Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Should I Pack For VSG Surgery?

I kept my list pretty simple. Biotene Dry Mouth spray, charging cords for tablet and phone, toothbrush/toothpaste, face wipes. I wore the same clothes out that I wore in since I was in a hospital gown the entire time. I only spent 26 hours at the hospital, so I didn't really need anything else.

6 hours ago, AstoldbyLindsey said:

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and my surgery is scheduled for Feb. 8, 2021. I’ve watched a couple videos on what to bring and what not to bring with me to surgery. I wanted to hear from you guys your opinions.

xoxo

I was just coming to ask this exact question!! Thanks for beating me too it.

most people just sleep most of the time they're in the hospital. The only thing I really used was my phone and charger. I brought toiletries, but the hospital gave me a bag of them (toothbrush, small toothpaste, Shampoo - even deodorant!). Biotene is good - I didn't use mine, but a lot of people do - dry mouth after surgery is pretty common. Otherwise, like someone else said, loose comfy clothes to wear home (that are easy to put on). I just wore the same clothes that I wore to the hospital. Other than that...???

22 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

most people just sleep most of the time they're in the hospital. The only thing I really used was my phone and charger. I brought toiletries, but the hospital gave me a bag of them (toothbrush, small toothpaste, Shampoo - even deodorant!). Biotene is good - I didn't use mine, but a lot of people do - dry mouth after surgery is pretty common. Otherwise, like someone else said, loose comfy clothes to wear home (that are easy to put on). I just wore the same clothes that I wore to the hospital. Other than that...???

I agree, a lot less is needed unless your traveling from far/abroad. I feel like most people can get away with bringing nothing but cellphone, Identification and insurance information.

4 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I like to have body/baby wipes around because you cannot bathe for a while but will have a lot of people touching you while in the hospital.

Omg good idea. That’s the last thing I would’ve thought of. Thank you!

30 minutes ago, snowaw said:

I wished I would have had a heating pad for my back during all the gas cramps.

Will they let you use a heating pad in the hospital? (And is the average cord long enough?) I do plan to use mine when I get home.

I brought headphones for my phone. I always have trouble sleeping after surgery and it's calming to listen to music.

I brought a sleep shirt and robe with me - and was glad I did because I didn’t want to flash anyone while walking laps around the hospital unit! The pockets were key: https://amzn.to/3pAXcdn. I wore a t-shirt dress to the hospital, and left wearing the same.

In retrospect, I wish I would have brought earplugs or sleep headphones, because my roommate was a nightmare. https://amzn.to/3tdhNqs.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:37 AM, AstoldbyLindsey said:

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and my surgery is scheduled for Feb. 8, 2021. I’ve watched a couple videos on what to bring and what not to bring with me to surgery. I wanted to hear from you guys your opinions

I’m packing face wipes, hair brush and hair ties, chapstick, toothbrush and toothpaste, yoga pants, crocs, GasX chewables, extra long phone charger and phone. I’ll probably throw in a few more last minute items but that’s most of it. I hear some people bring a sleep mask and ear plugs, too.

Edited by Dogmom68
Adding

1 hour ago, Dogmom68 said:

I’m packing face wipes, hair brush and hair ties, chapstick, toothbrush and toothpaste, yoga pants, crocs, GasX chewables, extra long phone charger and phone. I’ll probably throw in a few more last minute items but that’s most of it. I hear some people bring a sleep mask and ear plugs, too.

RE: GasX chewables: Will the hospital allow you to bring your own meds? I’d be surprised.

Make sure that your yoga pants are very loose around your stomach; you won’t want anything pressing on your incisions!

44 minutes ago, klmvirginia said:

RE: GasX chewables: Will the hospital allow you to bring your own meds? I’d be surprised.

Make sure that your yoga pants are very loose around your stomach; you won’t want anything pressing on your incisions!

Also, I don't think anything chewable is a good idea. You might be better off with the dissolving strips if anything.

22 minutes ago, mweiss1998 said:

1 hour ago, klmvirginia said:

Also, I don't think anything chewable is a good idea. You might be better off with the dissolving strips if anything.

GasX doesn’t make the strips anymore.