Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!

9 hours ago, Retired said:

Thanks for the encouragement...Yes we can do this!
My surgeon will be Dr. Minkin in St. Louis. He’s such an upbeat person and I’ve had good experiences with him doing several colonoscopies over the years for me that I’m not worried about him doing this.
I’m mostly worried about disconnecting from my comfort foods, I definitely will need to find some activity to take its place.

Boy, I'm right there with you. Finding a healthy substitute for food is the biggest challenge of all. I think of the surgery as a tool, but getting my head straight with food is really the journey. A friend who had surgery some years ago recommended a book that I am currently reading. It's called The Emotional First+Aid Kit (a practical guide to life after bariatric surgery) by Cynthia Alexander, PsyD. It has some useful guidance.

10 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

YAY, that's my day too!!!!!!!

Have you started the liquid diet yet? I’m getting nervous and thinking maybe with just doing this I won’t need the surgery but I know that this won’t last and I need the change even though I’m scared.

2 minutes ago, mandya84 said:

Have you started the liquid diet yet? I’m getting nervous and thinking maybe with just doing this I won’t need the surgery but I know that this won’t last and I need the change even though I’m scared.

No. I start my pre op diet (4 shakes a day and 4, 1 cup servings of non starchy veggies) on May 8th. I have thought that same thing a million times and even did liquid diets in the past but that never lasts long (nor do I ever lose much). So I'm totally excited and ready for the surgery.

1 minute ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

No. I start my pre op diet (4 shakes a day and 4, 1 cup servings of non starchy veggies) on May 8th. I have thought that same thing a million times and even did liquid diets in the past but that never lasts long (nor do I ever lose much). So I'm totally excited and ready for the surgery.

I’m excited as well just anxious I guess! I started my liquid diet today. Not going to lie I had a hard time drinking the 5 Protein Shakes as I wasn’t hungry. Thinking that’s not going to last! I’m jealous of the fact you can eat! I’m all liquid and had to do 3 weeks.

3 minutes ago, mandya84 said:

I’m excited as well just anxious I guess! I started my liquid diet today. Not going to lie I had a hard time drinking the 5 Protein Shakes as I wasn’t hungry. Thinking that’s not going to last! I’m jealous of the fact you can eat! I’m all liquid and had to do 3 weeks.

Yikes!!! 3 weeks all liquid? And I thought I had it bad with just the shakes and veggies as I've seen others who were able to eat meat at least once a day. I think that it just hasn't hit me yet that this is happening. I'm sure once it gets closer I may get anxious, I don't know. Guess we'll see!! You're gonna do great! So am I! Gotta stay positive!! So happy to have someone else going in the same day as me.

2 minutes ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Yikes!!! 3 weeks all liquid? And I thought I had it bad with just the shakes and veggies as I've seen others who were able to eat meat at least once a day. I think that it just hasn't hit me yet that this is happening. I'm sure once it gets closer I may get anxious, I don't know. Guess we'll see!! You're gonna do great! So am I! Gotta stay positive!! So happy to have someone else going in the same day as me.

I totally agree! It’s great having someone going the same day! Yes, we will do fantastic!! Yes all liquid! I guess it’s a good start for the post op diet! You’ll do great on the pre op diet!

Hello Yall! I am scheduled for surgery next Wednesday, May 5th. I am super excited and nervous. My nerves are trying to get the best of me. Has anyone found that drinking Protein Shakes make you want to vomit?!? LOL i cannot stomach them very well and i literally just want to barf thinking about having to drink one haha Yes i am drinking them but dang! I have bought from the cheap Premier ones to the expensive $80 tub of Protein Powder. Nope, money doesnt make it better thats for sure lol. Also, anyone keeping track of you weight loss on the pre op diet and so on. I have been watching my weight and my measurements. I will be doing the last set on Tuesday for my final "weigh in" I look forward to chatting with yall

On 04/30/2021 at 08:55, Arcadia said:

Hello Yall! I am scheduled for surgery next Wednesday, May 5th. I am super excited and nervous. My nerves are trying to get the best of me. Has anyone found that drinking Protein Shakes make you want to vomit?!? LOL i cannot stomach them very well and i literally just want to barf thinking about having to drink one haha Yes i am drinking them but dang! I have bought from the cheap Premier ones to the expensive $80 tub of Protein Powder. Nope, money doesnt make it better thats for sure lol. Also, anyone keeping track of you weight loss on the pre op diet and so on. I have been watching my weight and my measurements. I will be doing the last set on Tuesday for my final "weigh in" I look forward to chatting with yall

Hi Arcadia! My surgery is Monday! I am also excited and nervous—but I am ready! I have a hard time with Protein Shakes, too. I normally like them when I can mix them with almond milk and fruit, but on the liquid, pre-op diet, I can’t have fruit. I love Fairlife Core Protein —26 grams of protein and tastes like chocolate milk to me—it is the best I have found. I only drink one a day though because the sugar content is a little higher than Premier Protein. I have been keeping up with my weight-loss during the pre-op diet, and I am down 15 lbs. Let me know how your surgery goes!

29 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Yes I am on day 3 of my liver shrink and the Protein Shakes are really hard to get down. Someone suggested to me to make freeze pops out of them and im going to try that. Might make it a bit easier. Good luck with your surgery.

I found out yesterday that I’m scheduled for May 19! I felt a wave of excitement and terror haha. My pre op appt is this Tuesday the 4th. I’m still not sure when I’m going to be able to get my lab work done, my kids had to go back to distance learning after they each had a teacher test positive for covid. Their dad is also out of town for work until June 25. When it rains it pours!

4 minutes ago, LuckyKelleyK said:

I found out yesterday that I’m scheduled for May 19! I felt a wave of excitement and terror haha. My pre op appt is this Tuesday the 4th. I’m still not sure when I’m going to be able to get my lab work done, my kids had to go back to distance learning after they each had a teacher test positive for covid. Their dad is also out of town for work until June 25. When it rains it pours!

Yay, another May 19th! That's 3 of us now.

Hi All, first post, I'm scheduled for May 10th. I took 3 months from the initial visit to realize this is the best course of action for me. Coming from a family history of obesity i don't want to live like this any more. I've started the pre-op diet and am happy to say I've discovered whole new sections of our grocery store. Now just have to figure out what to do with everything in the pantry and refrigerator I can't eat any longer. It's scary but a friend of mine who had it 5 years ago has been a big help. He said you'll wake up and ask yourself what have I done, but at least its not a sex reassignment. 😀

10 minutes ago, Jmk77379 said:

Hi All, first post, I'm scheduled for May 10th. I took 3 months from the initial visit to realize this is the best course of action for me. Coming from a family history of obesity i don't want to live like this any more. I've started the pre-op diet and am happy to say I've discovered whole new sections of our grocery store. Now just have to figure out what to do with everything in the pantry and refrigerator I can't eat any longer. It's scary but a friend of mine who had it 5 years ago has been a big help. He said you'll wake up and ask yourself what have I done, but at least its not a sex reassignment. 😀

Hah! Hysterical.

It took me some time to decide to move forward as well and thankfully, I had some time to clear out the "stuff" from my kitchen that I knew I wouldn't be eating any time soon. I hear about people having regrets right after. Having a sense of humor and being kind to our bodies is a good place to start.

Let us know how your surgery goes and best wishes for a successful one and a speedy recovery.

Hi, just joined this app/forum. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow (5/3/21) after being cancelled in Dec because of COVID. Starting to be nervous now that the day is finally here, but some of your posts have helped.