Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your why?



Recommended Posts

On 4/8/2021 at 6:35 AM, mother_of_many_50 said:

YES! I forgot to mention the sex part too...My husband and I have been together for over 1/2 of our lives and I really want to have a better sex life with him. My weight doesn't seem to bother him, but I am just embarrassed to have him see me without clothing on...we deserve better :)

Oh yeah between us both being heavy we were intimate maybe once a month. For a 26 year old that's NOT ENOUGH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 7:31 PM, Elahnen said:

To save my own life! I couldn’t let my kids lose me anymore then they already have due to my weight issues!

Good reason. Good for you. Proud of you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2021 at 8:54 PM, CarlRRT said:

Severe hip pain that limited my ability to work and exercise, and a hypertrophied left ventricular wall (enlarged heart). I have grandkids now. I have a wife i'd like to grow old with, and we still have a lot of adventures on our list. I want to be able to hike up into the North Carolina mountains and fly fish remote streams.

Yes the arthritis! I was diagnosed at 24 and put on disability for it. It was BAD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have struggled with weight my entire adult life. I’ve yo yo dieted...lost and gained over 100 pounds 3 times. Just before turning 50 I decided to give it another go in trying to lose the weight once and for all the traditional way with a naturopath and a personal trainer. But if that didn’t work I made a promise to myself that, I would go for the gastric bypass. It took about 2 years but I was successful with the weight loss, and once again lost 100 lbs. Unfortunately a few years later, slowly but surely the weight came back. A number of reasons precipitated that including the fact I wax dealing with a lot of stress and depression associated with getting a breast lumpectomy because of a suspicious biopsy.
It was not cancer, but because of it I’m considered high risk. By then I also experienced a lot pain due to osteoarthritis of my knees. So much so that I now require a knee replacement. Unfortunately my weight would make, not only the surgery, but the recovery difficult and complicated. Not only that, I have high BP. At 54 with retirement fast approaching i felt I was running out of time before other health problems came so I decided to keep my promise of going for the surgery to give myself a chance to have a long active, healthy and adventurous retirement.

Had my surgery March 29th and not looking back! I should have done it sooner but so grateful now!

Edited by ThanaK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so tired of to yo diet every time I lose I gain double and I need this for myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m tired of having painful knees and feet. I’m “pre-diabetic” and do NOT want to become a full diabetic. I’m a nurse and I’ve seen the damage diabetes does to every body system! I have hypertension and would love to decrease my medications...been on BP meds since I was 19 so doubt I will get off completely but maybe. However, the event that really pushed me to start seriously pursuing WLS happened at work. One of the things I have to do at work is go to the morgue and sign the paperwork and release bodies to the funeral home. When I had called the funeral home to request the pickup, they asked me the persons weight and when I told them, they said they would dispatch their van along with an extra person due to the weight. As I assisted with moving the person from the morgue tray to their stretcher I realized the person was only slightly heavier that myself. I suddenly felt so sorry for this patient and then felt embarrassed for myself and determined at that moment to do something to get the excess weight off once and for all. I have no idea why this time it affected me so much but I’m glad it did. I’m ready to get the WLS done and get my life and energy back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, Creekimp13 said:

I'm riding horses huntseat and jumping again.

OMG - nothing like tall boots to make you feel like the fattest human being alive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost both my mom and my sister to breast cancer. I had a preventative mastectomy and hysterectomy when I was 38 and was thrown into menopause. I gained 40 lbs within months. Then I went to work on my PhD and over the course of graduate school, I gained another 40 lbs. I tried every diet imaginable for 5 years—I would lose 20 lbs, only to gain 30 back. I used every excuse imaginable—hormones, stress, etc.
Last fall, I had a blood clot scare, and my BP was 200/110–I was close to having a stoke. My doctor told me that it was all weight related. Enough was enough!
I have 3 grown and amazing adult children that May (hopefully) have future grandchildren. I want to watch them grow and be their active and fun Grandmother. I want to be active and fit for as long as I can. My grandmother lived to be 98—Still living on her own and walking to the grocery store. I want to be like her—-healthy and active—still kicking at 98! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BypassedSophie said:

