Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update On Me (Surgery: 5/19/21)

Thank you fir the updates! I’m sorry your struggling, but I do appreciate you sharing your honest experiences as I approach my surgery June 8. I already feel like I am not alone bc of your posts.
The past 4 days were tough bc I am on liquids and we went away which involved friends and daily cook outs. I didn’t struggle with hunger but like you said the feeling of being left out. I still cooked for everyone and sat with them while they ate but felt so sad they I couldn’t participate. My husband was so supportive, but also knew there wasn’t much he could do. I don’t want my family to give up their fun bc of me but to Atleast acknowledge that my struggle is real. I hope things get better by the day for you!

@SummerTimeGirl I'm sorry it's so rough right now. It's awesome that your husband is so supportive! Please keep us posted on how you're doing. @Elahnen Sorry it's so rough to be left out, glad your husband was supportive too! I spent the weekend with my semi-ex-boyfriend who is skinny as a rail and he's being super supportive of my trying to lose weight in preparation for my upcoming surgery (no date yet 😞) . We walked and walked and walked and he supported me as I left food on my plate sometimes.

UPDATE:
First day of Puree, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!! Already tried the ricotta bake (4 oz as per my program) and just now sitting down with some refried Beans (4 oz) mixed with a lil taco sauce, lil shredded cheddar, lil sour cream and a lil spicy guacamole and OMGGGGGGGG, I'm in heaven!!!!!! Soooooooo goooood!! LOL So far everything is going down good and easy. Haven't felt overly full or restriction with the amounts I'm able to have thus far at each meal. But that's ok. I feel content after eating and not still hungry.

Otherwise everything is going well for me, as it's been, and nothing new is going on. Stomach/incision pain slightly better. Three of the six incisions have finally shed their glue coating. The big incision is NOT one of them.

UPDATE:
So today is day 4 of my puree stage. I gotta be honest, I have seen others speak about how on puree stage they ate mac & cheese and mashed potatoes (something I can have starting this coming week in soft foods stage) but yesterday I DID try some mac & cheese and I chewed it up really well before swallowing. The problem is, I ate more than my 4oz portion recommendation, probably closer to 8 or 10 oz, and didn't really feel that full feeling at all. I actually stopped myself from having more thinking, hey, that should have been my threshold, don't overdo it.

Not sure what to think about that. Why was it so easy to, not only have pasta.....something many claim they couldn't eat until many months out.....but also a relatively large portion of it (at least 10 oz)? I also tried several bites of pizza (another food many claim they couldn't do until months out) with no fullness or issues either. It wasn't a full piece but probably half of one, and of course I chewed the **** out of that too but still, HOW? How was I able to eat so much and no even be phased? This worries me going forward. And no, I didn't eat the two together but still.

I don’t think I tried quite as much as you but if you chewed it to the consistency of purée your body would react to it the same as purée. I did not feel restriction untill the soft food stage. That being said I still for the most part at what they said I should for each stage but when I did push it a bit I worried that I was not going to have the restriction but as everyone said it kicked in during the soft food stage. Just stick to plan portions and be patient. The restriction will come.

2 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I don’t think I tried quite as much as you but if you chewed it to the consistency of purée your body would react to it the same as purée. I did not feel restriction untill the soft food stage. That being said I still for the most part at what they said I should for each stage but when I did push it a bit I worried that I was not going to have the restriction but as everyone said it kicked in during the soft food stage. Just stick to plan portions and be patient. The restriction will come.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. And the only reason I did try those things was because I have not had issues with sickness or any food thus far. Had I been one to get nauseous or sick, I would never have went there. LOL

And strange enough, after having said what I just did above, I just got myself a 4 oz cup of egg salad (just eggs, mayo, salt and pepper) and a 4 oz of unsweetened applesauce and I ate all of the applesauce but could not even finish half of the egg salad. Was able to eat all that stuff yesterday that I mentioned above with no issues, and yet I couldn't finish even half of egg salad? This is all so strange. LOL

The whole time I had no restriction until about week 3 when I started soft foods. Then boy I can only take a few bites and I get full. If I eat too much too quickly right back up it comes. The whole time I was terrified it didn’t work but it definitely did. I’m about 1 week ahead of you, my surgery was 5/6. I’m down 28 lbs so far. Just keep doing what your supposed to do and have faith.

