two off days from the weights starting in the first week. Maybe more. I've also been tossing in some work with weight bands.

Anyway, prior to all of this I was consistently weighing in between 246 and 248. Despite having gotten down to 241.2 on Oct. 25th. So since sticking to this I did get down to 239.4 on Dec. 19th. HOWEVER, I have been consistently weighing in each week since, between 240 and 241. So, the gap from my lowest weigh in is at least a lil closer than what it was doing before. But still not sure why I'm not actively just losing still when I have at least 50-60 more pounds to go! My nutritionist said she wanted to see me if things didn't improve after a few weeks so I'm unsure as to whether I wait it out a lil longer or contact her now. I may wait since I just this week finally got some sort of exercise program going. The first two weeks after talking to her I did not so I wanna give it some time.

Oh and, last month when I checked my inches on Dec 4th, I had only lost .25 since the previous month. That was it!!! Well yesterday when I checked my inches I had lost 3.7 more (two of which were from my stomach and breast)!!! So, maybe things are starting to go in the right direction again and I should give it a little more time. I am hopeful and sticking to the plan. Guess we'll see.

I'm surprised they want you on so little food, honestly. What happens if you bump the calories up by 100-200?

13 minutes ago, vikingbeast said:

I'm surprised they want you on so little food, honestly. What happens if you bump the calories up by 100-200?

I tried that BEFORE I contacted my nutritionist and told her so. I tried everything in Nov and Dec. Didn't up it by much, but I was around 1000 a day. Tried more, tried less, etc. She said based on my food logs it just seemed that I was being very inconstant with my Protein and carbs. I was also logging net carbs and she wanted me to log total and keep it around 50 but definitely not more than 75. And that's not been a problem. Neither has keeping my cals around 800. I don't feel hungry. Occasionally some days I do feel like I need a lil more and so I have something like a low fat yogurt tube, cheese, or turkey pepperoni, a few whole wheat crackers.....stuff like that. It's usually on days I did more exercise or when my period comes around (or at least it did last month).

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

14 minutes ago, huskymama said:

I turned 52 this year and just hit menopause it’s coming and so far it’s been wonderful not having monthly periods they were hell all my life

I will be 50 in May and a few months ago thought I may be going through the start of it due to my period being almost two months late. But my doc ran a battery of tests and it showed I'm still not even close to Peri-menopausal. LOL

UPDATE:

I figure it's been a while since I made an update so, why not. Anyway, I wish there was something good to report but there's not. As you may or may not know from my previous postings, I contacted my nutritionist in December after being in a stall since Oct 25th.

I made the changes she suggested and was able to drop a few more pounds (and inches) and got down to 237.6 on January 26th and now NOTHING since............AGAIN!! So unlike before when my lowest on October 25th was 241.2 but I would constantly hover between 243 to 248 (despite getting down to that) I now got down to 237.6 on January 26th but NOW CONSTANTLY hover between 241 and 243.8!!! It has not gone below 237.6. I AM SO SICK OF IT!! So it pretty much breaks down to I lost ONLY 3.6 lbs in FOUR, going on FIVE, months!!!!!

I have done everything she said. I have since doubled my Protein, make sure I'm getting my Water in, staying within the correct carbs/calories/etc. she suggested and have been exercising regularly for weeks!! Exercise consists of, as per her suggestion........

Mon/Wed/Fri:

Start with 20 min on exercise bike. Followed by Back Squats/Bench Press/Deadlifts (with weights that has me really pushing once I'm at the end of my sets). I then walk the treadmill for 30 min at a slight incline at 3 to 3.5 mph!

Tue/Thurs:

I will do more upper body type workouts with bands and free weights. Some stretches and again, walk the treadmill for 30 min at a slight incline at 3 to 3.5 mph!

The types of exercises (and weights) are varied on Mon/Wed/Fri. They vary between back squats, bench presses, deadlifts, standing overhead press, barbell rows, etc.

I've done everything she said. Made the changes to my diet, log my foods and started doing not only cardio but also a weight lifting regimen. Not even sure anything else will work for me. Not sure there is anything else for me to do. I mean, if there is anything I would consider not so great in my diet it would be the occasional quinoa or whole wheat Pasta. And I'm talking like 3 to 4 times a month, that's it and it's never more than 1/4 cup. Of course I say not so great cause things like that have always seem to mess with my dieting in my life even though every damn doctor says those are good things to eat. I don't know. I'm probably wrong but I'm just not seeing where or how I'm going wrong here. I'm not snacking, not eating sugars or bad carbs, sticking to 3 meals a day (as suggested). I've even tried laxatives thinking maybe I was backed up. OTC water pills, NOTHING! NOTHING makes a difference.

