Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are people afraid of atheism?

written by men, inspired by God.

Can you prove that?

Clearly, you cannot because religion depends on faith. I'm not knocking faith for you, but it isn't for me. I want the cold hard facts and religion does not provide us with that. It depends on believing something written by people we never met that historically had quite an agenda.

I don't think the world is such a horrible place to live in. I think it is pretty darn nice. It's pretty, there are lots of nice people, interesting things to do, fascinating things to learn... I think it's a great place. It could be better if people behaved themselves but it really comes down to how you want to look at it. If you want to look at - and focus upon the 5% of slimy people out there doing bad things, so be it. If you want to focus on the 95% of the people out there plugging away, living their lives, and doing the best they can, so be it.

This is one aspect of xtianity that I really don't understand. I can't wrap my brain around it. If there is a God, and I lack belief in such, then why not look at all the beautiful things around us. I see xtians write things all the time about how horrible the world is. Maybe for those writing those statements that is true. But it isn't true if you look beyond your own backyard. It's a pretty cool place to be.

I guess it is all perspective.

i like to believe there's more out there after death, like the party to continue.

Keep in mind, a belief or lack of belief in an afterlife has nothing in the world to do with atheism. Atheism means a lack of a God:

Theism: With a God

Atheism: Without a God

Christians didn't make up the afterlife concept, that existed long before xtianity. Many atheists believe in an afterlife.

A wristwatch, has a creator.

The home you're in right now, has a creator.

Fair enough. Who created your God?

If an atheist can look into their newborn child's face, after the miracle of birth, or look at nature, and the beauty of creation, and think that this all occurred by CHANCE, is quite amazing.

Again, who created your God? Must have been an amazing entity. ;o)

I could only assume that an atheist is someone who's been let down by false religion and sought their only available option that was reasonable to them at the time: not believing in what they once believed in..... I get that.

It doesn't mean it's the truth....

Faith doesn't mean truth either. Not all atheists have been let down by religion. I think there comes a time when we all ask the hard questions. Some are okay with faith, some are not. Some need much more than a desire to believe something is out there.

Nonsense? Really? Look at your local paper, and re-read the scripture and tell me again, that it's not an accurate description of the world....

The world isn't made up of atheists. Many of the people who contribute to bad in the world claim to be Christians, in fact.

I could only assume

Well, you know what happens when you assume...

Edited by MacMadame

I don't want religion in schools... I want all theories presented to children and let them choose.

How arrogant for you to assume that I don't know what theory means.... I do... doesn't make it fact. Tests derived to "prove" their own theory. Yeah, good science. Do a little reading and research, don't assume everyone else is an idiot.

I believe people should worship what they want or nothing, I don't care. What I care about is when people start ATTACKING my beliefs when I hadn't attacked yours.

This is funny. First you say people are arrogant because they assumed you don't know what theory means. Then you go off and prove them right by trying to legitimize creationism as a "theory" to be taught in school. All theories in school are SCIENTIFIC THEORIES in which theories are backed up with scientific facts.

Here's one deifnition:

It is a fundamental requirement of scientific method that all hypotheses and theories must be tested against observations of the natural world, rather than resting solely on a priori reasoning, intuition, or revelation. Hence, science is considered to be methodologically empirical in nature.

When God comes down from the heavens and submits to genetic testing and a polygraph test let me know. I will support you all the way. :)

When God comes down from the heavens and submits to genetic testing and a polygraph test let me know. I will support you all the way. :)

Wow... you sure demand a lot!

I only asked that he come down, shake my hand, and stay for dinner for a nice conversation.

Yet... nada.

Originally Posted by MrsFlipFlops viewpost.gif

I don't want religion in schools... I want all theories presented to children and let them choose.

I 100% agree that comparative religion (and I include agnostics and atheists here) should be taught in the schools. It is definitely part of our history. The more I study, the stronger a believer I am. I doubt exposure to a belief, or lack of, will change too many minds.

Hi, it is not the school's job to teach my children religion of any kind; the job of the teachers and administrators (public school systems) are to teach my children academics. Anything besides that, I will and many other parents will protest. Academics is our main focus here in Atlanta. Whatever religion is taught, I will teach it. They are authorized by me to teach them Math, Science, English, Social Studies, Language Arts, Composition, PE, Music, and Art. Science is part of academics and whatever is contrarily taught against my Christian belief I will correct it with my children; they already have heads up anyway. I did not mention the private sector because they can teach religion or whatever their beliefs are.