That's awesome!! Thanks!!

I had a similar experience in that nothing really gave me trouble during the purée/soft food/regular food stages. I am able to eat salad, chicken breast, raw veggies, etc with no problems at all about 7 months out, and have been able to for months.

One thing that I really have been focused on is that my program gave me a surgery and a plan, and I need to stick to it as much as possible. My one piece of advice about 6 or so months ahead is to stick to your plan and try to avoid “testing” your surgery as much as possible. It’s a slippery slope, especially in the early weight loss phase.

UPDATE:
Day 20 today post op! Yesterday I had my two week post surgery primary doctors visit. He was pleased that I lost what I did so far and also made some adjustments to my medication. So now instead of taking 1, 20mg Lisinopril twice a day, he cut it down to 1.5. Both to be taken at night only now. Plus I had already been taken off my Hydrochlorothiazide (day before surgery) which was also for my high BP. He said during my next visit, in September, I may be able to cut that down even further. My BP at yesterdays visit was 106/74 and has consistently been around the same since surgery (I test at home myself).

He also said he's gonna see about cutting the Metformin down in September too but he wanted to wait a full 3 months and another panel of blood work before he decides on that. Either way, I'm happy with those decisions so far.

Oh and, I was finally able to sleep, LAYING DOWN, on my sides like two days ago. Didn't make it through the night, as I did get uncomfortable, but it's a start and a sign that I'm getting better!

Everything else has been fine. Still getting all my Water and Protein in with no issues. Bathroom is normal.

On 05/23/2021 at 18:33, SummerTimeGirl said:

Just wanted to fill people in on what my experience has been like thus far since surgery. If you want to know something I forgot to mention, please don't hesitate to ask.

HOSPITAL STAY:

So I had my surgery May 19th around 10:30 am. I was in recovery and waking up by 11:45 am. All that went smoothly.

The first day I was so dang tired that I drifted off and on while sitting in the chair in-between walking around and drinking. I felt bad for my husband who stay with me all day. He was totally content and happy to be there but I knew he too was tired so about 7pm I made him go home (visiting hours ended at 8 anyway). LOL

When I first got to my room I was like, OMG I have HORRIBLE burning like heartburn and even complained about it. They gave me some sort of Gas chew and it didn't do jack. It wasn't until I got up and walking around that I figured out it was NOT heartburn but related to that gas inside and the walking helped that feeling subside.

They gave me nothing but Water or Gatorade Zero while there and I was totally fine and content with that. They mentioned medicine if I was nauseous but I never was. I felt totally fine and normal but for the one incision site that's to the right and up from my belly button. Doc said that's the typical complaint spot and where he pulls the extra stomach through so that's to be expected. But it hurt like hell when first standing from sitting and also wiping after peeing. Uggghhh. I slept in a chair sitting up that night when I could sleep which really only amounted to 3 hours total.

I was given Tylenol for pain and an Oxycodone once on that first night. They sent me home with the Oxycodone too for pain and so far I have only taken it once at night to help with that pain while sleeping.

The next morning they took more blood work and everything came back good and they allowed me to go home by early noon. Mostly because my pain was managed by meds and because I was easily able to get enough Water down and I was not sick.

Also, I did not pack much but I did pack my cell phone, charger, kindle, Biotene, Chapstick, brush, toothpaste and toothbrush, extra underwear and that was it. I did not use ANYTHING but for my brush and, right after surgery, put on my own undies and a pad since I got my period the day before surgery. I did not even use my cell phone (maybe once to post here) cause I was just so dang tired (plus trying to get my liquids in and walking) and hubby did all the updating to others for me. I mostly watched TV as it was on for background noise more than anything.

