Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people do you have on "Ignore" here?

Nobody! seeing human train wrecks online is amusing and a distraction from the in real life ones I can’t mute.

4 hours ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

Nobody! seeing human train wrecks online is amusing and a distraction from the in real life ones I can’t mute.

If you hang around long enough you might change your mind.

I like to think this is a pretty supportive group. There have just been those odd few who make it uncomfortable or unpleasant for the rest of us. Have to admit I have reported a couple of posters. It’s those who don’t respect that others may have a different opinion or experience who annoy me most.

True, I might! I’ve been active here for about a year but a hardcore lurker before that. People on the whole seem pretty reasonable here, with a few exceptions of course.

That being said, my favorite threads are as follows:

Op posts up a plea for help, they are having problems and need people’s assistance.
Many people, including successful veterans, offer suggestions.
Op becomes defensive and states that there’s no way what has been suggested will work and nobody understands them and what they are already doing is perfectly fine.
People point out they posted a problem and asked for help.
Op criticizes everybody and then vanishes into the ether, never to be seen again.

11 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I like to think this is a pretty supportive group. There have just been those odd few who make it uncomfortable or unpleasant for the rest of us. Have to admit I have reported a couple of posters. It’s those who don’t respect that others may have a different opinion or experience who annoy me most.

You nailed it. Very supportive group here. Still some EXTREMELY opinionated goof balls on here that I do not want to deal with.

23 hours ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

Op posts up a plea for help, they are having problems and need people’s assistance.
Many people, including successful veterans, offer suggestions.
Op becomes defensive and states that there’s no way what has been suggested will work and nobody understands them and what they are already doing is perfectly fine.
People point out they posted a problem and asked for help.
Op criticizes everybody and then vanishes into the ether, never to be seen again.

That's a very common pattern, indeed.

I think a large majority of us have the potential to be or have been, know it alls, be bombastic, be blunt or have our messages be read in a manner that it wasn't intended.

We usually just blind or ignorant to the way the reader receives the intended messages in our posts.

This includes me and I have no doubt if you looked through my posts some people may (or do) think what a know it all, how bombastic is she etc etc.

Some of us are also too sensitive or easily offended when we read something we don't agree with or misunderstand or misread posts. All this is the nature of social media, it is what it is.

I will admit I have a few.... but like someone said, been here so long, they have weeded themselves out. I'm sure I'm on a few as I know I can be blunt. Have had some differences of opinion.... But there is a few people still here that think they are the "be all". I like coming here and meeting people, talking, helping, and have them help me.

Just for the record.... If you can read this..... it means I like you.

1 hour ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

I will admit I have a few.... but like someone said, been here so long, they have weeded themselves out. I'm sure I'm on a few as I know I can be blunt. Have had some differences of opinion.... But there is a few people still here that think they are the "be all". I like coming here and meeting people, talking, helping, and have them help me.

Just for the record.... If you can read this..... it means I like you.

NAILED IT!!

I only had the one know-it-all who couldn’t let a post go by without bragging about his success and flat out fat shamed people here. I didn’t ignore him because I wanted to be vocal against his bs. Reported every time he crossed the line and he’s gone now or lurking under yet another new name. I personally find it hard to pick the right balance of positive support vs “you need to get your shit together” type advice to give. Some people need one vs the other and its not really possible to always know who needs what to get through the issues they (sometimes) create for themselves. This is a wonderful forum and overall it’s got a great balance of people willing to offer real help, real advice. I don’t use Facebook but my wife shows me the crap-show on some of those gastric groups and it’s simply absurd compared to this place…. for the most part….

17 minutes ago, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

I only had the one know-it-all who couldn’t let a post go by without bragging about his success and flat out fat shamed people here. I didn’t ignore him because I wanted to be vocal against his bs. Reported every time he crossed the line and he’s gone now or lurking under yet another new name. I personally find it hard to pick the right balance of positive support vs “you need to get your **** together” type advice to give. Some people need one vs the other and its not really possible to always know who needs what to get through the issues they (sometimes) create for themselves. This is a wonderful forum and overall it’s got a great balance of people willing to offer real help, real advice. I don’t use Facebook but my wife shows me the crap-show on some of those gastric groups and it’s simply absurd compared to this place…. for the most part….

I have read FB is bad for your mental health. 99% of post on here are good or entertaining. You do get the ones about Cocaine, weed and booze that many just ignore because they are so bizarre....but they do have entertainment value :)

Edited by Tim C

56 minutes ago, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

I only had the one know-it-all who couldn’t let a post go by without bragging about his success and flat out fat shamed people here. I didn’t ignore him because I wanted to be vocal against his bs. Reported every time he crossed the line and he’s gone now or lurking under yet another new name. I personally find it hard to pick the right balance of positive support vs “you need to get your **** together” type advice to give.

LOL! He's the one who came to mind immediately!

56 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

LOL! He's the one who came to mind immediately!

He and the "tough lovers division" that got banned a while ago, lol.

1 hour ago, Tim C said:

I have read FB is bad for your mental health. 99% of post on here are good or entertaining. You do get the ones about Cocaine, weed and booze that many just ignore because they are so bizarre....but they do have entertainment value :)

I agree it can be very bad for some people. My psychologist even went as far as to tell me not to have a Facebook account because of the effects it has on mental health. And he had to check this site out before he would “allow” me to join these chats. I have found most everyone to be extremely supportive though. One time I do admit I must have misinterpreted something as someone being less than supportive because I have read their posts since then and can tell they would never say something negative. I think that does happen sometimes when we are typing.....things come across different than we intended. If possible, I like to think that is the case when I read something less than constructive and try to move on. I haven’t come across anyone blatantly bad. I am fairy new though. I’m sure they are out there.

13 minutes ago, summerset said:

He and the "tough lovers division" that got banned a while ago, lol.

yep - I remember them, too!