Edited by LLPlady3

Originally Posted by MrsFlipFlops viewpost.gif

I 100% agree that comparative religion (and I include agnostics and atheists here) should be taught in the schools. It is definitely part of our history. The more I study, the stronger a believer I am. I doubt exposure to a belief, or lack of, will change too many minds.

Hi, it is not the school's job to teach my children religion of any kind; the job of the teachers and adminsistrators (public school systems) are to teach my children academics. Anything besides that, I will and many other parents will protest. Academics is our main focus here in Atlanta. Whatever religion is taught, I will teach it. They are authorized by me to teach them Math, Science, English, Social Studies, Language Arts, Composition, PE, Music, and Art. Science is part of academics and whatever is contrarily taught against my Christian belief I will correct it with my children; they already have heads up anyway. I did not mention the private sector because they can teach religion or whatever their beliefs are.

Hear hear!

Public schools aren't even doing all that great of a job teaching the basics let alone religion. Can you imagine the uproar if they did teach religion? There are as many version of Christianity as there are Christians looking in the mirror each morning. There is no way a teacher could teach it anyway. Every single person would be protesting that she isn't teaching it the right way.

Let's leave school for the basics as you outline and home/church for religion.

Keep in mind, a belief or lack of belief in an afterlife has nothing in the world to do with atheism. Atheism means a lack of a God:

Theism: With a God

Atheism: Without a God

Christians didn't make up the afterlife concept, that existed long before xtianity. Many atheists believe in an afterlife.

Thank you - This honestly was something I was not aware of. My GF does not believe in the afterlife & it was an assumption I made.

What is ridiculous is how many people have NO CLUE about science. The word "theory" in science has a very specific meaning. In order to be a scientific theory, there has to be a lot of rigor and data to support it. It's only called a theory because it can't be directly observed via the scientific method.

Creationism is junk science that doesn't rise to the standard of being a scientific theory. It has no place being taught in our schools as if it were equal to a true scientific theory that has undergone a rigorous process of vetting.

You know, I can say I have theory ... my theory is that people people who interpret the Bible literally rather than as a serious of metaphors and allegories were dropped on their head as babies. Hey, let's teach my theory in schools! After all, it's a theory just like evolution and the big band theory! Sure... they are exactly equal in how much data there is to support them. After all, they are all "just theories." Except not...

Cheers! Here, here!

Thank you - This honestly was something I was not aware of. My GF does not believe in the afterlife & it was an assumption I made.

I think most people make that assumption. Most think of "heaven" as the afterlife and it's a Christian concept. So they assume "no Christian God" must mean no afterlife. Truth is, an afterlife predates Christianity. An afterlife is something that Christianity copied from the religions prior.

With that said, in my experience most atheists do not happen to believe in an afterlife but a great many do.

re: "Let's leave school for the basics as you outline and home/church for religion."

I'm all for teaching religionS in school....just as soon as the churches start teaching math and science from the pulpit....and not until then....

HA! Excellent point!

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

With that said, in my experience most atheists do not happen to believe in an afterlife but a great many do.

I would say the majority don't believe in an afterlife.

Personally I believe it doesn't matter -- Me as I know Me will be dead either way. I also think it's important to live your life now and be a good person now, just for the sake of doing good in the world, and not do good only because you fear eternal damnation.

From a completely non-scientific point of view or religious I've noticed in my life that a relative has a baby around the time one of my relatives die. Or a relative is pregnant around the time of a death. I've often told my daughter she has her great grandmother's spirit in her and I was pregnant with her when my grandmother passed. I think there maybe something to reincarnation but of course it's only my feeling. Something about one's energy still being around after they've died.

From a completely non-scientific point of view or religious I've noticed in my life that a relative has a baby around the time one of my relatives die. Or a relative is pregnant around the time of a death. I've often told my daughter she has her great grandmother's spirit in her and I was pregnant with her when my grandmother passed. I think there maybe something to reincarnation but of course it's only my feeling. Something about one's energy still being around after they've died.

see - that's along my thinking. i'm not fearful of damnation - i just would like to "believe" i will be reconnected with love ones who have passed on. it's a hope / wish, when i say "carry on the party" - i imagine having a manhattan w/my great grandmother on top of a cloud...like we did when she was alive.

might be silly, but that's where i say i have "faith" in the afterlife. it's not religiously based - more "selfish" as mentioned previoiusly.

I would say the majority don't believe in an afterlife.

Personally I believe it doesn't matter -- Me as I know Me will be dead either way. I also think it's important to live your life now and be a good person now, just for the sake of doing good in the world, and not do good only because you fear eternal damnation.

Perfectly said. I'm going to be worm food when I die, so I better make the most of the life I'm living now.