MOVING AROUND:

Every day is getting better but this dang incision spot is a ******!!! Can't wait for it to stop hurting cause I'm really tired of sleeping sitting up. I tried every way possible to lay down and it's just not possible! The dang area feels like it's burning and tearing apart when I do. Otherwise I'm following orders and walking around. I do not feel I still have a lot of gas issues but I most definitely feel like I am swollen about my stomach area for sure.

APPEARANCE:

I was actually surprised at how weird my stomach looked after surgery. Normally my stomach is smooth/one size all over and flat/round-ish (except for my little fat pouch right under my left breast that's been there forever). But upon looking at my stomach after surgery, I feel like some spots are like poofed out and others dented in, if that makes sense. Especially the bad incision spot. Strange. Not sure how else to explain it. Today is day 4 and it looks like I'm starting to bruise around most, if not all, incisions. Just slightly.

FOOD/WATER:

So my after diet consists of 2 weeks FULL LIQUIDS, followed by 1 week PUREE, and 2 weeks SOFT FOODS, then finally normal foods. Strange enough, I have had NO problem getting in 64 oz of liquid at all. I've had no chest pain, full feeling or sickness. A few times I had what feels like if you drink too much how it creates a sorta air bubble that hurts for a split second but then it passes. Otherwise, no issues. In fact, a few times after trying to drink/gulp like I normally would, I had to stop and remind myself that I no longer could do that. So weird cause I feel, aside from the incision pain, I would never know I even had surgery. So right now since all I've been able to ingest is liquids, I'm not sure if this is gonna be a blessing or an issue. On one hand I'm glad I can seem to "eat" and drink normal and also have had no aversions to taste. But on the other hand, I worry that will not help me in the long run to lose weight. This remains to be seen but I am scared I won't lose for this reason.

So far I've had Protein Shakes, water, Gatorade Zero, the broths from creamed Soups, sugar free popsicles and that's it.

MEDICINE:

I was told I wouldn't be able to swallow anything bigger than a tictac. That was a lie. I have been able to swallow all my pills, even the big ol Metformin, with no issue.

POTTY:

Had my first BM on my second day home. Had several a day since. No problems there either.

WEIGHT:

Not that I expected anything yet but, I have gotten on the scale and it's the same as it was the day of surgery.

I think that's it. Can't think of anything else right now but if you have any questions please ask.

Ty so much for this!! I’ll be having my surgery in 20 more days and it was great seeing this post!!

I just had my surgery on Tuesday. I hadn’t slept since I woke up from anesthesia. Came home today and I have lots of pain . My experience was definitely interesting. Anyway I am just wondering if it’s normal for my arms to feel warm after coming home. Haven’t felt like eating much and I’m sleepy. I have to sleep on a recliner cannot lay down so uncomfy :(

8 hours ago, amac07 said:

I just had my surgery on Tuesday. I hadn’t slept since I woke up from anesthesia. Came home today and I have lots of pain . My experience was definitely interesting. Anyway I am just wondering if it’s normal for my arms to feel warm after coming home. Haven’t felt like eating much and I’m sleepy. I have to sleep on a recliner cannot lay down so uncomfy :(

I have no advice or suggestion about the warm arms as I have not experienced that issue myself. If it persists and you're worried about it, you could/should call your surgeons office. Otherwise, yes, I was tired for the first two weeks and slept off and on a lot throughout the day. I think the fact that I was on only liquids for almost 4 weeks total (two before and two after surgery) had a hand in that. That and the fact that I could not sleep normally and had to sleep sitting up I didn't get a good nights sleep at all in the beginning.

1 hour ago, AAJamesdycle said:

Please let me know if you're looking for a article writer for your weblog. You have some really good articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an email if interested. Regards!

Weblog? What do you mean? Other than writing on here I have no such blogs/logs. But thanks!