I lost both my mom and my sister to breast cancer. I had a preventative mastectomy and hysterectomy when I was 38 and was thrown into menopause. I gained 40 lbs within months. Then I went to work on my PhD and over the course of graduate school, I gained another 40 lbs. I tried every diet imaginable for 5 years—I would lose 20 lbs, only to gain 30 back. I used every excuse imaginable—hormones, stress, etc.
Last fall, I had a blood clot scare, and my BP was 200/110–I was close to having a stoke. My doctor told me that it was all weight related. Enough was enough!
I have 3 grown and amazing adult children that May (hopefully) have future grandchildren. I want to watch them grow and be their active and fun Grandmother. I want to be active and fit for as long as I can. My grandmother lived to be 98—Still living on her own and walking to the grocery store. I want to be like her—-healthy and active—still kicking at 98! 😉

Way to go! Congratulations on taking responsibility for your health. That's so inspiring. When is/was your surgery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/30/2021 at 11:32, pk88 said:






Way to go! Congratulations on taking responsibility for your health. That's so inspiring. When is/was your surgery?


My surgery is Monday! I am both excited and nervous! I can’t believe it is in 3 days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Pcos and everyone in my family is morbidly obese. Knowing that no matter what fad diet I go on no matter how much effort I put into my diet I will never be at a healthy weight. The weight will just keep piling on. Because of the way my body was made and my PCOS. I am so glad to of gotten this tool to help me not only with my eating disorder but to help me lose weight and live a healthy life with my son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, BypassedSophie said:

My surgery is Monday! I am both excited and nervous! I can’t believe it is in 3 days!

Exciting! I can't wait to hear how you do. I hope you get some time this weekend to just relax and take care of yourself. Several years ago I had gall bladder surgery and a friend sent me a link to some meditation apps that Kaiser Permanente has available to the public on their website. I listened to the one for people having surgery and I honestly believe it helped me better prepare and heal after. I'm not a meditator, mind you, but just listening to them was relaxing and soothing. Here's the link if you're interested. https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/health-wellness/podcasts/conditions-diseases/surgery. Wishing you all the best and looking forward to hearing about your successes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pk88 said:

Exciting! I can't wait to hear how you do. I hope you get some time this weekend to just relax and take care of yourself. Several years ago I had gall bladder surgery and a friend sent me a link to some meditation apps that Kaiser Permanente has available to the public on their website. I listened to the one for people having surgery and I honestly believe it helped me better prepare and heal after. I'm not a meditator, mind you, but just listening to them was relaxing and soothing. Here's the link if you're interested. https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/health-wellness/podcasts/conditions-diseases/surgery. Wishing you all the best and looking forward to hearing about your successes.

This is not the first time I have heard this thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Stacyp44

      surgery on thursday im so excited
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • summerset

      How's everyone doing? I'm still fighting insurance company over plastics.
      Many changes at work are coming up. It's very stressful but there are also some opportunities involved, both in regards to personal development and promotion.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Butterflyeffect

      Hi everyone, I finally reached Onederland, yay!! Feels great and I have no regrets. Still a way to go but so much closer now. Thanks for all the support and tips along the way. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • MARSHAHUNTER

      Hi Everyone, I’m Marsha i was sleeve on July 8th.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • alysia.rush

      UPDATE: 
      I was down to lowest weight of 117, kept around 123 for couple years, but recently due to covid gained back. got back up to 146, been trying to bounce back some and right now am at 140. Goal 117-120 ish.
      Experimenting with Macros:
      Keto- 900 calories
      Fat 75%, Net carbs 5%, Protein 20%.
      7/17/21: Day one: lightheaded, tired, randown, headache, not really that hungery, but thinking of food consistently, also but out alcohol and sugar, blah.
       
      · 2 replies
      1. Candace76

        Wishing you luck to get back where you want to be!😊

      2. alysia.rush

        Thank you!

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×