Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the first thing you eat or drink everyday?

Not pills. I normally start the day with a loaded up Protein Shake blended in the bullet. I may not have it until close to lunch time some days, I am never in a hurry to eat/drink first thing like I used to be. How about you?

Morning latte. I use Kitu super coffee which is low sugar and high Protein.

1 minute ago, Jaelzion said:

Morning latte. I use Kitu super coffee which is low sugar and high Protein.

I have learned something new today! :)

I usually work out first thing in the morning, and I drink a bottle of Water with Starburst All Pink drink mix (I mix it at half strength) -- my current favorite Water Enhancer. After my workout and water bottle, I drink a cup of tea. My current favorite is Tazo pumpkin spice chai, with a little almond milk and Jordan's Skinny Syrup. I usually don't eat anything until lunchtime so I can save my daily Built Bar for an after-dinner treat.

Dihydrogen Monoxide... don't get out of bed with out good old H2O!

(water)

After that it varies depending on my mood. Could be a Protein Drink or greek yogurt with fruit and chia seeds, or eggs (I hate eggs but sometimes I forget, like this morning). Sometimes I have cheese and ham in a low carb wrap toasted in a pan.

coffee with fat-free half and half. I drink my Protein Shake on the drive to work.

First thing I do in the mornings is make a pot of coffee. So within 15 mins of getting up in the mornings, I'm already drinking it (black) out of my 500 ml thermos.

Usually takes me about an hour to finish it (hence the reason I keep it in a thermos, lol)

So I'm seeing that many of you are not Breakfast people -- is this correct? I was never much of a breakfast person, but my dietician strongly recommended I eat something daily for breakfast, but I noticed I'm hungrier mid-morning if I eat breakfast versus just having liquids.

20 minutes ago, Jnfinney said:

So I'm seeing that many of you are not Breakfast people -- is this correct? I was never much of a breakfast person, but my dietician strongly recommended I eat something daily for breakfast, but I noticed I'm hungrier mid-morning if I eat breakfast versus just having liquids.

Same here. Never ate breakfast either and when I told the dietician this she was not happy. She was especially not happy once we found out I was now Type 2 Diabetic. Something that I was unaware of until pre-op testing. I hadn't been to my regular doc appointments or had blood work done in about a year and a half due to Covid so I had no idea I crossed that line.

Anywho, since starting the program I try REALLY hard to become a breakfast person. Even if it's at least a Protein Shake or a hard boiled egg or something. I wanted to get myself in the habit of eating breakfast NOW before my surgery.

1 hour ago, Jnfinney said:

Not a breakfast person either, never was, even pre-op. I get the thing about being hungrier if I eat it though...but mostly I find that eating soon after I wake up makes me “sluggish”...if that makes sense.

edited to add: when I started running, I was told by “many” that I should eat breakfast beforehand...but honestly i think it made me tire faster. So I prefer to do my morning runs on an empty stomach (well, except for coffee..i do drink that first)

Edited by ms.sss

@ms.sss I also run in the morning (well, not right now as I am still recovering) and I also prefer to run on an empty stomach - eating before I run makes me feel sluggish and can give me an upset stomach.

I can't speak to post-bariatric surgery specifically, but the latest research for the general community is that people should only eat breakfast if they are inclined to eat breakfast. If people who are not generally breakfast eaters start eating breakfast, the latest studies show they will eat more calories throughout the day, whereas the reverse is true for people who are naturally inclined to eat breakfast. If "natural breakfast eaters" skip breakfast, they will compensate by overeating later in the day.

No, I do not have the citation for this study, I read this a number of years ago but read that there were a number of similar findings from other studies. And I don't recall this being tested in bariatric surgery patients or people with diabetes, etc.

44 minutes ago, lizonaplane said:

No, I do not have the citation for this study, I read this a number of years ago but read that there were a number of similar findings from other studies. And I don't recall this being tested in bariatric surgery patients or people with diabetes, etc.

Here is an abstract of a study from 2014.

In short, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL (including total number of calories consumed) the study showed that there is no difference in calories burned over 24 hours between breakfast eaters and skippers.

So if u’r hungry, eat, if you’re not, don’t. Just keep total calories the same, either way.