Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2020 Surgery Updates

Hey December surgery people! Our group hasn't posted much lately, I'm hoping it's because of all the success and lifestyle changes. I've made a few friends and one that I text with regularly that we continue to push each other and to hold ourselves accountable. My story has been met with highs, lows, weight loss walls and amazing success. I'm -122.2 lbs since I started the journey 1/1/20 and -73.1 lbs since surgery 12/2/20. My weight loss has certainly slowed in the recent month or 2, but overall it's trending in the right direction. I'm still not able to eat solid red meat (steak) and regular milk without severe stomach aches, but overall the experience has been life changing and worth every second of effort I've made. Does anyone else have some stories to share from our surgery month of December 2020?

Jason

image0.jpeg

You look fabulous. Keep it up! I had a sleeve to RNY for severe GERD. I am happy to say the reflux is 100% improved. I started at 206 and am at 175. My goal would be 165 since I am 70 years old and can't get too gaunt.

I have had only one episode of vomitting and that was my fault. I can eat anything and do. I keep my portions in check and don't overindulge. I do enjoy an adult beverage couple times a week. Overall I am very pleased with my progress.

I do need to get my #ss in gear and start getting more exercise. Seems like spring had finally hit Iowa so getting out more. Bought new walking shoes and going to get going any day now.

Thank you for starting this thread and I hope we hear from others.

Bonnie

I had RNY 12/14/2020. I am down 130 from my HW and 80 since surgery.

I am off all diabetes meds and had an A1C a month ago of 5.6. I see the endocrinologist in 2 weeks. My Type 2 was considered well-controlled so I only saw him twice per year. I am now hoping for even less frequent visits.

My weight loss seems to go in spurts. I drop a few pounds, stay stable and then drop a few more. I am trying to practice all good habits in terms of portion size, exercise and Vitamins to keep me in this for the long haul.

I feel good and am happy in my decision. Despite still having more weight to lose, I haven't weighed this little in many years. I do have some issues with foam vomiting on occasion. It is not dependent upon what I eat. It is all about how fast I eat and how well I chew. I've not found specific foods that don't agree with me. I'm learning to navigate the world of eating post surgery while dining out and being part of social activities.

Great updates, thanks!

I'm right behind you!! I can't believe it's already been 6 months since we did this. Had you asked me a couple years ago if I could ever feel this good, I would call you a liar. I recall very clearly how much it hurt just to get out of bed. I also recall having to be hospitalized twice after the procedure and wondering if I made a mistake. Those "bumps" are all part of the process. I hope to come back to this forum and keep in touch with folks even a year from now to share our success stories.

You're doing great and I appreciate our friendship with all the texts, emails and shared success!

VSG 12/17/20 and down 64lbs since surgery and 20lbs away from my goal. Only food i have had problems with are eggs

Checking in with others here. I can't believe it's been 8 months...

I'm doing well, still think I can drop a bit more weight but very pleased all in all.

Hey friends!

It has been a whirlwind of almost 7 months! Started at 274 highest, pre-op diet to surgery was 248, now 176. I’ve been stuck at 176-178 for like a month. It’s frustrating but at the same time, I’ve been struggling. Not in terms of quantity, but quality. Summer time and the ability to tolerate everything has brought some bad habits back into my life. A brownie or sweet treat a couple times a week. Of course I can’t eat half a pan like I used to, but still, I shouldn’t be having something sweet (cookie brownie cupcake) a few times a week. Ive also been emotionally struggling. Sometimes wanting to eat constantly. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I don’t let myself but I swear I feel so hungry.

My goal was 150, the surgeon set it anywhere between 150-170, so I’m close but it’s like maybe mid 170’s is just where I’m going to stay? Or maybe those little treats are keeping me from going lower? I think I may try to find a counselor, maybe that would help?! 😫

My goal was 220 and I've been hovering in the mid 220's for a while now. I also struggle with the sweet tooth. Talking to a counselor is an excellent idea. We have to explore the questions that got us to this point in the first place. It seems the better option is to replace the habit of eating a half pan of brownies with something a bit healthier. Too funny you said that because that is a huge weakness for me! I also have been indulging in the sweets and I'm personally scared of letting the old habits take back control.

Same David! I have a serious problem with sweets. Honestly, I’m the worst at work. It’s quick, easy and we have some delicious stuff delivered. Where at home, I don’t buy it so I don’t eat it. Better willpower for working times for sure I have to work on. I did break through my stall and I’m at 173, officially 100 pounds down since my highest. It’s crazy! I feel like such a different person!

Hope everyone is doing well!