Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op and I’M STARVING!!!

There’s a good chance it’s not really hunger pangs as you’re used to. The stomach will still churn and contract when empty, and release acid as before. But now you have a fresh wound there making those sensations far more pronounced. I had the same thing after surgery and thought “what the hell are people talking about they don’t feel hunger pangs anymore?!” But after a week or so it did subside and until about two weeks ago (8 months out) I literally did not feel hunger once.
You’re not dying, and it will get better, but no matter what you can’t give in, or you will be in a world of pain and could cause serious injury.

3 hours ago, Slightly Less Fatty Matty said:

There’s a good chance it’s not really hunger pangs as you’re used to. The stomach will still churn and contract when empty, and release acid as before. But now you have a fresh wound there making those sensations far more pronounced. I had the same thing after surgery and thought “what the hell are people talking about they don’t feel hunger pangs anymore?!” But after a week or so it did subside and until about two weeks ago (8 months out) I literally did not feel hunger once.
You’re not dying, and it will get better, but no matter what you can’t give in, or you will be in a world of pain and could cause serious injury.

I totally agree with this. I still every now and then think I am hungry, and I lean to the side and it corrects itself straight away. I am 6 weeks post op.

If you are not already on some stomac acid reducers ask your doctor what you can use. I was able to use over the counter nexium.

Did your doctor order you some sort of pepcid? It helps with the spasms and excess acid. It made me sick my first few days but now I cant go a day without it. If you believe you're feeling hungry, can you have another shake since that's the thickest beverage? Or maybe have a popsicle or Jello and trick your stomach into thinking its eating? I'm sorry that you're hungry. I actually have not felt hunger since my surgery 9 days ago.

I was starving days after my surgery, too. And literally...we are starving. Our bodies are consuming a tremendous amount of calories healing and we've been on extremely restrictive diets and will continue to be. No way to sugar coat it....it's kind of miserable and you've just gotta survive it. Eventually, you do eat reasonable amounts of calories again and start to feel better. You'll be tempted to jump ahead and taste things....don't do it, it's not safe. Let your stomach heal properly. Hang in there. I had insane food dreams, felt weak, and absolutely hated the first month after surgery. Minding the rules is so important for your safety right after surgery. I swear it gets better.

Wow, I am 6 months post op, and I never feel hungry. I have to force myself to eat. Whatever you do, don't eat anything with sugar. I made that mistake and was so sick.

Can I ask what your hunger feels like now? I'm still trying to figure out what each new sensation means and nothing feels like it used to.

I was hungry the entire liquid stage- I felt like I didn’t even have surgery! It made sense when the nurse said it’s because liquid just goes straight through without filling your stomach. As soon as I started soft solids - snap- I’m full and not hungry!

I wasn't hungry the first 10 days at all. Though, once I hit day 10, it all changed. Now, at 7 weeks out, I actually DO get hungry. I used to get gradually hungry before surgery. Now, it's either I am not hungry at all or I feel weak/nauseous from hunger and it hits all at once.

Some say you can't be hungry after surgery but my surgeon said you could be. So, I guess each doctor has their own take. When you get to the pureed stage, it does get a lot better. It's even better than that when you get to the real food stage and can have good, nutritious food.

Good luck! It's all worth it in the end!