At first I really thought the changes she had me make were gonna make a difference since the scale DID move.......SOME. But I guess I was wrong as it was short lived.

I still have at least 57/60 lbs to lose. Not sure that will ever happen.

My surgeon said at a year out they expect my weight to be between 201 and 234. I guess I AM ok and on track IF I follow that but, it still seems off for me not to be losing regularly.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

I'm sorry you're struggling. YOU'VE LOST 90 LBS!!!! That's great! Remember that many/most people who have WLS do not end up with a "normal" BMI.

I can't tell you anything your dietician hasn't already told you. Stalls DO happen, especially as you get closer to your goal. DON'T use laxatives for weight loss. That is not healthy mentally or physically.

How many calories are you eating? Sometimes people need to eat more/fewer calories to get their weight to move. I assume you've already discussed this with your dietician, as well as weighing and measuring your food to make sure your calorie counts are accurate.

Your exercise plan is really amazing. I keep getting tendinitis and can't do anything...

9 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

I'm sorry you're struggling. YOU'VE LOST 90 LBS!!!! That's great! Remember that many/most people who have WLS do not end up with a "normal" BMI.

I can't tell you anything your dietician hasn't already told you. Stalls DO happen, especially as you get closer to your goal. DON'T use laxatives for weight loss. That is not healthy mentally or physically.

How many calories are you eating? Sometimes people need to eat more/fewer calories to get their weight to move. I assume you've already discussed this with your dietician, as well as weighing and measuring your food to make sure your calorie counts are accurate.

Your exercise plan is really amazing. I keep getting tendinitis and can't do anything...

Thanks. Well I lost 90 lbs since last March. I didn't have the surgery until May 19th so like 72 lbs since surgery.

I don't use the laxatives on the regular. But I did try them twice wondering if maybe I was backed up but as you see, that didn't make a difference so then I knew it wasn't that and didn't do it again.

My nutritionist told me to stay at 800 calories a day (most days I do but some days I go up to around 1200 and that's ok with me), 50-75 grams of Carbs (no more than 100 for sure), and 60-70 grams of Protein a day. But I had been routinely getting in double the protein because the surgeon said it would help with the Hair loss and I believeD it was also making a difference and helping me drop pounds. UNTIL I stalled again. Sigh

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

Your workout routine is really intense. And that's a good thing. But... if you weren't very active before, it's extremely likely that you are gaining muscle, particularly since you are doing weight/resistance training. While that isn't going to explain away 50-60 lbs, it's probably worth spending a little bit of money (should be under US$50) to get a DEXA scan and see what your body fat percentage is, instead of using the BMI which is horribly inaccurate.

Are you doing body measurements? That's probably a better gauge given your activity level than the scale. I still have 30-ish pounds to lose and have been bouncing around (just tiny bumps down every now and then), but I also suspect I have gained muscle since I do weight training four days a week—and the continued shrinking of my midsection despite the traitor scale's refusal to move means that I'm replacing fat with muscle. (I have a DEXA scan scheduled for mid-March to mark six months after surgery.)

9 minutes ago, vikingbeast said:

Your workout routine is really intense. And that's a good thing. But... if you weren't very active before, it's extremely likely that you are gaining muscle, particularly since you are doing weight/resistance training. While that isn't going to explain away 50-60 lbs, it's probably worth spending a little bit of money (should be under US$50) to get a DEXA scan and see what your body fat percentage is, instead of using the BMI which is horribly inaccurate.

Are you doing body measurements? That's probably a better gauge given your activity level than the scale. I still have 30-ish pounds to lose and have been bouncing around (just tiny bumps down every now and then), but I also suspect I have gained muscle since I do weight training four days a week—and the continued shrinking of my midsection despite the traitor scale's refusal to move means that I'm replacing fat with muscle. (I have a DEXA scan scheduled for mid-March to mark six months after surgery.)

Yes! I have been doing body measurements since day one. I had been consistent in losing inches too until recently. My inch loss looks like this.....

June - lost 14.8 inches
July - lost 5.3 inches
Aug - lost 7.7 inches
Sept - lost 7 inches
Oct - lost 10.7 inches
Nov - lost 1.75 inches
Dec - lost .25 inches
Jan - lost 3.7 inches
Feb - lost .5 inches

Anyway, doesn't seem that I'm gaining muscle instead of fat based on those inches lost recently. I don't know.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl